Where were you on April 2nd 1982?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by sfub, Apr 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found out when John Craven announced the invasion on Newsround. Three days later Sfub Senior went to his last war, came back two months later with burns and a lot more going on in his head. (He was on HMS Coventry)
    It was the event that made me want to join the army, probably the same for a lot of Arrsers.
  2. In Haversham visiting family, then not long after in Pompey on my Grandads shoulders waving in bemusement at hundreds of blokes convinced I could see my Dad and my Uncles
  3. At Minden, holding back the Russian hordes (though obviously not single handedly).
  4. Blandford, learning that mixed hockey is no game for a gentleman and the R SIGNALS is no place for Cuddles! However like a dog returning to its own vomit, I now proudly wear the Jimmy and mutter crustily about how things aren't like it used to be in the Corps.

Unfortunately if asked how they used to be I have to 'fess up and explain that I was a Gunner then!
  5. Wondering if i should shag Jane, seeing id just seen a picture on the tele of her boyfriend with his hands up :D I didnt, and him and his missus went on to rob a bank after the Falklands. Mind you she had a cracking pair of tits. Strange what sticks in your mind about the Falklands.
  6. In a wood somewhere in Germany on some exercise or other, on hearing the news at first thinking it was an April Fool windup that had been delayed in the post.
  7. I was also due to go on leave but even though all of us were up for it, the message from higher up the food chain was "Bugger off, we don't want you" so I was still allowed to go on leave.

4th May 1982, I got the sad news from Swedish teletext in a department store in Stockholm, that HMS Sheffield had been sunk.
  8. On a school trip in France.

Little did I know that 28 years later, I would be there seeing the argies off again in person........
  9. It was my last day in XMG. As I walked across to the Wessex on the helipad in my jeans and parka to go up to Bessbrook, one of the corporals in the "Budgie" shed shouted to me, "Can you speak Spanish, boss?" I hadn't a clue what he meant. He'd heard about the invasion on his civy radio. By the time I'd got to Aldergrove just about everyone was talking about it.

(Any ex-Dukes from Corunna on here ?)
  10. Sennelager. I was on the range staff. Later on I heard the terrible news that Jim Prescott had died and John P had been severely injured on board HMS Antelope. Good men both.
  11. On the phone to the "task force" enquiring if they needed some cadets to give my dad a hand in sorting the argies out. I was told that indeed help was needed, could I report to the nearest park and help sweep up the leaves...... :oops:
  12. At playschool in Tidworth, doing some crayoning and completely oblivious to it all. Watching the ships pull away from Pompey on TV is one of my earliest clear memories, though.

By the way sfub, I was in Basra with a WE who was on the Coventry at the same time as your Dad (on his first trip no less). He lives down your way if you want me to put you in touch.

13. The rest of us can rest easy now then Snail, we wont be needed while you are on stag :salut:
  14. Also in Blandford, just finished the OTC "Troop Commanders" course. I believe the news came through while we were waiting for the bus to the Station......we wondered if it might be cancelled.....
  15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

AAC Harrogate, on phone to my mates in 29 at Plymouth.