Which Dramas got it right??

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Myss, Apr 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, so Ultimate Force is back as we know and general feeling (and my own) is that the actors make this programme more a comedy than real grit 'n' teeth drama (and not helped by that shoddy website either), but what drama depicting our 'uniformed heroes' has got it right? Casualty? Professionals? The Bill? Soldier Soldier? In particular police dramas as everytime you blink there's one on the tv. :wink:
  2. The Office. :D
  3. Blackadder?
  4. All quiet on the preston front .should do an up date called "oh bollocks i'm in iraq" :lol:
  5. Warriors by the BBC set in Bosnia
  6. Dads Army?, it was pretty dramatic to me after the 347th repeat.
  7. There was a Series in the early 70's called Spearhead about an Inf Bn that never got repeated. That was fairly good. :wink:
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

The was a film about N.I in the 70's ,Based on a book& for the life of me,I cant remember either titles! One bit I do remember is a bomb goes off in a RUC/Army enquiries office,killing a soldier I think.
  9. That happened ,Springfield Road RUC station, Sgt Willits if I recall correct, used himself as a shield to protect civilians in the station,I think he got the George Cross .
  10. The BBc film was called 'a breed of heroes' came out in 94 for the 25th anniversary and yes it was very good. As I wasn't in Belfast in 1970 can't comment on authenticity, but it got the atmospohere of a regiment (including deranged Colonel and OC with Aden stories and too much hair) down to a tee.
  11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Cheers for that! That's the one I was thinking about.I had the book but lost it.(another one to track down!)
    What did you think of the film about the Falklands? Tumbledown,I think it was called? From what I remember,it caused a bit of a stir.
  12. Well, it fcuking certainly wasn't 'Shipmates' or 'Making Waves' :evil:
  13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Sailor? (the one that Rod had the hit single from)

The Paras & Fighter Pilot were good.
  14. Sailor yes-but that was made in the 70's. Shipmates had the potential to be good but they chose to follow around a 22 year leading hand as the main personality-not ideal for recruitment.

Anyone remember that army documentary that followed around those 2 slappers (out of a cast of thousands!) in Colchester iin the mid/lateish 90's?
  15. Oh God yes!
    They lived on Greenstead estate IIRC
    Chavs before the word had been invented
    A far bit of time in the Coach and Horses- top of North Hill yes?

The mess Webley would be too good for them.