Where to find info on g/Grandparent who served in RHA?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by noha2012, Aug 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Howya,

Whereabouts would have records on members of RHA who served around 1910/1911??
    Only have national census records from 1911, and no mention EVER in our family of his (my great-grandfather) service. Found completely by accident.

Ta v much

2. Have you tried Here

3. Thanks, looks good. Will try MoD also, see if they are any use...

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The MOD will not give you any information from that era. Ancestry is your best bet or publish his details here and those with access will see what we can find.

5. National Archive in Kew may be useful can look up on line too

6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

pro under W/O ref. you can have a look on the internet before yo order up the papers for viewing when you visit . pm if you want a better explanation as its my wife who is the genealogist ( 20 year ) and she had HAC ancestors .

Personally I bloody hate the Royal Artillery , their ' corporate' structure is so complicated grin . We found photos of here reles in the Firepower museum by pure fluke .

7. This is a sound bit of advice, if you cant find anything let us know who you are looking for and one of us will look him up for you.
    MOD etc wont help, the only place you can find out is either at Kew, free if you can get yourself there, or on Ancestry, as Old Baldy said some of us wil have access and can search for you, or you can join and search yourself.

8. The Royal Artillery musuem and archives "Firepower" might be able to help. The RHA wasn't that big in 1910-11 and had arpund 20 batteries. You might fiond something in the battery records.

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I don't know the dates covered (except, infuriatingly, a few months I wanted for my ggfather were missing) but Kew has runs of monthly Battery pay records which tell you who, what, where & how much. They are large folios so have to be accessed upstairs.

10. Ta for all the advice so far, excuse the late reply.
    @sirbhp, will drop you a pm shortly, thanks for everyone's input!

11. @Pteranodon, yea we have which battery he was from census. Nothing about when he left here to join though so fingers crossed some docs still survive.

12. Evening all,

Apologies for not getting back sooner. Research project lately so g/Granpop hunting had to wait.
    @Sirbhp have PM'd you those details but just in case anyone else may have different avenues of approach, here are the details we have from UK 1911 census;

Name: Patrick McCarthy
    D.O.B.: 5 March 1890 - Cork, Ireland.

Ta very much, enjoy your Sunday beers

13. Don't suppose you have a Regimental number, do you? I've already found a slack handful of Irish-born McCarthys for around that period.

AL 1: was his birthplace St Annes? If so, I have him serving with 80th Bty Royal Field Artillery in India in 1911.

14. No number, but census says 80th Battery, RHA.
    Like I said, a never mentioned topic so we got feck all info.

Ta

15. See above, noha.

Interestingly, he was serving cheek by jowl with a bloke born in the Shankill!