Which HDMI cable?

I am a complete and utter technomong and I'm attempting to connect my PC to a telly. Are all HDMI cables the same or do I need to ensure it meets a certain criteria?

Thanks geeks,

P-T

As long as it's HDMI 1.4 spec, cheapest you can find in Lidl/Aldi/Ebay will do the job just as well as the £29.99 - £99.99 rip-offs in Dixons, Johm Lewis etc.

I'd add don't buy a cheap shit cable, get something half decent from Currys etc.

I was setting up a digital projector and an active DTS amp for the headshed conference during the summer, and was getting all sorts of weird display errors, which I thought (wrongly) was down to display drivers or refresh rate, and the amp wouldn't "kick" either. Turned out the brand new cheapo HDMI cables were both borked. The cheap ones won't take any kind of punishment (applies to CAT5s too).

There are plenty of internet companies doing good deals on HDMI cables.

Carry out a Google search and save a fortune over the high street (or out of town, mahoosive retail outlet super malls etc).

I recently required a 3m cable and managed to get a tinterweb deal of about £6, including postage, saving about a tenner.

Don't listen to the "buy an expensive one brigade". There is some truth in that for analogue signals, eg speakers. For digital signals it either works or it doesn't.

Retailer calls rivals' bluff on "HDMI scam" | News | PC Pro

Buyer's guide to HDMI cables | Buying Guides | Features | PC Pro

http://forums.reghardware.com/forum/1/2011/07/04/kogan_uk_retail_hdmi_grumble/
True. Having said that, I had some cheap HDMI cables that actually started disintegrating, the amazon ones are of good quality and are gonna last, and not fall apart, even if dropped.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

One of the things that are supposed to be "get what you pay for" that I've never had a problem with.
I suppose a pound shop special or something off a market stall might fail to make the grade, but spend a fiver and I doubt you'll go wrong.

Thanks one and all, will be ordering some tonight. Comet tried to sell me a 'discounted' one at £89!!!! Robbing twats!
That's why they've gone into administration - their business model relies on ignorant/desperate consumers who either don't have a choice or don't know any better. Thankfully there are fewer of them about these days.

Digital signal cables can make a difference depending on the type of signal being conveyed. For video and DVD/Blu Ray sound HDMI is fine.

However if you're a serious audio boffin it is best avoided for music playback.

How many £2 cables are going to disintegrate on you before the £20 one PC World scam you for suddenly seems like value? Get yourself on eBay where there's loads of selection at phenomenal prices.

The HDMI standard says that all cables are tested to the same level of signal quality up to 10m of cable length, so cheap or expensive, long or short, they should be fine. A lot of people report 30m+ cables to be perfectly viable as well.

When Dixons shut up shop, I got a load of different cables at 99p each. I expect the final days of Comet will see similar attempts to liquidate their stock, take advantage of it, but leave some for me.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
+1 on Amazon. I just bought some cheapass HDMI and cat5e cables from Amazon, and they were a) cheap as shit and b) work just fine. Why pay more for a commodity item? The "brands" are trying to add value to what is essentially a commodity item.
careful - the Apple Gestapo will be round soon to give you a talking to for not using the 'official' cat5 iCable (only £300 from your local iRipoff merchants.)

;)

That's why they've gone into administration - their business model relies on ignorant/desperate consumers who either don't have a choice or don't know any better. Thankfully there are fewer of them about these days.
You alluding to chavs who play with petrol and remove junior chavs & chavettes from gene pool?

Unfortunately, the gullible live on in many guises as illustrated on this thread by the "buy an expensive hdmi cable" proponents

You alluding to chavs who play with petrol and remove junior chavs & chavettes from gene pool?

Unfortunately, the gullible live on in many guises as illustrated on this thread by the "buy an expensive hdmi cable" proponents
An expensive cable confers few advantages except in controlled circumstances. For ordinary use the differences are unlikely to be palpable.

HDMI ought be avoided for serious audio use, not owing to the quality of the cables, but the quality of HDMI itself for conveying audio signals (very high levels of broadband jitter, which can raise the noise floor and/or introduce distortions).

Ah, One of Mick Watlings demos doing the length of Greenpar ! !

We just concluded the 3dB loss myth came from the 'Other' technician trade who couldn't solder for toffee and relied on board bashing :)

Back on thread though, Asda £1.99 HDMI cable on my home TV with no dramas what so ever.

We (radio tech instructors) did an analysis of this at the Royal School of Signals for shits and giggles. There's an old school of thought that said that "every connector you add to a coax increases the loss by 3dB" or some such bollox. It's absolute horseshit. There's a set of coax connector adaptors called "Greenpar", or at least there was. We assembled a massive connector chain from several of these kits, and pumped various signal combinations through it. Being a radio school, we had a shed load of Carlos Fandango signal generators, rectum paralyzers and the like. The results were exactly in line with what you would expect the coax cable to do, and nothing at all to do with the connectors.

One of the students was a car audio buff (or prototype chav, depending on how you look at it), and had a load of expensive cables in his motor. We got him to bring them in, and we repeated the test. IIRC we compared his multi-hundred pound setup with some D10 or 50-pair. There was barely any difference.

The only thing we could think of for the connector myth was that if you connect two cables together, you double its length, thus double the loss. But sod all to do with how many connectors you use to do that.

I got myself a HDMI cable from the 99p store for my PS3. Not the longest cable in the world and perhaps the build quality might not be all that, but the picture's fine and 1 year later, it's still going strong.

Latest Threads