Which Day Sack? Yes, I have searched..

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mongo, May 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Hey all,

Just as a point to note, I did search through this subforum, and I didn't find the results I wanted..

Anyway, I am looking to purchase a DPM day sack for use in the Cadets, and hopefully later on when I'm in the Army.

I don't want to spend over £100 (a lot of beer tokens..), and have found these two packs..
    Karrimor Sabre 45

Lowe Alpine Stike 40 (which I believe turns into a 60 with the side pouches?)

If I could get your opinions that would be good, I've read that the Karrimor iis a decent bit of kit, but have heard nothing about the Lowe Alpine.

Thanks all,

2. just buy either a berhaus munro
    or NI pack
    ive had a NI pack for about 5 years and its still going strong nothing wrong wi it both of them if you look ar a bout 50 quid
  3. Ive got the Karrimor at the minute and its great. If you trawl around the net you can get get them for about £45. Cant remember what site I got mine from. The ever faithful Munro is always a winner too, I had mine for 10 years and used it on 7 op tours and although battered it was still useable.

Personally think the Karrimor is a better daysack nowadays.
  4. £100 for a daysack seems like a lot of cash!
    Personally i'd suggest the PLCE patrol sack (Genuine Issued one that is) as it's tough and is quite a good size. They are sold all over the place new or used, PM me for a couple of good stockists.
    The plus side of buying an issued sack is if you do join up or you know someone freindly in the stores and your patrol sack has been used and abused, faded, damaged in some way you might be able to exchange it?

Both the daysacks in the links look like they are quality and good makes but the cost shows that.

5. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

I looked at the Munro, but personally I think it'd be a bit small..

The NI Patrol Pack is another option, but its not too different in price from the Karrimor, and the Karrimor looks a lot more comfortable to be honest.

Thanks for the advice though.

Also, Mag to grid, have you had any problems using your Karrimor and PLCE webbing, if you've worn both together..?

6. Absolutely none whatsover, its really comfortable plus the lid can be pulled down really low so you can lie in the prone with your helmet on, something I found hard with the Munro.
  7. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Ok, thank you.
  8. I've found that Snugpak do some good day sacks, comfortable and with practicle side pouches and top pouch.
  9. The NI is fairly comfortable; it isn't rigid (so that it can be stuffed into a bergen) but it has a padded back, so if you pack it well it's reasonable good to carry, and it works with webbing.
  10. You obviously weren't looking hard enough as there was a thread on this subject just a couple of weeks or so ago.

Try here.
  11. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Thanks for the link, but I think 25 litres will be too small.

I did find some recent threads, but I specifically wanted to ask about the Lowe Alpine versus the Karrimor..
  12. For value and sheer versatility I'd go for the HM Supplies Ronum daysack

Unfortunately, they have a photo of a different sac altogether on the site, but the Ronum is deeper and wider and a more practical, less fussy design than many others. It has been designed from the outset for soldiering rather than outdoor pursuits, then adapted for soldiering.

It will also take the PLCE side pouches to make it a 60ltr sac.
  13. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Ah, that sounds like a good option..

Are you able to take any pictures of it? I'd really appreciate it.
  14. I'll have a go tonight. Taking the piccies is not the problem, its uploading them here, as I only have a mobile/3g link to t'internet presently.