Where you live

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I live in a nice quiet council estate and thoroughly enjoy living here. My road is the pathway through for people walking home and often, after a night of much lubrication, I am treated to a serenade by passers by. Now these songs are often of the genre that cannot be published on these hallowed threads but last night I was pleasantly surprised.

Lying abed, reading at about midnight when I heard an unusual sound, well unusual for here, it was a guy and his bird, staggering up the road, singing, or attempting to sing with somewhat slurred but recognisable words, this song.

They sang it in Italian also - well impressed. Obviously my moving here three years ago has seen the raising of standards! :)

Dianne Abbot misheard and thought singing Nellie the Elephant was singing opera

I live in a nice quiet council estate and thoroughly enjoy living here. My road is the pathway through for people walking home and often, after a night of much lubrication, I am treated to a serenade by passers by. Now these songs are often of the genre that cannot be published on these hallowed threads but last night I was pleasantly surprised.

Lying abed, reading at about midnight when I heard an unusual sound, well unusual for here, it was a guy and his bird, staggering up the road, singing, or attempting to sing with somewhat slurred but recognisable words, this song.

They sang it in Italian also - well impressed. Obviously my moving here three years ago has seen the raising of standards! :)
You've moved to Rome ^^

I live in a nice quiet council estate and thoroughly enjoy living here. My road is the pathway through for people walking home and often, after a night of much lubrication, I am treated to a serenade by passers by.

No foot traffic

Very, very little vehicle traffic

Peace, perfect peace

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
living in a cul-de-sac of bungalows owned by almost dead people it's gererally quiet.

apart from the cockknocker at number **. he's well known to the police for his complex medical issues and self medication. this makes him very vulnerable and often he has people from the pharmaceutical trade living there.

Any police visit to our road is to his house.

It's all gone much quieter since we installed CCTV on the house and stuck some signs up. All the neighbours asked what the cameras covered, some were disappointed that we don't cover their garden/drive.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Small village.
Front path has a deep pit with punji sticks. The postman knows to step over the 3rd flag from the gate.
The garden is sown with landmines donated by Saint Princess Diana.
The herbaceous borders are filled with toxic Giant Hogweed
The car driveway has a drawbridge over the fish pond [moat] which has piranhas and crocodiles in residence
And if you get past them, there's the land shark waiting behind the door.

Anti social? Moi?

living in a cul-de-sac of bungalows owned by almost dead people it's gererally quiet.

apart from the cockknocker at number **. he's well known to the police for his complex medical issues and self medication. this makes him very vulnerable and often he has people from the pharmaceutical trade living there.

Any police visit to our road is to his house.

It's all gone much quieter since we installed CCTV on the house and stuck some signs up. All the neighbours asked what the cameras covered, some were disappointed that we don't cover their garden/drive.

Did cockknocker look like this?

I was born and raised on a Council estate in West Cumbria - nowt wrong with that, we had an idealic childhood.
Many years later, my Army travels landed me and my family in rural Wiltshire. We had toyed with the idea of putting down our roots before that, but are so glad we held off.
Me and my German Frau have now lived here longer than anywhere else, including our birthplaces - 23 years and counting.
It’s very quiet, but we are in walking distance of the village pub and the local Farm Shop/Cafe. Just off the A303, so we can indulge in our love of Devon and Cornwall on a regular basis, although not so much recently, for obvious reasons. We are a couple of miles from our Daughter and 2 of the grandkids and only 3 miles from a main line station into London Waterloo if we want to pop up there to see our son and the other 2 grandkids.
Ticked most of our boxes when we first moved in here and continues to do so.
We are also surrounded by miles and miles of woodland walks, so we are out and about most days. On a clear evening, the night sky is a sight to behold, as there are no street lights around here, so no light pollution to worry about.
A couple of recent snaps, taken on our walks - very happy with our lot.
ETA: We are just down the road from a fellow Arsser @Humble Tiller who is lucky to live and work in another beautiful part of the County.
7C29043E-6E11-400E-A2F1-C0B7B95D0D4C.jpeg
84A438EF-78BB-4F0C-89CA-C25ECC29A3FC.jpeg
26E40558-4272-4145-806A-7A6EB0B2E13A.jpeg
3B03748B-1EDD-42FF-9B7C-DEE2BE54BDC0.jpeg
0AF3D4C7-8994-4C0F-B20C-F62DDF041934.jpeg
154EB98A-D5DF-4D08-9C74-04D1E7690C8B.jpeg
5A68DC5B-8E23-4AEB-A443-405953F5FF90.jpeg

Last edited:
I live in a "thriving", that's if you believe the local council hype, North East seaside town. To give you some idea what it's like there here's the head line from the local comic a couple of years ago.

The two years until I retire and fark off from here can't come quick enough.

Screenshot 2021-07-17 at 16.51.53.png

Edited to add link to article. Read it without laughing.

Last edited:

Big Jim

On ROPS
On ROPs
I was born and raised on a Council estate in West Cumbria - nowt wrong with that, we had an idealic childhood.
Many years later, my Army travels landed me and my family in rural Wiltshire. We had toyed with the idea of putting down our roots before that, but are so glad we held off.
Me and my German Frau have now lived here longer than anywhere else, including our birthplaces - 23 years and counting.
It’s very quiet, but we are in walking distance of the village pub and the local Farm Shop/Cafe. Just off the A303, so we can indulge in our love of Devon and Cornwall on a regular basis, although not so much recently, for obvious reasons. We are a couple of miles from our Daughter and 2 of the grandkids and only 3 miles from a main line station into London Waterloo if we want to pop up there to see our son and the other 2 grandkids.
Ticked most of our boxes when we first moved in here and continues to do so.
We are also surrounded by miles and miles of woodland walks, so we are out and about most days. On a clear evening, the night sky is a sight to behold, as there are no street lights around here, so no light pollution to worry about.
A couple of recent snaps, taken on our walks - very happy with our lot.
View attachment 589467View attachment 589468View attachment 589469View attachment 589470
The field looks perfect for a quicky

Small village.
Front path has a deep pit with punji sticks. The postman knows to step over the 3rd flag from the gate.
The garden is sown with landmines donated by Saint Princess Diana.
The herbaceous borders are filled with toxic Giant Hogweed
The car driveway has a drawbridge over the fish pond [moat] which has piranhas and crocodiles in residence
And if you get past them, there's the land shark waiting behind the door.

Anti social? Moi?
He'll run like F not wanting to catch The Ghey when he spots the Mx5.
You shirt-lifting poufter.

Oh...erm.......:eek:

Latest Threads