Which air rifle to kill the birdies?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by trickywoo, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The chap I share my office with has far too much land for his own good and this comes with a significant crow problem. It's been years since I had an air rifle as a toy and he wants advice on what to go for. Budget's not a major issue but he just wants something legal which will off the little bleeders at about 15m. I need good advice urgently as he's started looking at laser scopes and videos on You Tube of FN FALs and land mines!

Thanks.

2. You need a .177 at the max legal velocity (whatever it is nowadays).

3. Whats his budget?

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

<12 ft lbs - legal energy not velocity

5. For legal you want a muzzle energy of not more than 12 foot-pounds.

High-power air rifles suitable for going after vermin are typically .22 calibre.

As I understand it, you want to be fairly good with your shot placement, so a telescopic sight might be of use for that, but I would bow to anyone with experience actually blasting birdies.

CO2 or pre-charged rifles will give more shots in a given time, spring guns don't need as much associated kit (like compressed air bottles) but the large mass flying about inside the gun provides noticable recoil.

Plus, for legality, you need to be a certain distance from a public thoroughfare (road or footpath), but I can't remember it off-hand. It might be something like 50m. Or 50 foot.

6. Incase you did not know, for your infomation.

FROM OCTOBER 1st 2007 BANNING THE SALE OF MAIL ORDER & INTERNET TRANSACTIONS IS NOW LAW YOU ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO ORDER AIR RIFLES OR PISTOLS FOR DELIVERY OVER THE INTERNET YOU ARE STILL ALLOWED TO PURCHASE ALL THE OTHER ACCESSORIES IF YOU WOULD LIKE AN AIR RIFLE OR PISTOL YOU HAVE TO PURCHASE THESE ON A FACE TO FACE TRANSACTION BY VISITING US AT OUR SHOP.

7. A Weihrauch HW 77,80,97, or 98 with 4x40 Scope (go for a single pice mount) or Air Arms TX200 are accurate, reliable minimum maintenance, with required power off the shelf. Scopes are less of an issue Tasco, AGS, Simmons and Walther are all cheap but good quality.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

9. having killed numerous birds in my youth, .177 is better. .22 is for rats and rabbits. The reason is the feathers which stop the bigger, slower round.

Head shots are obviously best and crows have big heads. Shooting a bird that big in the body with an air rifle may not achieve satisfactory results. A scope is recommended. Use pointed pellets (same reason as .177, penetration through feathers)

10. Agreed on the Weihrauchs, I have had an HW90K in .22 for many years, with a 3-9 x 30 scope. It has been very accurate and reliable, and I've had no problems with it.

11. Id add .177 a must for birds. Head chest shots should be first time kills out to 35 yards (depending on shooter) but feathers act like a composite armour and .22 just doesnt penetrate.
    I used to cull gulls and quickly learned that even with a .22LR with supersonic ammo was only a kill with a headshot. Bullets just bounced of feathers breaking bones but not killing outright.

12. Nearly 700 notes!!!! You gotta be kidding. For that money I would want it to aim itself using milimetric radar!

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Seconded - pointed pellets in .177 - did at least a couple of hundred crows as a lad.

14. I used to do a fair bit of pest control. My advice would be a .22 cal break-barrel rifle. You could fork out for C02 repeater but it's pointless if your engaging single targets at less than 25m. Besides, you'll only get one shot anyway because once the other crows sees one his mates slotted they'll all piss off for short while and go airborne.

15. I will maintain 177 as the better calibre for birds but I agree with a break barrel. I remember weirauchs as being top quality and powerful back then so I would assume they still are. The single shot bit is absolutely spot on. You need to get a headshot first time every time and you will only get one bird each time as the others will F off for a while.