Where would you go if you had £200K and no ties?

Jammy66

War Hero
As per title, if you had no ties, no debts, and £200K in the bank where would you go to make the most of it?

Not a weekend bender but to make it last as long as possible whilst having an enjoyable standard of living, staying in one place or travelling about.

Asking for a friend.

Awol

LE
As per title, if you had no ties, no debts, and £200K in the bank where would you go to make the most of it?

Not a weekend bender but to make it last as long as possible whilst having an enjoyable standard of living, staying in one place or travelling about.

Asking for a friend.
I'm a bloke, but I'm really keen to marry you Jammy.

Is the £200k it? Or do you have also have a house, car and stuff? Is it just you or dependents too?

Just for your information. Talking to a bloke from Littlewoods who was about to present an old dear with a cheque for £1m, he said that they advise anyone under 40 winning a similar amount that it’s not enough to enable them to give up work. This was nearly 25 years ago!

My advice would be to go to as nice a place as possible where you can buy a house for £200k then get a little job to cover the rest of your expenses.
If you can speak French, go to France, if you can speak Spanish go to Spain, if you can speak gibberish go to Wales or Scotland.

Last edited:

Asking for a friend.
Well, what a quandry............Vietnam, or Thailand? Decisions, decisions.

Thailand has a damn fine medical system for when you get on a bit, they actually promote it here in the USA for medical tourism over there as it is about a tenth the price of the USA.

Vietnam, that gets my mouth salivating for some quality boulangerie and pattiserie shops. The Vietnamese picked up the art of baking when they were under French rule and knock out the most magnificent products, I have a local Vietnamese bakery and drop in there whenever I am passing. Two weeks ago I went to Little Saigon in Greater Los Angeles and again sampled some lovely pastries. I know that with the influx of europeans and americans to Vietnam BBQ restaurant shacks have gone down a bomb, where there is one there is always room for another.

Both places also, conveniently, have a rampant supply of LBFM's.

As another option you could pop over to Cabo in Mexico and start a small business employing some local Mexicans and be living the life there. The place is basically a small part of the USA in Mexico (look it up) with Walmart, B&Q and all the other good things along with beaches, good weather and cheap food and drink.

If I were you I would go quickly do a thomsens holiday to a couple of locations, decide which you like and then sort yourself out with a visa.

Your friend is a lucky man with such decisions to make.

Last edited:
"Where would you go if you had £200K and no ties?"

Um, Tie Rack?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Hookers

Jammy66

War Hero
I would have thought India - to live and make the money last as long as possible - but don't think that's the case any more.

I guess some parts of Africa will be cheap but I'm not sure just how friendly the natives are.

Sometimes the world seems a very very small place.

My portfolio (other than gold) gained a bit over 20% in 2008... (gold only gained about 12% from 1 Jan to 31 Dec on that interesting roller coaster) but still not a bad year for me.

As to what would I do with 200k in cash if I was otherwise unencumbered...

I would buy what is probably a bit more than a couple of kilos of gold with half, and a cheap house with a decent bit of property in fly-over country for another quarter of the money, and start a new project car with the remainder.

Gold is a bit less than double now than what it was at the end of 2008, and Gold will be dipping a bit right about now, before it starts climbing rapidly, allegedly. Some are claiming 5k per ounce Gold soon... I am just happy knowing that I will maintain value over the odds with Gold and decent Real Estate.

Or, I could quit kicking Death's mouldy old arse, and give him a hand by wandering off to the southern end of the Philippines and enjoy some cheap living and LBFMs, flashing stacks until the local theocrats who shall not be named take notice.

Last edited:

Asking for a friend.

Your Mum.

Thinking long term with sensible head on, you don’t want to get to a point where your stash has dwindled with no more coming in, you need healthcare and you’re in either a third-world shithole or somewhere you wished you’d bought better medical insurance.
Especially if you’ve got no ties or property back here to fall back on.

If I only had 200k in cash i'd be urgently looking for a decent paying job. Totally get for many it would be a big uplift but it is nowhere near sit back and lap it up cash. Rack up 5 mil then you can start thinking about which beach to get skin cancer on.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Meh. If it was 200k and you still need to live 30 years, then house and a job.

If it was 200k and enjoy it, no future worries, I'd drag my bergan out the loft along with my Terra Nova Saturn bivvy bag and my doss bag and **** off for a long, long time bagging every Ben in Scotland. Camping out but eating well and enjoying nature and life..once they were done, I'd go to Austria and do a lot of walking there too.

Simple stuff.

Talking to a bloke from Littlewoods who was about to present an old dear with a cheque for £1m, he said that they advise anyone under 40 winning a similar amount that it’s not enough to enable them to give up work. This was nearly 25 years ago!
Work took me to transport co, the other week,

The drivers are all men of a certain age, working in shifts, lorrys on the go 24hrs a days for upto 8 weeks of the year to bring the harvest in.

One's a lottery winner, won several million pounds a couple of yrs back, allegedly still has most of his cash in the bank. Spent a bit on holidays, houses & family, must of retirement age does a bit of work for "pleasure"

Depended on what lifestyle you want to live, hookers and cocaine on a beach is going to burn through it fast, buying land and creating a simple life on an offgrid smallholding might last you a lifetime.

Unfortunately you can't live on land you own in the UK without change of use planning permission, which is unobtainium.

Latest Threads