Where your money goes

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by meridian, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Although its from the Guardian don't let that put you off, this is a good visual of a years worth of public spending. There was something similar done for the USA a while ago and this is a UK version

Attached Files:

2. Wow,what a trip man!
  3. excellent representation.

illustrates nicely that actually the MOD gets a significant chunk of tax payers money 4th largest departmental spend after DWP, health and schools. And significantly more than home office and police for salaries

also shows that 7 times more people are on the sick than on dole!
  4. Nice chart, But me thinks that someone in the office has had to much time on their hands...

Maybe the Papers Editor should be introduced to the merits of, 'Back Ground Activity'.. :D
  5. I know I am old and I admit that I have a 'small gin', but where is the European Soviet Union 'bubble'?
  6. i note that scotland gets a £31bn slice, doesanybody know if they also get a slice of the other departments not annotated under devolved spending eg benefits?
  7. I take it this is central government spending, not local? I would have expected Police salaries to be as high as the MoD or near to it, yet the entire police budget is less than our salaries?
  8. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I think Police costs come out of local government which in turn comes from both local sources AND central government
  9. Aha! Lies, Damned lies and statistics... Wonder if the same can be said of NHS funding?
  10. And the MoD get nothing :|

£36bn - one of the lowest in there :S
  11. The 'Debt Interest' will rise significantly in forthcoming years. Sort of rocket.
  12. Look at the Tw*ts claiming benifit!!!! Force them into the army, not necessarily as soldiers; may some of them could become moving targets...... Its just a thought.
  13. Good question, why when there are good jobs going in the armed forces do the employments people not ask if they've applied for the forces?

Chav " I can't find any work!"
    Benefits clerk "Have you applied for a job with the army?"
    "err no."
    "Oh well here's the address of the ACIO, turn up or no benefits!"
  14. No, NHS funding is all central. PCTs and hospital trusts are allocated money directly from government via the DoH.
  15. disagree, for the size of our armed force, its a reasonably large amount. However, i agree that other departmental spending is obscene in areas

How the MOD budget is managed (badly) is another thing. The EP is has been a disaster with FRES and super carriers absorbing a disproportionate amount versus capability, and don't forget, UORs and Ops, pre-PR08, were from the CPF.

I think the 'atlas' has been over-simplified (eg Ops spending being shown against MOD spends) and there are some omissions, eg, where's foreign office?