Where to buy a Reconditioned Panasonic Toughbook PC ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by fantassin, Jan 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am considering buying a second-hand, reconditioned Toughbook PC for the times when I need something sturdier than the average Vaio.

I have seen some reconditioned Panasonic Toughbook CF-18 and CF-19 going for around 300 Sterlings on Ebay but was wondering if anybody has any infos on better deals....

Thanks

2. I think there is an advert in soldier mag for them m8

3. Toughbooks are excellent, but spare batteries (or heaven forbid a new HD) do cost alot.

As a side note, the best bit about Toughbooks is the carrying handle. Until you have used one you may not get why! Brilliant bit of kit, but unless you buy a fully ruggedised one you might aswell buy a rugged laptop bag, and save you money.

4. Damn, now I'm going to have to examine the carrying handle at work tomorrow! :x

5. It's not that exciting! Moving it around in the field, securing it at shows. I admit I may have sexed it up a bit :)

6. Damn, back to normal routine then :cry:

7. Call the AA and steal the patrol's one when his head is under your bonnet.

8. Eating MY biscuits then... that seems to be your normal routine.

9. I wouldn't bother. I used to work in a team that managed deployed laptops and had gone down the Toughbook route. In less than a year we worked out that a regular laptop in a PeliCase was better, easier, cheaper and tougher. Just keep your important stuff copied on an external drive (which is good practice anyway) and get a PeliCase.

10. I use a panasonic toughbook on a daily basis and find the basic machine very good, some of the pre loaded soft ware that I HAVE to use does make it run slow. A good thing is having the capability for 56K voice modem,GPRS modem and ethernet/usb capability for ADSL. Bit heavy if you going to be carrying it for a while unless you have a daysack for it...

11. Thanks to all for the inputs.

Bobbit your avatar is....mesmerising...

12. I could beat an elephant to death with my tough book. It got relegated to another member of the family and I just have a string of "disposable" cheap laptops, basically use them til I loose or kill them and buy another. keep everything on an external drive

having said that I believe it was a Toughbook in an Oilmans daysack that stopped a bunch of 7.62 from a naughty khatted up soldier in yemen...............Chap survived on the deck, from point blank range lappy didn't :D

I like the numbers the Dento's seem to carry round, seem smaller and chubbier than a toughbook

13. If you still want to obtain a Panasonic tough book,try the CF 29 as it it the latest version with XP,I believe the CF 18 and 19 were windows 97.

14. just had one given me in a big green case on wheels spare battery and a load of cables whats it worth please