Which GPS?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by dwill, Feb 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone wish to suggest a GPS?

Preferably from their experience.

Would like it to link up with Memory Map.
  2. Is it for walking?

With the variety available it's difficult to make a suggestion without knowing what you intend using it for.
  3. Whats wrong with a Silva Compass and OS map, never go wrong mate :D
  4. Ah, Walking, maybe posing :)
  5. Indeed, but no pose value.

It's to supplement the Compass, and so I can play back home with the route actual taken etc, :)
  6. I've had a Garmin GPS 12 for a couple of years now - therefore probably out of date - but it's done all I wanted of it.

Consider whether you just want a fixing aid for walking about or whether you ned a more swept up navigation system for vehicles/aircraft/boats with waypoints and track keeping and so on.

A very important consideration is battery life - my Garmin eats them, but as I only really use it as a fixing aid and switch it off when not in use, it's not a problem. If you are moving at even Landy speeds and need it switched on all the time to plot track made good and so on, battery life might be a bit more of an issue.
  7. Are you going to upload Memory Map to it or just routes?
  8. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

I've got a Garmin eTrex Legend, which i use with Memory Map (get the latest version off their website)
    I love it. Good features and easy to use.

9. Certainly the routes, not aware that you can upload the actual maps, will that bump up the price?
  10. Go for one of the Garmin range.

I also use mine linked with my laptop with Fugawa OS-UK softwear and also Autoroute for in-car navigation - excellent kit.
  11. I use a Garmin Venture and I download all the world maps to it so its great for holidays, tours exercises and everything.

Just like Plastic Squaddie said any of the Garmin range are good and reasonably priced.
  12. I would of love one that did one thing and one thing only, told me my 6/8 fig grid ref.

Thats all, many a cold windsept mountainside suffering from fatigue, malnoutrition and being to have hallucinations I wish i had one, just to make sure the cnut I was following was going the right way :wink:
  13. Got to be Garmin,

I had a 38 sold it on Ebay, bought a Legend from Ebay, £115 plus P & P, bought Metroguide v6 from Ebay.. soes I can use it for work and holidays in France,(wife is navigationally challenged ..bless her).

Great display,light as anything, great bit of kit.

If you use Peer to Peer software, you can problably find Mapsource software.

Use mine all the time now, ...

Legend, Vista or Venture you won't go wrong, depends on your budget thats all
  14. use a Garmin Etrex meself, (although prefer a map and Silva compass..)

I would suggest one of the higher models sold by Garmin.
  15. I've been using an etrex Legend with Memory Map for several months without any problems. You can't load the maps onto the device from MM, but you can certainly transfer routes, tracklogs and waypoints. If you want maps to put on the handheld, you'll need to get hold of the Garmin mapping CDs from their website or ebay. I don't think much of the mapping function on the legend though; any of the etrex range will be plenty good enough.