Where would you go if you had £200K and no ties?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Depended on what lifestyle you want to live, hookers and cocaine on a beach is going to burn through it fast, buying land and creating a simple life on an offgrid smallholding might last you a lifetime.

Unfortunately you can't live on land you own in the UK without change of use planning permission, which is unobtainium.
I'm sure there was a loophole in that if you had the land zoned as farmland, you were allowed to build a dwelling property on it for the farmer - I'm also sure it was with fat lower planning restrictions.

In fact I'm also sure I saw an episode of Grand Designs about a guy who did exactly that and build a.big **** off fancy eco house in the corner of one of his fields.

Anywhere you can buy a pad for say half of it, spend 50K on wine, women & song and waste the rest :)

Costa Rica is a pretty good place to live cheaply, a single guy could live there quite comfortably on $800 a month and that includes health insurance and say eating out twice a week.

Costa Rica is a pretty good place to live cheaply, a single guy could live there quite comfortably on $800 a month and that includes health insurance and say eating out twice a week.

You seem awfully well-informed...

scarbrough

War Hero
As per title, if you had no ties, no debts, and £200K in the bank where would you go to make the most of it?

Not a weekend bender but to make it last as long as possible whilst having an enjoyable standard of living, staying in one place or travelling about.

Asking for a friend.
Butlins.

As per title, if you had no ties, no debts, and £200K in the bank where would you go to make the most of it?

Not a weekend bender but to make it last as long as possible whilst having an enjoyable standard of living, staying in one place or travelling about.
I'd go down to the £200k fully equipped garage & gym built below my house which has two 2 Post Lifts, oxy-acet, static pool etc

I'm sure there was a loophole in that if you had the land zoned as farmland, you were allowed to build a dwelling property on it for the farmer - I'm also sure it was with fat lower planning restrictions.

In fact I'm also sure I saw an episode of Grand Designs about a guy who did exactly that and build a.big **** off fancy eco house in the corner of one of his fields.
Not in the UK as far as I know.

Not on farmland or woodland , no permanent dwelling structures without residential planning permission, which comes under " change of use" , all this kind of land is sold as " highly unlikely to get planning permission " .

Possibly a caravan, Shepherds hut or shed but only if you officially don't live there, I think the official limit is 28 days a year ?

Is the £200k it? Or do you have also have a house, car and stuff? Is it just you or dependents too?

Just for your information. Talking to a bloke from Littlewoods who was about to present an old dear with a cheque for £1m, he said that they advise anyone under 40 winning a similar amount that it’s not enough to enable them to give up work. This was nearly 25 years ago!

My advice would be to go to as nice a place as possible where you can buy a house for £200k then get a little job to cover the rest of your expenses.
If you can speak French, go to France, if you can speak Spanish go to Spain, if you can speak gibberish go to Wales or Scotland.
35 years ago: When the BiL was still at DeLoittes he told me that as a 20 something Sgt with a working wife if we both wanted to get off the hamster wheel of life permanently we would need around £ 2 million well invested.

Have you tried Clacton? I hear it’s nice this time of year.

riksavage

Old-Salt
Philippines, Thailand or anywhere in Indochina. Philippines and Thailand have excellent medical care. Only disadvantage with the latter two is you’ll end up with ruddy cheeks, lime green safari suit and buying a girl half your age a chicken farm! And I'll throw alcoholism in as a free bonus.

Mike Barton

War Hero
As has been pointed out GBP200k isn't going to set you up for life.

To my mind you should buy a two-bed apartment in a decent second-tier city in the UK and organize a letting agent. That's going to throw up around GBP450 a month. Now get yourself out somewhere warm sunny and cheap, SE Asia, Latin America (avoiding the hellholes), perhaps, perhaps, West Africa (I honestly haven't much knowledge of there), basically somewhere that you aren't liable to be killed for your watch on the road in from the airport.

Now get a job, if you have a skill, engineering, oil rigs, ship's crew, you can get a reasonable job, if not do a ToEFL course and teach English. You now have a decent lifestyle, you're not Midas but you can a enjoy a reasonable standard of living with a decent home and a run-around car.

And you will have hordes of delightful fanny throwing itself at you non-stop.

What's not to like? At 70, when you feel that Alzeimer's is coming on or your c0ck has fallen off through over-use, head back to Blighty for your NHS treatment.

Or just polish off a bottle of rum, watching the waves come in, when the bottle empties, take a one-way swim.

Job jobbed.

Meh. If it was 200k and you still need to live 30 years, then house and a job.

If it was 200k and enjoy it, no future worries, I'd drag my bergan out the loft along with my Terra Nova Saturn bivvy bag and my doss bag and **** off for a long, long time bagging every Ben in Scotland. Camping out but eating well and enjoying nature and life..once they were done, I'd go to Austria and do a lot of walking there too.

Simple stuff.
I

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I saw a pretty tidy sailing yacht for sale recently that came with a free swing mooring in Ibiza.

It was easily big enough for two people to live on and the mooring came with no fees.

The boat was about 25 grand if memory serves.

So.....

Buy the boat, that’s your home. This still leaves you with 175 grand to live off and you can supplement your income by taking holiday makers on little day trips on the boat.

**** moving to a third world country.

Other option is to buy a load of cheap property in the U.K. 200 grand will get you 2 pretty good rental properties in West Cumbria. The rental yield to purchase price here is the highest in England.

That gives you 1200 quid a month income for life. Minus a few costs.

My portfolio (other than gold) gained a bit over 20% in 2008... (gold only gained about 12% from 1 Jan to 31 Dec on that interesting roller coaster) but still not a bad year for me.

As to what would I do with 200k in cash if I was otherwise unencumbered...

I would buy what is probably a bit more than a couple of kilos of gold with half, and a cheap house with a decent bit of property in fly-over country for another quarter of the money, and start a new project car with the remainder.

Gold is a bit less than double now than what it was at the end of 2008, and Gold will be dipping a bit right about now, before it starts climbing rapidly, allegedly. Some are claiming 5k per ounce Gold soon... I am just happy knowing that I will maintain value over the odds with Gold and decent Real Estate.

Or, I could quit kicking Death's mouldy old arse, and give him a hand by wandering off to the southern end of the Philippines and enjoy some cheap living and LBFMs, flashing stacks until the local theocrats who shall not be named take notice.
This.

B42T

LE
I saw a pretty tidy sailing yacht for sale recently that came with a free swing mooring in Ibiza.

It was easily big enough for two people to live on and the mooring came with no fees.

The boat was about 25 grand if memory serves.

So.....

Buy the boat, that’s your home. This still leaves you with 175 grand to live off and you can supplement your income by taking holiday makers on little day trips on the boat.

**** moving to a third world country.

Other option is to buy a load of cheap property in the U.K. 200 grand will get you 2 pretty good rental properties in West Cumbria. The rental yield to purchase price here is the highest in England.

That gives you 1200 quid a month income for life. Minus a few costs.
you could even get Mr Bane to be your letting agent and odd job man.
Sorted:)

...Now get yourself out somewhere warm sunny and cheap, SE Asia, Latin America (avoiding the hellholes), perhaps, perhaps, West Africa (I honestly haven't much knowledge of there), basically somewhere that you aren't liable to be killed for your watch on the road in from the airport...
That would exclude Africa pretty much in its entirety.

Not in the UK as far as I know.

Not on farmland or woodland , no permanent dwelling structures without residential planning permission, which comes under " change of use" , all this kind of land is sold as " highly unlikely to get planning permission " .

Possibly a caravan, Shepherds hut or shed but only if you officially don't live there, I think the official limit is 28 days a year ?
I'm pretty sure that there is an exception to the 28-day limit for forestry purposes.

As others have said, £200k won't leave you set for life but it could provide you with a much nicer life...

If it were me, I would pay off existing debts, by a VW California camper van and invest the balance in a holiday rental property.*

Finally, I would stop working full-time and drop to a four-day week, giving me more time to enjoy holidaying in the UK and France.

*I'm thinking Sussex, Kent or Essex coast...

Last edited:

Latest Threads