Which book for Lightroom 3 ?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by No_Duff, Oct 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I could do with a book on Lightroom 3, I've had a look at whats available and these 3 seem popular although they each have negatives about them.

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers, by Scott Kelby

Adobe Lightroom 3 - The Missing FAQ - Real Answers to Real Questions asked by Lightroom Users by Victoria Bampton

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening

So what book do arrse user's use ?

I'm edging towards the Scott Kelby book but the comments say his style is an acquired taste.

2. The instruction videos on the Adobe learning site are pretty good, and free.

3. I have an old ebook version of that. If you want to take a look at it PM me and I'll send it to you. As I said, It's a few years old but it will give you an idea of his style. I got on fine with it.

4. By the way, they've just released an update to 3.5 so it will probably make the books currently in print obsolete. The Adobe instructions plus a bit of practice and you really can learn it quite fast. It's not so capable as Photoshop so I use it as the first in a workflow of Lightroom-Bridge-Photoshop. It's best when used for first adjustments and major crops.

5. Many thanks, you have a PM.

6. Thanks for your help, I'm really quite a novice at "serious" PP & working with RAW.

7. If you're using the full CS5 as well, I suggest that you import using LR, and do your sharpening, exposure, hue/saturation/luminance adjustments there. The 'brush' and 'gradient' tools are excellent for getting the light levels how you want them. Major crops (ie getting rid of background supports etc) are done well here too. It's also a good time to delete any you don't want, add them to collections and so on.

If you then export all the remaining images to another folder as .tif, you can piss about with them to your hearts content in CS5 and you still have them in LR if you sod them up. CS5 is great for your cloning, skin smoothing, filters etc. I also do the curves in CS5, as the curves are crap in LR.

Oh, and if you're serious I suggest you get a colourimiter, something like a Spyder 3, to calibrate your monitor. They cost about £90 but are well worth it.

8. I use Photoshop Elements 8, CS5 at £650 is just too much to justify, especially as photography is a hobby and I don't have an "eye" for it, still I enjoy photography.

A colourimiter sounds a good idea as what I see on the monitor isn't what comes out of the printer.

Thanks.

9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

If you're going to buy a book about LR or CS for photographers, get the ones by Martin Evening. He works alongside Adobe on their product developement
    consequently he knows what he's on about; add to that the fact that he's a Brit and doesn't have all the annoying phraseology that Kelby uses and you get a winner.
    Having said that Kelby's book would be my second choice.