Which GPS should Mrs sknn get me for Xmas

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BuggerAll, Dec 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I know GPS has been discussed b4, but there's always new kit out there.

Mrs sknn wants to get me a GPS for Xmas. What should I tell her to get ma?

Obviously I'd like one thats suitable for military use, but I'd also like to be able to hook it up to my PDA and use it in the car and perhaps even use it on the motorbike. If it could brew tea and organise a good beer and curry that would be an added bonus...

And Mrs sknn would like to spend less than £4.99.

2. May I sugest www.streetmap.co.uk, as far as I'm aware the military has no issue with it, you can hook it up to your PDA if you have activesync, it's pretty sh1te in the car unless you have 3G and I've tried balancing a laptop on the tank of my bike but it fell off, it can't brew tea either but it can point you in the way of a cafe, curry house and pubs............................and Mrs sknn will be glad to know it's all for free!!

"less than £4.99" You from the north? :wink: :wink:

3. I'm back in the sand shortly. Has anyone experienced the

Garmin range with the Iraq mil map already downloaded

Being flogged at about 500-600 quid

Is this just marketing or a worthy purchase

TheGimp

4. I have the TomTom 700, a gret bit of kit all the Europe maps loaded on a mini hard drive, not sure if it has any Military use but it can point you in the direction of places to eat and get a brew.

Sparky

5. The one that tells you where you are at any given point. The cheaper it is, the less gutted you will be when it gets scudded on ex

6. 500-600 quid, get a feckin map not a mortgage!! But a serious question, I'm in the market for a handheld GPS, what is the best??

Answers soon though please, me bro is in the states for a few more days and I can get it cheap if he gets it over there!!!

7. jmj

jmj Old-Salt

I use a Garmin etrex legend i picked up in the PX over there.. Comes with a serial cable for linking to your PC. Around 160 US dollars in a PX, or a little more if bought here. Works well with memory map for uploading / downloading waypoints / routes.

J

8. If you are getting GPS abroad, make sure it can use the OSGB datum if you want it for the UK, as well as any other areas you may want to visit.

For UK, my fave is TomTom, which you can get for Pocket PC and the like, as well as the TomTom 700, 300 and Go self-contained units for the car.

Road mapping and lat/lon as opposed to grids refs, but the dog's for driver navigation.

It also has an upload capability for databases so you can store the locations of speed cameras (with proximity warnings), Mc Donalds etc etc.

9. JB

JB Clanker

Like everything, depends what you want it to do - for a quick grid fix every man and his dog seems to have the various dinky wee Garmins that look like novelty lighters. For my money though I'd recommend a Magellan Sportrak, because:
    1) much more rugged (shock-proof, water-proof, etc) - yes I am Inf, I've had mine a year and not completely broken it, which is a good result;
    2) runs on AA batteries, not AAA, so you can 'aquire' them through the system - allegedly;
    3) has a different type of antena to Garmins ('quadrophonic' or somesuch), which gives much better reception in over-head cover (forestry, built-up areas, etc) - yes, this has been the subject of an unplanned 'field test' with the rest of a recce patrol on SENTA;
    That's my 2p-worth - for a GPS you can depend on to give you a quick fix to avoid/remedy navigational embarassment, without too many bone 'extra-features' that's your man. Most are pretty good these days though, and lightyears away from the stoneage stuff that was around 10 years ago. Which probably means that to flog my previous one on e-bay I will need to reveal that it was in fact "the GPS, used by Bravo-Two-Zero, when they, this one time at band-camp..."
    Incidentally, who these nobbers are that you see using GPS in the cars on the motorway, I do not know...

10. Learn to mapread using a compass first.....

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Thanx good advice, I can, but now I want to make my life easier, and reasure the troops that we won't get lost and that we will get home ASAP.

12. FYI

This is the bit of kit

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2641.html

Bit strange, must be paid for by bank tranfer only etc etc

Maps and compass are great, but when Mr Murphy calls its nice to have some techno back up and these on the face of look handy, If V V pricy

TheGimp