Where would you go if you had £200K and no ties?

ugly

LE
200k will get you some very nice ties.

200k will get you some very nice ties.
If you shop around, you ought to be able to get the entire rape kit for that.

head back to Blighty for your NHS treatment.
If one is out of the UK then you cant use the NHS, in theory.

For example, if I were to return to the UK and need treatment it would have to be paid for out of my health insurance, or out of pocket.

Quite how this actual legal situation results (allegedly) in health tourism from the thrid world, for free care in UK, I am not sure . . .

ches

LE
I think that if you were to build a house of character and quality planning permission is a breeze. Best talk to a planning expert first.
Not out in the sticks it isn't. As posted earlier, change of use on farming, green belt, conservation areas, woodland etc is a bugger to get through & rightly so. You have more 'leverage' if you're a decent sized developer - you will end up with a Section 106 agreement with the LA that will more than likely inc caveats that permission is granted subject to concrete commitment to offset your build of 50+ houses by a percentage being low cost, a provision of green amenity space for the greater community & or improvements to the local road access. This happens a lot.

If you're looking to build your own, single dwelling new build, large plot of land never built on before you will struggle. Def not a no chance, but very difficult & would take months if not years.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I suppose you have to think about what kind of life you want.

If it’s really is the simple life where you’re content with few possessions but just living somewhere nice like on a beach, then 200 grand can probably set you up.

But in the grand scheme of things 200 grand isn’t a lot these days. Once you start adding in things like tax, health insurance, other types of insurance, a car etc. You’ll quickly have **** all.

But in the grand scheme of things 200 grand isn’t a lot these days. Once you start adding in things like tax, health insurance, other types of insurance, a car etc. You’ll quickly have **** all.
Quite right... I blew through $12k, in just one of my accounts, in the last 30 days without even trying.

I think that if you were to build a house of character and quality planning permission is a breeze. Best talk to a planning expert first.
This is MrBane you're talking to! The bit in block could cause a wee problem. It would certainly have the bit in red, but not necessarily in a good way.

To the bank.
No idea what the currency conversion rates are but at a pound is worth a $1.21 these days. $241,469 minus what I would pay to turn pounds into dollars is a nice chunk. But that is rainey day money.

Bali. I knew an ex-plank who had his own landscaping business he used to work the 6 summer months in the UK then spend 6 months in Bali.

He told me 20 quid a day would let him and his girlfriend stay in a nice’ish hotel, eat, drink, surf and be merry. His girlfriend was a local lass he met down there on one of his trips and he eventually married her.

Quite right... I blew through $12k, in just one of my accounts, in the last 30 days without even trying.
That's a lot of cheap hoors, well done you.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yep. We somehow manage to spend about 10 grand every time we go on a family holiday.

Went to Cornwall a fortnight ago. Stayed with my cousin so didn’t even have to pay for digs.

Somehow managed to come away 2 grand lighter.

That’s 1000 miles worth of diesel (with a ******* airbrake of a roofbox fitted), days out with the kids to tourist attractions, meals out, dogs in kennels, a seemingly endless supply of ice cream and a day in Lego Land on the way home.

ancient

War Hero
Is the £200k it? Or do you have also have a house, car and stuff? Is it just you or dependents too?

Just for your information. Talking to a bloke from Littlewoods who was about to present an old dear with a cheque for £1m, he said that they advise anyone under 40 winning a similar amount that it’s not enough to enable them to give up work. This was nearly 25 years ago!

My advice would be to go to as nice a place as possible where you can buy a house for £200k then get a little job to cover the rest of your expenses.
If you can speak French, go to France, if you can speak Spanish go to Spain, if you can speak gibberish go to Wales or Scotland.
I’m not sure how Gibberish is going to help in Wales or Scotland. “Gibberish” is the old word for the dialect spoken in Gibraltar and unintelligible to Navy blokes based there in the 18th Century. But I see your point.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My old man won the lottery in 1998. He had to share with eight others but got still got £1,234,612. He split it with his parents, bought a holiday home in Spain and gave up his job as a compressor engineer.

Five years later, most of the money had gone and he went back to full time work.
This thread does raise an interesting question.

How much money do you need to sack off work completely and live comfortably for the rest of your life?

In this day and age I reckon it’ll be quite a bit.

Even a million quid in rental properties is less than 50 grand a year actual income. Basically a slightly above average U.K. salary. Of course this doesn’t take into account repairs, time between tenants etc.

So assume 50k is what you need to live off and have some luxuries and nice holidays etc. That’s about the sort of cash I reckon most people would need to not have to worry about money. Probably double that in London.

Then add a nice house, so that’s probably 500 grand for something that most would consider to be “nice.” 4 - 5 bedrooms in a decent area with a double garage, big garden and a conservatory.

Again I’m talking average UK here. Obviously you can get a castle in rural Scotland for that sort of money, but it won’t even get you a one bed flat in the nicer bits of London.

So what do we reckon all in?

How much cash would you need to set yourself up for life and never work again?

ches

LE
In the 3 or so years following my divorce, i blew the thick end of £90k. Fast cars, fcuk arsing about on hols plus a fair chunk on bugger knows what. At the time i was also pretty seriously ill with MH issues so was also buying myself shiny things to cheer myself up.
But the rest of it was epic fun & while the debt I racked up wasn't worth it at the time, now sat with a decent new wedge in the bank I can look back with some contentment.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to be a part of a 16 strong lottery syndicate that won £5.2m. My share was just over £325,000. It has enabled me to wind back a lot, no mortgage, decent motor, good investments with nice returns and I don’t worry too much about things.
If I want something nice I can generally afford it, which is a fortunate position to be in. I’m single, so no wife and kids to worry about, and was doing pretty well as it was, but it’s certainly made things a hell of a lot easier and I’m grateful for that.

Ritch

LE
This thread does raise an interesting question.

How much money do you need to sack off work completely and live comfortably for the rest of your life?

In this day and age I reckon it’ll be quite a bit.

Even a million quid in rental properties is less than 50 grand a year actual income. Basically a slightly above average U.K. salary. Of course this doesn’t take into account repairs, time between tenants etc.

So assume 50k is what you need to live off and have some luxuries and nice holidays etc. That’s about the sort of cash I reckon most people would need to not have to worry about money. Probably double that in London.

Then add a nice house, so that’s probably 500 grand for something that most would consider to be “nice.” 4 - 5 bedrooms in a decent area with a double garage, big garden and a conservatory.

Again I’m talking average UK here. Obviously you can get a castle in rural Scotland for that sort of money, but it won’t even get you a one bed flat in the nicer bits of London.

So what do we reckon all in?

How much cash would you need to set yourself up for life and never work again?
I'm 30 so to see me through to my death, I reckon at least 7-10 million to live comfortably.

Given the kinds of things I'd be doing if I had the cash, you'd need fairly complex algorithms to calculate how quickly I could shorten the rest of my life with a given amount.

Latest Threads