Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Which budget smartphone - June 2017?

My Oneplus One has died and I'm looking for a replacement.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Android/cyanogen, 4G capable, with a half decent-ish camera, at least 32gb of internal memory, and a 5"+ screen.

Oh yes, and ideally cheaper than a small, damp, paper bag filled with extremely cheap things.... i.e. maximum price of around £250 (though since I'm in Denmark it'll be the equivalent in Kroner instead).

Thanks in advance for any input.
T_T

I've currently got one of the "budget" Samsung models - Galaxy A3.

I honestly can't see what advantage it would be to pay for a model 2,3 or 4 times as expensive - the A3 already exceeds my smartphone needs in every way. Good screen, excellent camera, very good/reliable connectivity, battery drops by just 10-15% per day.

I also use an app that accesses all my Samsung security cameras. These are HD cameras, and the output is pin sharp on the A3. Technology is quite amazing these days..

Hard to find fault with a Moto G for the price. I'm on my 3rd after upgrading every 18 months to 2 years and I've not had a problem with any of them.

Moto G4. If you order it direct from Motorola you get a dual sim version by default and you can customise it too. Starts at £145. I've got one and I love it. I can't imagine wanting to buy anything else until it falls to bits. Buy one - you won't regret.
BTW if you order a customised one it's shipped from China. Mine took 3 days to get here.

Moto G (UK) - Android Smartphone

Try the new moto G5 now made by Lenovo, my teenage son has one and loves it. ;)
The thing about the G5 is that it isn't as good as the G4 - the camera's just slightly better, with autofocus being looked it, the battery life is two hours shorter, the screen's worse, and it's more expensive, at least according to the review I've got in the Computer Active magazine sitting in front of me.

If you want a straight-up this phone always had 32Gb handy that you don't have to wait for shipment from China, this version of the G4 may be more appealing.

Motorola Moto G4 Plus XT1642 32GB Dual Sim 4G LTE SIM FREE/ UNLOCKED - Black

As you can see it's unlocked from the start.

If the contract suits, I went to Carphone Warehouse (last year) and asked about a cheap smartphone contract.

I got a Ho'way Huawei Y360 £5 per month for two years. First one was sh¡t. After it fried my data a third time, (and it held power for no time at all) I took it back for a full half hour argument. Bloke opened it. "Ooh look, there's a broken battery contact." It went back to factory. Next day they admitted it was fúcked and sent a new one.

It just works and has a pretty nifty standby time.

I think it's on Ee.

My HTC died earlier this year and I searched around for cost effective replacements. I settled on the Huawei P9 Lite in the end. I have to say I haven't been disappointed, the battery life is amazing and I haven't really had any issue moving over any of my settings and apps, despite my HTC giving up the ghost, probably due to the Google connections.

I will sincerely recommend it to anyone who isn't in the thrall of the Apple cabal.