Which is the best to Join?

Hi there , I'm starting university in September I'm just wanting to know which is better to join while in uni,
Uotc or the Army Reserves as an Officer?
Reason being I'm hoping to go to Sandhurst once I've graduated and just wanting to get a grasp of army life prior to Sandhurst.

Hi there , I'm starting university in September I'm just wanting to know which is better to join while in uni,
Uotc or the Army Reserves as an Officer?
Reason being I'm hoping to go to Sandhurst once I've graduated and just wanting to get a grasp of army life prior to Sandhurst.
It depends what you want out of it.

UOTC will be filled with people roughly your own age; a bit of a drinking club with shooting. AR will be more serious, but possibly have better (Military, not adventurous training) opportunities.

Go and visit both & see which you prefer. If you’re going to (regular) Sandhurst after uni, they will teach you what you need to know - in their own style.

I was in a UOTC and loved it

Last edited:
UOTC, just don't believe you are on anyway an officer. We had one in Fremington 26 years ago demanding us basic training Cfn's salute him. Didn't go down too well.

I left the regular army to go in to higher education as a mature student as the prelude to pursuing a different career route. At the time I had no desire or ambition to go back in to uniform, in any way shape or form, but came across the OTC at Freshers Week and decided it made sense to learn and earn this way. I had an absolute ball in every respect.

As an ex-sapper I was particularly attracted to the fact that CUOTC had a very active RE wing which I signed up for (though my understanding is that most OTCs are solely Infantry orientated). I absolutely maxed out the opportunities that came my way, both in a military and social capacity. We were regularly at Gib Barracks doing aspects of combat engineer training, spent other weekends away training with reserve RE field units, I was attached to reserve infantry units for a fortnight when they went on their summer exercises in Europe, enjoyed untold outward bound / recreational opportunities and even ended up on a fortnight jaunt / exercise to Ascension Island. Leadership opportunities were integral, in one form or another, to most of this.

Long story short, unlike you, I approached the whole OTC question in an arse backwards manner dictated by my past circumstances. As an ex-regular I had a good idea as to what level this was going to be in comparison to my service, that said it was genuinely well structured and run and provided good opportunities for those coming from a non-mil background looking for basic experience / insight into the generic officer route.

The OTC will allow you to develop at a more natural pace whilst studying, whereas, if you went straight to the reserve commission route you will be placing more immediate pressure on you to perform effectively in an immediate leadership capacity whilst trying to successfully get through your studies..

Latest Threads