• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Which Day Sack? Yes, I have searched..

Mongo

MIA
Kit Reviewer
Hey all,

Just as a point to note, I did search through this subforum, and I didn't find the results I wanted..

Anyway, I am looking to purchase a DPM day sack for use in the Cadets, and hopefully later on when I'm in the Army.

I don't want to spend over £100 (a lot of beer tokens..), and have found these two packs..
http://www.pri.uk.com/ksf/sabre45.html
Karrimor Sabre 45

http://www.lowealpine.com/Products/...uctGroupID=958&Position=5&SpecificActivityID=
Lowe Alpine Stike 40 (which I believe turns into a 60 with the side pouches?)

If I could get your opinions that would be good, I've read that the Karrimor iis a decent bit of kit, but have heard nothing about the Lowe Alpine.

Thanks all,

TRSL

just buy either a berhaus munro
or NI pack
ive had a NI pack for about 5 years and its still going strong nothing wrong wi it both of them if you look ar a bout 50 quid

Ive got the Karrimor at the minute and its great. If you trawl around the net you can get get them for about £45. Cant remember what site I got mine from. The ever faithful Munro is always a winner too, I had mine for 10 years and used it on 7 op tours and although battered it was still useable.

Personally think the Karrimor is a better daysack nowadays.

£100 for a daysack seems like a lot of cash!
Personally i'd suggest the PLCE patrol sack (Genuine Issued one that is) as it's tough and is quite a good size. They are sold all over the place new or used, PM me for a couple of good stockists.
The plus side of buying an issued sack is if you do join up or you know someone freindly in the stores and your patrol sack has been used and abused, faded, damaged in some way you might be able to exchange it?

Both the daysacks in the links look like they are quality and good makes but the cost shows that.

RE

Mongo

MIA
Kit Reviewer
I looked at the Munro, but personally I think it'd be a bit small..

The NI Patrol Pack is another option, but its not too different in price from the Karrimor, and the Karrimor looks a lot more comfortable to be honest.

Thanks for the advice though.

Also, Mag to grid, have you had any problems using your Karrimor and PLCE webbing, if you've worn both together..?

TRSL said:
I looked at the Munro, but personally I think it'd be a bit small..

The NI Patrol Pack is another option, but its not too different in price from the Karrimor, and the Karrimor looks a lot more comfortable to be honest.

Thanks for the advice though.

Also, Mag to grid, have you had any problems using your Karrimor and PLCE webbing, if you've worn both together..?

Absolutely none whatsover, its really comfortable plus the lid can be pulled down really low so you can lie in the prone with your helmet on, something I found hard with the Munro.

Mongo

MIA
Kit Reviewer
Mag_to_grid said:
TRSL said:

Absolutely none whatsover, its really comfortable plus the lid can be pulled down really low so you can lie in the prone with your helmet on, something I found hard with the Munro.

Ok, thank you.

The NI is fairly comfortable; it isn't rigid (so that it can be stuffed into a bergen) but it has a padded back, so if you pack it well it's reasonable good to carry, and it works with webbing.

Mongo

MIA
Kit Reviewer
BuckFelize said:
You obviously weren't looking hard enough as there was a thread on this subject just a couple of weeks or so ago.

Try here.

Thanks for the link, but I think 25 litres will be too small.

I did find some recent threads, but I specifically wanted to ask about the Lowe Alpine versus the Karrimor..

For value and sheer versatility I'd go for the HM Supplies Ronum daysack

http://hmsupplies.com/catalogue/65.htm

Unfortunately, they have a photo of a different sac altogether on the site, but the Ronum is deeper and wider and a more practical, less fussy design than many others. It has been designed from the outset for soldiering rather than outdoor pursuits, then adapted for soldiering.

It will also take the PLCE side pouches to make it a 60ltr sac.

Mongo

MIA
Kit Reviewer
walt_of_the_walts said:

Unfortunately, they have a photo of a different sac altogether on the site, but the Ronum is deeper and wider and a more practical, less fussy design than many others. It has been designed from the outset for soldiering rather than outdoor pursuits, then adapted for soldiering.

Ah, that sounds like a good option..

Are you able to take any pictures of it? I'd really appreciate it.

TRSL said:
walt_of_the_walts said:

Ah, that sounds like a good option..

Are you able to take any pictures of it? I'd really appreciate it.
I'll have a go tonight. Taking the piccies is not the problem, its uploading them here, as I only have a mobile/3g link to t'internet presently.

as long as you don't buy webtex or one of the export plce day sac's everything should be ok apart from the dutch daysacs they are for gayers :D

the bigger the daysac the more stuff you can fit in.
good you may think
not so good when the QM gives you 60 litres of link you don't even want to know how much that weighs :evil:
good points the snugpack pack didn't break :eek:
better point it was'nt me dumb enough to carry that load :D

ok mate you are only looking at pictures on a website the guys that are out the on the ground use day sacks day in and day out the munro and NI pack are 2 of the most well used day sack that the guys are working with and with good results . karrimor are a civi brand with some forces connections where as berghaus has a running history with the forces and you cant beat the NI pack because it was designed for the specific use you can pick oneup without any rips and scrathches for about 50 quid have a look at some ops pics with guy with day sacks they usualy have munros or NI's take the advise given the ones that work the best are the ones that some of the people on here use day in and out and the swear by them like me

bawheed said:
ok mate you are only looking at pictures on a website the guys that are out the on the ground use day sacks day in and day out the munro and NI pack are 2 of the most well used day sack that the guys are working with and with good results . karrimor are a civi brand with some forces connections where as berghaus has a running history with the forces and you cant beat the NI pack because it was designed for the specific use you can pick oneup without any rips and scrathches for about 50 quid have a look at some ops pics with guy with day sacks they usualy have munros or NI's take the advise given the ones that work the best are the ones that some of the people on here use day in and out and the swear by them like me
I have been using the Ronum sac for a year, and its the best I've ever used. I bought one after a reccomendation by an SF acquaintance, who said it was the most useful bit of kit he had ever bought, and still has his 10 years on.

You can get used to your Lowe Alpine or whatever, and pack everything in the same place every time; even give it a name if you like, but once you actually join, you'll have to use the issue through basic; most likely the NI, unless you're unfortunate enough to have to use rocketpacks.
I personally wouldn't want to use the civvy rucksacks; they are fine on their own, but a bitch with webbing, as they are designed to have most of the weight on your waist, and you don't always want to use the waist belt when patrolling, otherwise you can't get the thing off quickly. Bawheed said it; they're designed by civvies, and you don't see many experienced blokes using them, do you?

never heard of mornum let alone seen one are the invisible like your mate who 'SF' bollocks man the guys that are in theatre are usuing the munro and NI packs purely because there reliable

Latest Threads