Where would you go if you had £200K and no ties?

Mike Barton

War Hero
That would exclude Africa pretty much in its entirety.
Really? Is there nowhere half decent (in African standards) that is crime free? Someone once told me Uganda was relatively nice and safe. Like I say I have little or no experience of Africa beyond South Africa (which I would not recommend).

OT, but what is the Brit absorption with holidays? Not seen the Yanks get as excited about it and even in SA it's not the motive for working. Yet in the UK it seems to be a big thing. Quiz show winners, lottery winners, anyone with a bit of a windfall interviewed in the papers has the stated intention of blowing some or most of it on a holiday. Even this thread has folks alluding to it.

WTF is that all about.

Last edited:
Really? Is there nowhere half decent (in African standards) that is crime free? Someone once told me Uganda was relatively nice and safe. Like I say I have little or no experience of Africa beyond South Africa (which I would not recommend).
It's relatively crime free in places until it's not. Isolate yourself and present as a target and it won't be long until opportunists crawl out of the woodwork to enrich your African experience.

The level of opportunistic threat may vary but it's always there.

OT, but what is the Brit absorption with holidays? Not seen the Yanks get as excited about it and even in SA, it's not the motive for working. Yet in the UK, it seems to be a big thing. Quiz show winners, lottery winners, anyone with a bit of a windfall interviewed in the papers has the stated intention of blowing some or most of it on a holiday. Even this thread has folks alluding to it.

WTF is that all about.
It's cos the weather over here is so bloody miserable!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Seriously? I've heard some of you even go to Scotchland for holidays.

£30k yacht and a £130k rental property, rent the house oout and fcuk off around theMed til you get bored.

That'll be for the scenery and cuisine.

But mostly the drugs

Endless winter or round the world ski trip. 200k might not get me far but certainly further than I ever would've, without it.

KS

Blogg

LE
Thinking long term with sensible head on, you don’t want to get to a point where your stash has dwindled with no more coming in, you need healthcare and you’re in either a third-world shithole or somewhere you wished you’d bought better medical insurance.
Especially if you’ve got no ties or property back here to fall back on.
Pretty much describes the position friends of ours very nearly fell into, saved only by not having sold their UK property thanks to indolence and getting decent rents.

It's easily done and not easily undone.

On a lesser scale the "retire and move to coast" thing used to catch many out. My uncle regretted moving to Weston Super Mare from about day two onwards.

But then who wouldn't

OP, BTW I have a four bedroom farmhouse with land for sale in Spain , you could live off grid indefinitely .

That's only poor people who can't afford to go abroad. Or, conversely, very rich people who can afford to go stalking/salmon fishing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

CowboyBob

War Hero
I would buy a gaff in the Perth & Kinross area for about £80k then invest the rest in an income fund that pays out monthly.
Get a stress free job to keep the shillings rolling in and enjoy life and hill walking, mountain biking and entertaining the local lassies.

As said before, buy a flat, rent it out through an agent and go travelling around Scotland & Islands.
Using the rent money to live off, sleeping in bothy's and chilling out in the highlands.

Either that or drink real ale in the red lion for the next few years.
Always thought alcoholics have fun drinking, sleeping and crapping in to tenna pants

I saw a pretty tidy sailing yacht for sale recently that came with a free swing mooring in Ibiza.

It was easily big enough for two people to live on and the mooring came with no fees.

The boat was about 25 grand if memory serves.

So.....

Buy the boat, that’s your home. This still leaves you with 175 grand to live off and you can supplement your income by taking holiday makers on little day trips on the boat.

**** moving to a third world country.

Other option is to buy a load of cheap property in the U.K. 200 grand will get you 2 pretty good rental properties in West Cumbria. The rental yield to purchase price here is the highest in England.

That gives you 1200 quid a month income for life. Minus a few costs.
Are they relatively easy to rent though? In my professional world, the higher the yield on a bond, the greater the likelihood of default (the rental property equivalent of lying empty or being difficult to sell).

sunny james

Old-Salt
As has been pointed out GBP200k isn't going to set you up for life.

To my mind you should buy a two-bed apartment in a decent second-tier city in the UK and organize a letting agent. That's going to throw up around GBP450 a month. Now get yourself out somewhere warm sunny and cheap, SE Asia, Latin America (avoiding the hellholes), perhaps, perhaps, West Africa (I honestly haven't much knowledge of there), basically somewhere that you aren't liable to be killed for your watch on the road in from the airport.

Now get a job, if you have a skill, engineering, oil rigs, ship's crew, you can get a reasonable job, if not do a ToEFL course and teach English. You now have a decent lifestyle, you're not Midas but you can a enjoy a reasonable standard of living with a decent home and a run-around car.

And you will have hordes of delightful fanny throwing itself at you non-stop.

What's not to like? At 70, when you feel that Alzeimer's is coming on or your c0ck has fallen off through over-use, head back to Blighty for your NHS treatment.

Or just polish off a bottle of rum, watching the waves come in, when the bottle empties, take a one-way swim.

Job jobbed.
A lot of good advice there. Having a fall back position (having a flat etc) is a good idea. Don't forget to check out the conditions for getting NHS treatment on your return if you spend a lot of time abroad. After 6 months out of the UK treatment may be restrcted, There are many benefits staying on the electoral roll, doctors registration and uk bank account,
There are a lot of sad alki's trapped hanging out in Thailand/Philippines so beware of that lifestlyle. Thailand is no longer cheap and has shit beer anyway.
We retired at 54 and have always spent a lot of time travelling in Asia, motorhoming in Europe in spring and autumn, summer's too hot and winter's too crowded. Motorhoming is a very economical way to travel in France, Spain etc. Free parking and free/cheap services abound although it may change after Brexit.
If you are young maybe consider moving to Canada etc if they will have you.
Do stuff while you can.

Last edited:
As I already have considerably more than that in savings and pension fund plus my own flat with 2 Moto Guzzi's in the garage and a good circle of friends I see no reason to go anywhere.
To be trite but true, money doesn't buy happiness, people do make you happy.

Latest Threads