Where to buy a Reconditioned Panasonic Toughbook PC ?

I am considering buying a second-hand, reconditioned Toughbook PC for the times when I need something sturdier than the average Vaio.

I have seen some reconditioned Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 and CF-19 going for around 300 Sterlings on Ebay but was wondering if anybody has any infos on better deals....

Thanks

Toughbooks are excellent, but spare batteries (or heaven forbid a new HD) do cost alot.

As a side note, the best bit about Toughbooks is the carrying handle. Until you have used one you may not get why! Brilliant bit of kit, but unless you buy a fully ruggedised one you might aswell buy a rugged laptop bag, and save you money.

ooooh_matron said:
Toughbooks are excellent, but spare batteries (or heaven forbid a new HD) do cost alot.

As a side note, the best bit about Toughbooks is the carrying handle. Until you have used one you may not get why! Brilliant bit of kit, but unless you buy a fully ruggedised one you might aswell buy a rugged laptop bag, and save you money.
Damn, now I'm going to have to examine the carrying handle at work tomorrow! :x

MittMayo said:
ooooh_matron said:

It's not that exciting! Moving it around in the field, securing it at shows. I admit I may have sexed it up a bit :)

ooooh_matron said:
MittMayo said:
ooooh_matron said:

It's not that exciting! Moving it around in the field, securing it at shows. I admit I may have sexed it up a bit :)
Damn, back to normal routine then :cry:

Call the AA and steal the patrol's one when his head is under your bonnet.

MittMayo said:
ooooh_matron said:
MittMayo said:
ooooh_matron said:

Damn, back to normal routine then :cry:
Eating MY biscuits then... that seems to be your normal routine.

I wouldn't bother. I used to work in a team that managed deployed laptops and had gone down the Toughbook route. In less than a year we worked out that a regular laptop in a PeliCase was better, easier, cheaper and tougher. Just keep your important stuff copied on an external drive (which is good practice anyway) and get a PeliCase.

I use a panasonic toughbook on a daily basis and find the basic machine very good, some of the pre loaded soft ware that I HAVE to use does make it run slow. A good thing is having the capability for 56K voice modem,GPRS modem and ethernet/usb capability for ADSL. Bit heavy if you going to be carrying it for a while unless you have a daysack for it...

I could beat an elephant to death with my tough book. It got relegated to another member of the family and I just have a string of "disposable" cheap laptops, basically use them til I loose or kill them and buy another. keep everything on an external drive

having said that I believe it was a Toughbook in an Oilmans daysack that stopped a bunch of 7.62 from a naughty khatted up soldier in yemen...............Chap survived on the deck, from point blank range lappy didn't :D

I like the numbers the Dento's seem to carry round, seem smaller and chubbier than a toughbook

If you still want to obtain a Panasonic tough book,try the CF 29 as it it the latest version with XP,I believe the CF 18 and 19 were windows 97.