Which AFPS scheme is applicable?

Evening all,
I’m just wondering if anyone has the answers to the following please:
I sustained an injury Jan 2014 under AFPS05 scheme, however after rehab etc I got Medically Discharged under AFPS15 scheme in June 2016 for the same injury. The questions are:

1, Which pension scheme is applicable when claiming under the AFCS??

2, I am aware that I have accrued rights under AFPS05 having served 14 years on this scheme (aggregated AFPS75 over to AFPS05), but do my accrued rights stand when claiming under AFCS?

If anyone can shed any light I would be most grateful indeed.

Thank you.

(I have tried get the answers from RBL/Veterans UK/AFPS/AFCS/FPS all to no avail)

Stokie

Vets UK/AFPS/AFCS/ have ignored the question completely. RBL have never returned with an answer despite me ringing them 3 times explaining my frustration at their lack of response to what I thought should be a straight answer. FPS have not got back to date and that’s been a couple of months now too so nobody has given me an answer at all.
Thank you for recommending VWS I shall contact them on Monday
Stokie

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Evening all,
I’m just wondering if anyone has the answers to the following please:
I sustained an injury Jan 2014 under AFPS05 scheme, however after rehab etc I got Medically Discharged under AFPS15 scheme in June 2016 for the same injury. The questions are:

1, Which pension scheme is applicable when claiming under the AFCS??

2, I am aware that I have accrued rights under AFPS05 having served 14 years on this scheme (aggregated AFPS75 over to AFPS05), but do my accrued rights stand when claiming under AFCS?

If anyone can shed any light I would be most grateful indeed.

Thank you.

(I have tried get the answers from RBL/Veterans UK/AFPS/AFCS/FPS all to no avail)

Stokie
Hi Stokie

1. It doesn't matter which pension scheme(s) you belonged to. AFCS is independent from the pension schemes themselves.

2. AFPSs will assess what you have built up in the pension scheme(s) and assess it against the Tier in which your invaliding condition sits. AFCS will look at your condition and where it fits on the AFCS tariffs.

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Vets UK/AFPS/AFCS/ have ignored the question completely. RBL have never returned with an answer despite me ringing them 3 times explaining my frustration at their lack of response to what I thought should be a straight answer. FPS have not got back to date and that’s been a couple of months now too so nobody has given me an answer at all.
Stokie
Send me a PM with your membership number and I will find out what happened to your enquiry. FPS don't routinely deal with AFCS enquiries.

Hi Stokie

1. It doesn't matter which pension scheme(s) you belonged to. AFCS is independent from the pension schemes themselves.

2. AFPSs will assess what you have built up in the pension scheme(s) and assess it against the Tier in which your invaliding condition sits. AFCS will look at your condition and where it fits on the AFCS tariffs.
Hi FPS, under the 05 scheme the tiers link across to tariffs and I am currently a Tier 3 so under the 05 scheme that would mean I’m e titled to a tariff 1-6, however its been accepted by Vets UK AFPS that I will not employ ever again which according to the AFCS Statement of policy part 1 directive is a tariff 1-4. Under the 15 scheme nothing is linked. I thought this would be essential to establish for this reason when presenting my case at the hearing? I am awaiting an independent tribunal hearing anytime soon and currently have been awarded a tariff 14. Which to me is massively wrong. Is there a real possibility that I can be a tier 3 and only end up with a tariff 14????
Stokie

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
AFPS 15 follows the same Tier principles as AFPS 05.

If you were a Tier 3, you would be on the highest possible pension payout. Strikes me that you have a condition in Tier 1 and are trying to move up to Tier 2. As I said before, send me a PM with your membership number in it and I will get someone to contact you.

AFCS awarded me a tariff 14 6 years ago and have refused to increase a higher award as there is no evidence of traumatic to warrant a higher award. During these 6 years mentioned I was MD’d ire 1, appealed and after 3 years got uplifted to Tier 2, continued appealing and most recently awarded a Tier 3. Hope this gives a better picture of things? I am as mentioned awaiting a tribunal hearing.
Given the above, is there a real possibility that I may end up on a Tariff 14? What about the schemes principals though ie linking across?

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Stokie
I have checked with HQ. The only email that is awaiting reply is the one you sent on 8 October and that is in hand.

I have checked with HQ. The only email that is awaiting reply is the one you sent on 8 October and that is in hand.
Thank you very much for confirming this. I must apologise as I had genuinely thought I had raised this query to yourselves along with the other organisations when I clearly have not, so apologies for tarring with the same brush and I stand corrected.

Stokie

Hi FPS, under the 05 scheme the tiers link across to tariffs and I am currently a Tier 3 so under the 05 scheme that would mean I’m e titled to a tariff 1-6, however its been accepted by Vets UK AFPS that I will not employ ever again which according to the AFCS Statement of policy part 1 directive is a tariff 1-4. Under the 15 scheme nothing is linked. I thought this would be essential to establish for this reason when presenting my case at the hearing? I am awaiting an independent tribunal hearing anytime soon and currently have been awarded a tariff 14. Which to me is massively wrong. Is there a real possibility that I can be a tier 3 and only end up with a tariff 14????
Stokie

I think you are looking at this back to front.

From the AFCS policy Statement you mentioned, anyone who's injury falls into tariffs 1-6 are automatically assessed as Tier 3 for AFPS benefits.

If you receive an AFPS Tier 3 benefit, it doesn’t necessarily mean your injuries fall into Tariffs 1 - 6.

They probably removed it for the 15 scheme to avoid this confusion and to be fairer. If the policy had still been in place you would have been stuck on Tier 1 because your AFCS award is Tariff 14.

You have the best outcome for your pension, there’s no point fighting that anymore.

If you believe your injuries are higher than a tariff 14, then that’s what you must appeal against.

I think you are looking at this back to front.

From the AFCS policy Statement you mentioned, anyone who's injury falls into tariffs 1-6 are automatically assessed as Tier 3 for AFPS benefits.

If you receive an AFPS Tier 3 benefit, it doesn’t necessarily mean your injuries fall into Tariffs 1 - 6.

They probably removed it for the 15 scheme to avoid this confusion and to be fairer. If the policy had still been in place you would have been stuck on Tier 1 because your AFCS award is Tariff 14.

You have the best outcome for your pension, there’s no point fighting that anymore.

If you believe your injuries are higher than a tariff 14, then that’s what you must appeal against.
Hi Dingerr, thanks for pointing something out for me.... I understand how I’ve been looking at it back to front now, up until now I believed it worked both ways but I get what you mean now so thanks for bringing that to my attention, that’s made things a whole lot clearer.

Stokie

AFCS awarded me a tariff 14 6 years ago and have refused to increase a higher award as there is no evidence of traumatic to warrant a higher award. During these 6 years mentioned I was MD’d ire 1, appealed and after 3 years got uplifted to Tier 2, continued appealing and most recently awarded a Tier 3. Hope this gives a better picture of things? I am as mentioned awaiting a tribunal hearing.
Given the above, is there a real possibility that I may end up on a Tariff 14? What about the schemes principals though ie linking across?
The causation should not be the overriding factor when deciding the descriptor, the fact your injury isn't caused through a traumatic incident shouldn't stop you from receiving that descriptor if your injury meets the requirements disability wise, I assume you're referring to Table 9 item 2A?
I currently received this descriptor despite my injuries not being caused by a traumatic incident.
I'm currently awaiting a Tribunal as my condition through a progression of neuroinflamatory changes has completely damaged my cauda equina affecting everything below my waist and also caused tethered spinal cord, bilateral foot drop, this also has caused csf changes affecting my eyes, hearing, intracranial hypotension etc and they still won't change me from a musculoskeletal award to a neurological award/cauda equina award!!

The causation should not be the overriding factor when deciding the descriptor, the fact your injury isn't caused through a traumatic incident shouldn't stop you from receiving that descriptor if your injury meets the requirements disability wise, I assume you're referring to Table 9 item 2A?
I currently received this descriptor despite my injuries not being caused by a traumatic incident.
I'm currently awaiting a Tribunal as my condition through a progression of neuroinflamatory changes has completely damaged my cauda equina affecting everything below my waist and also caused tethered spinal cord, bilateral foot drop, this also has caused csf changes affecting my eyes, hearing, intracranial hypotension etc and they still won't change me from a musculoskeletal award to a neurological award/cauda equina award!!
I’m very sorry to hear if your suffering, it sounds extremely serious indeed! In my experience Veterans UK are not nice at all! Table 9 Item 2A is correct yes! I satisfy all its criteria other than traumatic & neurological signs. However I have 3 parts to my claim,
•••Table 9 for back injury resulting in multiple disc prolapses (sprain/strain hence no traumatic) despite them accepting and awarding Tariff 14 interim back in Dec 2014 for Traumatic Back I jury and have referred to this exact injury in their communications with me.

••• 2 Discrete diagnosable Disorders for my back & leg pains (ongoing but I expect t a Tabke 4 award)

••• Mental Heakth diagnosed Severe PTSD, Mixed Anxiety & Depression (interim award tariff 13, review was due July 2020 so awaiting this as we speak)

I have a tribunal in Jan/Feb so I’m advised by the courts represented by RBL.

interesting to see what happens but I’ve never worked since MD due to my injuries substantial evidence to support by multiple treating clinicians and currently sit on a Tier 3 ill health pension.

p.s vets uk are refusing to increase my back injury award as there is no evidence of traumatic.

Stokie

I’m very sorry to hear if your suffering, it sounds extremely serious indeed! In my experience Veterans UK are not nice at all! Table 9 Item 2A is correct yes! I satisfy all its criteria other than traumatic & neurological signs. However I have 3 parts to my claim,
•••Table 9 for back injury resulting in multiple disc prolapses (sprain/strain hence no traumatic) despite them accepting and awarding Tariff 14 interim back in Dec 2014 for Traumatic Back I jury and have referred to this exact injury in their communications with me.

••• 2 Discrete diagnosable Disorders for my back & leg pains (ongoing but I expect t a Tabke 4 award)

••• Mental Heakth diagnosed Severe PTSD, Mixed Anxiety & Depression (interim award tariff 13, review was due July 2020 so awaiting this as we speak)

I have a tribunal in Jan/Feb so I’m advised by the courts represented by RBL.

interesting to see what happens but I’ve never worked since MD due to my injuries substantial evidence to support by multiple treating clinicians and currently sit on a Tier 3 ill health pension.

p.s vets uk are refusing to increase my back injury award as there is no evidence of traumatic.

Stokie
I had open spinal surgery too for my discs