Which earns more money...

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by msr, May 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Raffles or an auction?

I know I cannot (currently) match some of the money being bid, but could throw in the odd tenner for a raffle.

Do the raffles generate more cash than the auctions?

2. Surely it depends on what is being raffled/auctioned?

There have only been 2 raffles (as far as I'm aware), so possibly not enough to compare?
  3. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

That's interesting, cause we're thinking about some Challenge Coin raffles as well at the moment.

We will give it a try next week. :)
  4. I agree that I cannot really match any of the bids but would be happy to throw in a tenner with a chance of something.

But I'm making a special effort to save for my Arrse maidens calendar :p
  5. Well, I'm always keen for the raffles - my studenty balances are too painful to bid for more than £10-30, and nothing goes for that low a price.

Watching the auctions are more entertaining though.
  6. As the question is being asked, would anyone like me to raffle one of the final two photos I'm putting up or shall I keep them as auctions? :D
  7. Raffle it.

Means that penniless no-good-for-nothing layabouts students like myself can bid!

Besides, previous one went for £101, right? I reckon you'll sell more than ten tickets.
  8. Sorry to hijack this thread, but who on here do i need to pm reference prizes as i may be able to throw a really good prize for a H4H raffle or auction style way (total value of prize approx £300)
  9. MSR, YIM, MDN or info@holidays4heroes.com I believe.
  10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

This is the one.

11. okay will do when i get home because DII stops us from sending out email. Many thanks
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well you can have a known price Raffle.

E.g. sell tickets at a quid and when 100 have been sold make the draw - that way you can spend anything from a quid to a ton depending on much you desire the prize.
  13. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Having done both a raffle and an auction (Tullibardine whisky) I should think you d make at least as much with a raffle. It involves a wee bit more work in terms of PMs etc by the raffle-r (does such a word exist? :roll: ) but does give those of us who are a bit less blessed financially a chance to win.

Hope that helps. Owl
  14. YIM, Some have made very good points here, they want to make Bids on the coins but they are being beaten each time, I think you should Raffle not 1 Coin at a time but all the coins you wish to raffle in the one raffle, make it 2 weeks, a lot better having 5 winning tickets than just 1, you could also make a rule to be fair that only 1 coin can be won by 1 arrse member...

Up to you, your baby and all that when it comes to the auctions... make sure you add a Gucchi certificate of authenticity with each one, maybe even with one of those Red Hot Boob pics thrown in 8)