Which is the best?

#1
Hi all,

I'm currently doing military fitness course to help me out with my run time so I can pass ADSC, we do a lot of tabbing and hill running in full combats and boots and I am currently wearing a pair of magnums that are shredding my feet to pieces. I am continuously getting blisters and have problems on every exercise we do.

I need to get a new pair of boots that will be comfortable for doing tabs and long distance and mountain walks, but also need to be used as a day to day boot to do fieldcraft and classroom lessons in. In short an all round purpose boot.

I have read around the forum and it would seem that the Lowa and Altberg boots are highly rated. Each having good and bad points, but what is the best one for me? I can't decide what are better, gore-tex or non gore-tex boots?

Any ideas would be most appreciated :D
 
#3
On the goretex/non-goretex note:

Goretex will keep your feet dry.
Non-Goretex won't.

(Putting it as simple as possible).
 
#4
Bollock-chops said:
Go and try them on, have your feet measured correctly, sat down and stood up. Try them on, walk around in them.
I would, but there are no shops around me that sell them, it seems that the only place I would be able to get them is online. :(
 
#5
I know that this may come across as all old fartish, however, I am not trying to be awkward :D

You need to toughen your feet up and this takes time. Start of with just the chosen boot and only walk until you get hot spots, if you want to go further use a zinc oxide tape/vasaline

Don’t walk until your feet are in bits. Over time build the weight and distance (you can go out almost daily). If you toughen the skin on your feet you will find that issue boots are more than adequate.









Sits back and waits to be told he is talking sh*t :D :D
 
#6
CAARPS said:
I know that this may come across as all old fartish, however, I am not trying to be awkward :D

You need to toughen your feet up and this takes time. Start of with just the chosen boot and only walk until you get hot spots, if you want to go further use a zinc oxide tape/vasaline

Don’t walk until your feet are in bits. Over time build the weight and distance (you can go out almost daily). If you toughen the skin on your feet you will find that issue boots are more than adequate.









Sits back and waits to be told he is talking sh*t :D :D

I've been wearing the Magnums for about 5 months, doing different walks and runs in them, but I always have the same problems. I have been using Surgical Spirit to help toughen my feet up but it doesn't seem to help.

I completed the 3 Peaks walk on Tuesday and it's the final straw, my feet are covered in blisters and the skin has peeled everywhere else making it painful to walk on. I think I really need to find another alternative if I am to continue training. :x
 
#7
It is too wide a subject, two pairs of thick socks, one thin cotton inner pair against outer walking socks, I dont agree with the toughening argument (which can include pissing on your feet) its more a getting them used to what you want of them scenario.
 
#8
From personal experience i would very highly recommend a pair of 5.11 Tactical ATAC Storm Boots. Ive had mine for 3 years now and theyve never let me down.

Not only is it a much smarter looking boot than Altbergs or Lowas its also a fraction of the cost at around £90. Comfortable as hell and brilliant for everything you can think of, including a nice long CFT or hill walking, ive never had a blister yet.

Only problem is you can only get them online and from reading some of your posts im guessing your looking for a proper shop.
 
#9
Bollock-chops said:
It is too wide a subject, two pairs of thick socks, one thin cotton inner pair against outer walking socks, I dont agree with the toughening argument (which can include pissing on your feet) its more a getting them used to what you want of them scenario.

I agree, it really is horses for courses, I did Nijmegan the other year with one pair of socks and issue boots, we started training in the January for an event in July.

I guess some peoples feet shapes are more suited to different types of boot, however, regardless of what boot you wear you still have to put the long hard miles in
 
#10
Little_Miss said:
Bollock-chops said:
Go and try them on, have your feet measured correctly, sat down and stood up. Try them on, walk around in them.
I would, but there are no shops around me that sell them, it seems that the only place I would be able to get them is online. :(
Buy online and try. If they don't suit you return them within 1 week under the Distance Selling Regulations, as is your right to do so. :D
 
#11
Over time I have tried different things to help improve the comfort. I have found that wearing a thin cotton sock under a thick walking sock helps but I still have the same problems.

I'm more concerned now as I have a 42 mile walk in 3 weeks and I dont think that my feet will be able remain blister free for more then 5 miles. Dropping out isnt really an option I want to take.
 

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
#12
CAARPS said:
Bollock-chops said:
It is too wide a subject, two pairs of thick socks, one thin cotton inner pair against outer walking socks, I dont agree with the toughening argument (which can include pissing on your feet) its more a getting them used to what you want of them scenario.

I agree, it really is horses for courses, I did Nijmegan the other year with one pair of socks and issue boots, we started training in the January for an event in July.

I guess some peoples feet shapes are more suited to different types of boot, however, regardless of what boot you wear you still have to put the long hard miles in

caarps is spot on, if it fits wear it. this is not crow 101. good luck
 
#13
The army will choose a boot that suits the majority, first port of call has to be what is issued to you, it statistically should be good for you. Assuming you do not had the average foot then go find what is comfortable.

Put a good middle/long distance runner in a pair of wellys, they will beat the average squaddie in a run as they are fitter.

Comfortable boots will not make you a good tabber/runner, but may make the journey acceptible.
 
#14
Bollock-chops said:
The army will choose a boot that suits the majority, first port of call has to be what is issued to you, it statistically should be good for you. Assuming you do not had the average foot then go find what is comfortable.

Put a good middle/long distance runner in a pair of wellys, they will beat the average squaddie in a run as they are fitter.

Comfortable boots will not make you a good tabber/runner, but may make the journey acceptible.
I understand what your saying, I know that the boots will not make me fitter, its just a case of finding a pair of boots that don't cause as much damage to my feet. I haven't been issued with a pair of boots, I purchased the magnums about 3 years ago when I was a cadet, they were mainly for going on the ranges with, I had no intension of using them for running or walking in.

It is only now that I have started the training that I have begun using them again, and to be honest I need a new pair as they begining to break anyway.
 
#15
Little_Miss said:
I'm more concerned now as I have a 42 mile walk in 3 weeks and I dont think that my feet will be able remain blister free for more then 5 miles. Dropping out isnt really an option I want to take.
By "buy online and try", I mean try as in at home or on a treadmill, but not miles in the outdoors....
 
#16
IndependentBoffin said:
Little_Miss said:
I'm more concerned now as I have a 42 mile walk in 3 weeks and I dont think that my feet will be able remain blister free for more then 5 miles. Dropping out isnt really an option I want to take.
By "buy online and try", I mean try as in at home or on a treadmill, but not miles in the outdoors....
I kind of figured that. :D but with only a few weeks until the walk I don't have time to keep trying boots on and sending them back. If I had, it would be the perfect solution, but unfortunatly it hasn't worked out like that.
 
#17
It sounds like your boots are a poor fit on your feet, i would guess that they are too large in volume, allowing your foor to rub more against the nylon linings in the boots. I would try and pack them out. For tabbing, the heel of your for should not move (or move very little) when taking a step in the boots, make sure this is happening. You could try larger insoles, such as Sorborthanes or Superfeet and several paris of good quality (e.g. Smartwoll exped brand, brasher, thorlos) socks. This should help prevent the friction, preventing the blistering.

On the side, i would veer away from the surgical spirit route. This can dry out the skin far too much. You said that "the skin has peeled everywhere" this is one side effect of over use of surgical spirit, i think this is a major cause of your problems.

Finaly, you might want to consider they use of medicated foot powder, NOT scented baby powder, proper stuff, such as mycota, to help prevent your sking from softening too much from sweat, another major cause of blistering.
 
#18
Other quick wee tip - keep your toe-nails properly trimmed, cut them straight and don't follow the line of the nail round the toe.

Seems obvious I know, but it is better being obvious than risking ingrowing toenails, especially on the big toes.

Hurts like hell

For boots, I would go with the ones suggested above that fit in your price range. I only ever wore Boots Combat Concrete, Assault Boots and Magnums so have no other advice on the boots thing.

Best of luck on your marching thing.

Tam
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#19
Magnums, I had an issue pair about 14 years ago (and still do), they were fine for everything but on a course onthe hills, and I mean the hills with weight they started to give me blisters so I went back to assault boots. It might be me but I got the impression that there was too much lateral padding in the boot so when I was walking up or down a hill with weight, instead of 80KG of me, I was 130+KG and this meant that my foot had more push ergo more travel in the boot ergo more friction. I'd been in about 10 years at this stage and my feet were the narly dead skin blocks that training required.

On that subject, having been out for 7 years now, my feet are as soft and supple as a 13 year olds bum.

My advice, pick the pair that you want and they'll be fine, don't stress it and write the magnums off.
 
#20
CAARPS said:
Start of with just the chosen boot and only walk until you get hot spots, if you want to go further use a zinc oxide tape/vasaline
Try a good coating of Vaseline around the effected areas of your feet. If you can stand the smell try Coachaline, available from good saddlers or tack stores, which will help to look after the leather on your boots as well.

As has been said above , there are a lot of variables: size/ fit, socks, lacing, all of which could influence how you get blisters. It might not be the boots, rather it could be HOW you are wearing them.

Have a look here as well How to lace boots to prevent blisters
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top