Where To Go in Edinburgh?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Your_Mums_Pal, Feb 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've booked 4 nights at a hotel in Edinburgh with the missus and unsure of where to go (because I'm spectacular when it comes to planning). Have been online pottering about looking at stuff but wondered if anybody could give us any advice. I've never really been in Edinburgh much before so have no idea in regards to night life etc.

Just looking for pubs or clubs and maybe somewhere to get a meal during the day. Or anything at all, actually. I've been looking at theatre stuff too...

2. Grass Market (just under the castle) full of great studenty wine bars or Rose Street, full of boozers. Ensign Ewart on the Promenade just outside the castle gates...................
    Speak to any of the Jocks that work for Scottish Heritage at the castle (a vague recollection of the Black Watch I think) and they will steer you right, Leith is now very proper and poash but just ask.....................................................................
    Be prepared to spend some dosh though, I used to work in the City and Central London and I paid my FIRST £3 pint in Edinburgh in 1998. (But I blame the Yank tourists)
  3. Castle (obviously) Take your ID card for free entry.
    Mary King's Close

What hotel, and when?
  4. Cafe Royal,off Princes Street,fine food and good drink
  5. Espionage...a pub over several floors near the Grassmarket
  6. Seconded. Guildford Arms and Abbotsford good too.
  7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Top of the Royal Mile is the whisky Museum.

Museum of Childhood is just a wee bit down from it.

For proper Ghurka type curries try the The Khukuri Restaurant, Edinburgh
  8. Day trip to Dunbar and the coastal area is worth it. Dont stay in Edinburgh throughout it has some really nice outlying day trips as well.
  9. The Jolly Judge,James Court,Lawnmarket.
    It's a very small but cosy pub hidden in a narrow close,not far from the Castle.

Others are; World's End
    Ensign Ewart
    Deacon Brodies
    Flannigans (for the Oirish)
  10. Cheers folks, done a bit of looking around. This has been really helpful!

We'll definitely have a scout of some of your suggestions and see what's what.

@Joe_Private we're at the Haymarket Premier Inn (not romantic but have staff discount)

How's the driving in the city these days? Last I was up it was a nightmare thanks to the building of the tram system.
  11. I always seem to end up in the Standing Order (entrances on rose st and george st) ...it's a spoons so the grub isn't spectacular at all but it does the job when your on a shopping excursion. I'm headed to Edinburgh in April to go to the playhouse theatre so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too for new ideas :)

You gotta go up arthurs seat before you leave too...it's usually bloody windy up there but the views are pretty worth it :)

Avoid CC blooms nightclub like the plague - dingy horrendous place (don't ask me why I was in a gay club in the first place I was too drunk to know any better!)

Edinburgh Dungeon? Royal Yacht Brittania? Edinburgh is a nice easy city to find your way about as well which is always a bonus.

If you are intersted in art there's the scottish national gallery off princes street... would give it a miss if you don't like art though!
  12. Oh! Just remembered... I had a pretty good time the last night I was in City nightclub - I was there as part of the British Unis Skiing Clubs annual dryslope meet up so the club wasn't full of it's usual clientele and I can't be too sure how it is on an ordinary night but it seemed all right to me!
  13. Fang_Farrier

If you do like art, there's also the Gallery of Modern Art, both this and SNG are free, thee used to be a free minbus that linked them but not sure if this is still running.
    National Galleries of Scotland − Visit − How To Find Us
  14. Fang_Farrier

Also Scottish National Museum is worth a wee look, and if around that area then Greyfriars Kirkyard is a nice wee side visit, if you know the story of Greyfriars Bobby.

And to counteract any feeling sabout that, then this little known museum is well worth a look.
    Surgeons' Hall Museum, Edinburgh - Home
  15. Seconded.

Also try Hectors in Stockbridge for food. Very nice pub/bar.

Also do a ghost walk on the royal mile, they are fab :eek:)