• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Wheres the Music Corps Section?

SamE said:
I noticed that 'Boards by Arm/Service' that there's no Music Corps section, or is there?
Ok, can I be a total cnut here and say, as this is ARRSE ie, the ARMED forces blah blah blah, why would there be a music section?

Being none armed? basically civis who wear uniform for ceremonial tasks yet still get gongs depending where they play a tune, lot?

Sorry drunk and fed up, and never liked the fact a trumpet player got the same medal for going to NI and playing a tune to boost moral etc etc.

Ask me tomorrow when im more coherant.

Gren said:
SamE said:
I noticed that 'Boards by Arm/Service' that there's no Music Corps section, or is there?
Ok, can I be a total cnut here and say, as this is ARRSE ie, the ARMED forces blah blah blah, why would there be a music section?

Being none armed? basically civis who wear uniform for ceremonial tasks yet still get gongs depending where they play a tune, lot?

Sorry drunk and fed up, and never liked the fact a trumpet player got the same medal for going to NI and playing a tune to boost moral etc etc.

Ask me tomorrow when im more coherant.
Got to agree with you there Gren.

Can't stand trumpet players either,

Showoff bastards.

Trombonists are quite nice though.

Gren said:
basically civis who wear uniform for ceremonial tasks yet still get gongs depending where they play a tune, lot?

Only a civvy, but perhaps you'll allow me to remind you of the London park bombings of 20th July 1982. Musicians are a target too, because they are a military asset.

Gren said:

ARmy Rumour SErvice

I've highlighted the relevant part of the websites title.

CAMus is a part of the Army. Fact. There is no reference to being Armed or not, nor is it a 'warry b4stards anonymous' site.

Why shouldn't they have their own bit?

THat aside

It is unfortunate that it was decided to end the federal capbadge bands and move to one big blob of bands, it is hard to accept them as your own band when you know they can move to a different capbadge on posting. More like they are dressing up perhaps.

Also a shame they don't have capbadge specific roles anymore.... IIRC Inf were stretcher bearers, most RAC were tanker drivers and certainly the Royal Signals band operated Merlin, I think they were also supposed to go to BAOR and operate commcens at one point.

chocolate_frog said:
Gren said:

ARmy Rumour SErvice

I've highlighted the relevant part of the websites title.

CAMus is a part of the Army. Fact. There is no reference to being Armed or not, nor is it a 'warry b4stards anonymous' site.

Why shouldn't they have their own bit?

THat aside

It is unfortunate that it was decided to end the federal capbadge bands and move to one big blob of bands, it is hard to accept them as your own band when you know they can move to a different capbadge on posting. More like they are dressing up perhaps.

Also a shame they don't have capbadge specific roles anymore.... IIRC Inf were stretcher bearers, most RAC were tanker drivers and certainly the Royal Signals band operated Merlin, I think they were also supposed to go to BAOR and operate commcens at one point.

Calm down dear, its called taking the pi55, oh I long for the day when people understand sarcastic humour.

Sorry to ask this, but being an "old and bold" I'm not up to date with things.

Am I to understand, that the different regiments no longer have their own bands, but instead there is a Corps Of Military Music, that switches capbadges between gigs. That can't be right can it? Or have I misunderstood?

chocolate_frog said:
Or to put it another way ‘Music Walts’ :wink:

CAARPS said:
chocolate_frog said:
Or to put it another way ‘Music Walts’ :wink:
This lot are nails..!!Nails Band'

brummieboy1 said:

Am I to understand, that the different regiments no longer have their own bands, but instead there is a Corps Of Military Music, that switches capbadges between gigs. That can't be right can it? Or have I misunderstood?
Musicians join the Corps of Army MUSicians (CAMus), normally straight from Uni. They are also dotted around phase 1, they don't have a CAMus Plt in an ATR, although IIRC the AGC takes a fair few of them. They can pop up individually in any recruit plt.

On completion of training they are posted to a band. Where they can pretty much stay for as long as they want, but if they want promotion and there are no slots, then they move. Likewise they can move bands for 'musical' reasons. (ie trade).

So essentially they swap capbadge and uniform as neccesary. It is also worth noting that in some cases (certainly up until the last set of mergers in the Infantry) there is no universal capbadge for the Divisional bands. So they tend to take a little bit from each Regiment they represent.

Gone are the days that a young tom, foolish enough to mention he once played triange in the school orchestra was whisked off to Kneller Hall to try his luck on the enterance exam and be trained pretty much from scratch.

chocolate_frog said:
brummieboy1 said:

Musicians join the Corps of Army MUSicians (CAMus), normally straight from Uni. They are also dotted around phase 1, they don't have a CAMus Plt in an ATR, although IIRC the AGC takes a fair few of them. They can pop up individually in any recruit plt.

On completion of training they are posted to a band. Where they can pretty much stay for as long as they want, but if they want promotion and there are no slots, then they move. Likewise they can move bands for 'musical' reasons. (ie trade).

So essentially they swap capbadge and uniform as neccesary. It is also worth noting that in some cases (certainly up until the last set of mergers in the Infantry) there is no universal capbadge for the Divisional bands. So they tend to take a little bit from each Regiment they represent.

Gone are the days that a young tom, foolish enough to mention he once played triange in the school orchestra was whisked off to Kneller Hall to try his luck on the enterance exam and be trained pretty much from scratch.
Thank you very much.

SamE said:
I think there are several reasons behind this:

1) CAMUS is one of the smallest Corps in the Army and to remain anonymous on this forum whilst posting on CAMUS matters would be virtually impossible (as I know to my cost)

2) Therefore, while there are Arrsers on here from the Corps they wouldn't necessarily want an open forum where it would be quite easy to be hauled in front of the Boss on Monday morning after posting about Mongs etc. Basically, I think there is no demand for us to have our own Board - however, if the COs did decide to start one I would happily keep an eye on it for them.

3) If the Armynet CAMUS forum is anything to go by, any genuine questions would be immediately swamped by certain "grownups" sitting at KH with "Brig Jamie Gordon in Soldier Mag"-style non-replies.

4) The pisstaking from everyone else on here, a lot driven by an ignorance of what we do.

5) See point 4.

Tubs

Latest Threads