Which Camera Canon 7d or 60d

Discussion in 'Photography' started by No_Duff, Oct 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going to upgrade from a Canon 400d but can't decide which Camera to buy. My choice is down too: Canon 60d or Canon 7d.

Any thoughts.

2. If you've got the money go for the 5D Mk II

3. I'd like one but too expensive :-(

4. I just upgraded from the 400D to the 550D, not because I wasn't happy with the 400 but mainly because I was debating buying an HD video camera.

Only had it 2 weeks and so far it's excellent (and saves me carrying 2 cameras around). It was a pro photographer that recommended it and I'm glad he did.

5. I was going to get the 550 but found I had more room on the plastic than I thought :)

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

**cough** NIKON **cough**

;)

7. Stick with Canon and don't be tempted down the Nikon route !

The canon DSLR range can be broken down into 3 (broadly speaking ) segments , 300, 350, 400, 500 etc are the amateur range.

The 20, 30, 40, 50 and the new 60D are kind of semi pro / serious amateur and then the 7D, 5D, 1D and the 1Ds are the pro range.

I drive a 7D myself, having upgraded from a 350 D then to a 500 D and finaly (now) to the 7D. It’s a great camera that outperforms me pretty much most of the time !

All I would say though, is save some money for a couple of decent lenses, possibly a “prime” for arty stuff and just enjoy taking loads of photos!

Osta

8. I agree with Osta - 7D without a question. Better body, better weather protection, faster everywhere - basically, built to last. 60D is aimed at the "prosumer", while the 7D is aimed at the second-camera pro. Or spend on good glass (which you will need with the 7D, btw). I have a 400D, and notice the difference between the standard kit lens and my 60mm f2.8. Only in macro do I notice the 60mm out-resolutions (if that's a word!) the sensor.

9. Got my 7d, this morning along with a Battery grip and a 50mm f/2.5 Macro lens. So thats a "hurrah" from me and a "you git, I need a new washing machine" from Mrs No_Duff.

My first impression is just how much bigger and robust the 7d feels in comparison to the 400d

10. I am now used to the "but that's a girlie camera" when I use my 400D. It suits my arthritis in my right hand due to its size, and more importantly, weight. My 60mm f2.8 weighs almost as much as the body...

11. I've got a D60 and it still performs really well so I'm trying to keep the upgrade at bay for a few years. But I've knacked the 28-70mm lens that comes with it. Any recommendations for an EF lens?

12. If you can, get a Canon "L" series lens.

13. I did the same as you upgraded to the 7D and it is a better camera, one downside is it really highlights any substandard optics you may have.

14. My Bold

Very true, my Credit Card is maxed out........ but I do have 3 x L series lenses :)

15. I have owned a 7d for a few months now, since purchasing the camera body I have also bought the 70-200 f/4 L lens. I aslo have the Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4 DC which is an incredible lens for a Sigma, very sharp and decent image stabiliser built in and manages to obtain focus incredibly close (with subject almost touching the lens element).

My next purchase will be the canon 100mm 2.8 L Macro, which hopefully the wife will buy me for christmas :nod: