Where was Swiss Des?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by apfsdsdu, Jul 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It would be funny if it were not so shocking, then again am I shocked. Tony has run out of "on side cronies" and now he is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

2. Are you surprised. He's only there to give a vote to his sponsor, Gordon Brown, in cabinet meetings. Defence is merely a convenient place. As soon as he moves on he won'r give a t**s about you or me.

3. He was probably in the khazi reading the Exchange and Mart, crimping one off as he hid from the angry customers outside....

"'Ere, Swiss Des, the wheels are coming off this motor your mate Dodgy John sold us..."

4. What do you expect from this Labour lot.

5. On a more serious note:

Visit this website.

http://www.kilmarnockandloudoun.co.uk/editable_pages/documents/DesBrowneMPSurgeries.pdf

You will see that Swiss Des holds his surgeries on a Friday and a Saturday. There is small print that states "roving surgeries will be conducted during the summer months, weather permitting".

Did anyone in Kilmarnock see Swiss Des at Kilmaurs or Crosshouse Community Centres, Galston Co-op, Muirkirk IFE Wing, Mauchline Community Centre, Kilmarnock Morrisons or ASDA, Dunlop Village Hall, Stewarton Institute, Darvel Collins Court, Newmilns Morton Hall, Hurlford Community Centre, or Auchinleck Tesco?

Perhaps the small print should read "roving surgeries will be conducted during the summer months, awkward Parliamentary business permitting".

6. Mate, I think you're a little deluded if you think he gives a toss about you even as he remains as Secretary of State for Defence - like most of the ministers since the mid-1980s, the only responsibility he appears to feel is to the furthering of his own career.

Check out They Work For You - I think that the only thing he has in his favour is that he's near the bottom of the list regarding expense claims.

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Having seen and heard Brown in action in Sky, BBC etc. He comes across as the usual "I might be in charge of the MoD, but couldn't tell you what a Lance Corperal was!"

His replies to the Afghan questions were abiguous at best and he just stated there was air support available when it was stated it took several hours to deploy.

Another thumper like TCH in charge!

8. I suggest that someone may wish to write to their MP (check TheyWorkforYou on DozyBint's post) requesting that their MP asks Swiss Des exactly what he was doing on Monday, as his constituency surgeries are on Fridays and Saturdays.

I will do so, but my current MP is cut from similar cloth as Swiss Des (I moved house).

9. Quote:
    Are you surprised. He's only there to give a vote to his sponsor, Gordon Brown, in cabinet meetings. Defence is merely a convenient place. As soon as he moves on he won'r give a t**s about you or me.

Mate, I think you're a little deluded if you think he gives a toss about you even as he remains as Secretary of State for Defence - like most of the ministers since the mid-1980s, the only responsibility he appears to feel is to the furthering of his own career.

Check out They Work For You - I think that the only thing he has in his favour is that he's near the bottom of the list regarding expense claims.

Never thought he cared, but might just take notice at the moment when something happens to put the troops in the headlines, if only for self protection (his not ours) means.

10. Letter sent to MP (Gee he must think I'm a pain in the ARRSE, but that is his job!)

"Dear MP type bloke"

I read with great annoyance that the Defence Secretary Des Browne has missed two defence debates in almost as many weeks. The last excuse given was that he had "constituency engagements." With the lives of British service personnel at risk in two campaigns, neither of which seems to be politically thought out or correctly resourced, the “Honourable” member Des Browne deems constituency engagements more important. Or does he find it easier to leave difficult questions to his junior Minister Tom Watson.

I would be grateful if this question could be raised in the house that, if the Defence Secretary is not capable of entering into debate on defence then is he up to the job?

Yours sincerely,

Verm

11. According to the Mail today, Swiss Des claims that he was at a commemoration for the Battle of the Somme on Friday and that his surgery dates were rearranged.

However, his website does not contain any such announcement.

Has anyone got access to a copy of last week's Kilmarnock Standard or any other local rag from Buckfast County? His surgery dates should appear in it, or a notice should have been placed if the dates had changed.

12. According to the BBC Russian language website TODAY (ref story about young soldier'sdeath on SPTA)

Министр обороны Великобритании Джефф Хун заявил, что относится к случившемуся "крайне серьезно",

Which translates roughly as "British Defence Minister Geoff Hoon stated that we take what happened very seriously"

Sheeeet - if the Beeb haven't even noticed that there has been a change at the top then neither TCH or Dezza can have made a huge impression.

13. Not in any way defending the buffoon, but he was attending the veterans day parade in Dundee on Saturday.