Where the U.S. leads .... U.K. to follow?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Jake01, Oct 12, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/3180030.stm

US soldiers armed with the Bard

Many of Shakespeare's plays centred around love and war
    Troops in the US are to be treated to performances of Shakespeare after $1m (£602,000) was set aside in the defence bill for an arts project.
    The idea of the project is to introduce more arts to bases to give soldiers respite from the rigours of army life.

Soldiers are perhaps more used to visits from stars like the late Bob Hope or country star Tim McGraw.

But the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) organisation believes the Bard will strike a chord with soldiers.

Spokesman Felicia Knight said: "It runs the gamut of human dramas: love, passion, war and death. I think these productions, whether it is Othello or Macbeth, will resonate with them."

Alaska is expected to be on the list of 16 bases to benefit from visiting theatre companies with a production of Othello.

The intense emotion of Shakespeare could strike a chord with soldiers

Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, head of the Senate Appropriations Committee, has been credited with securing the $1m grant in the $368bn (£225.5bn) defence bill.

Reach communties

The news comes as arts groups in the US face a massive funding crisis as state governments look to slash budgets by as much as $100m (£69m).

Among the performing arts groups involved in Shakespeare in the Communities are the Alabama Shakespeare Festival and the Aquila Theatre Company of New York.

"If we are truly going to fulfil our charge of bringing art of indisputable excellence to Americans, we have to reach into communities where we've never gone before," NEA chairman Dana Gioia said.

The Alabama Shakespeare Festival in Montgomery will continue its version of Macbeth at military bases said Alan Harrison, the festival's managing director.

"What we expect is that people will have the same positive response that they had 200 years ago to the English playwright," Harrison said.

"It really hits to the heart of an emotional response, the kind that drives countries."

Army bases are no strangers to high-culture. The US Army has its own touring theatre company called Bravo!, which recently performed The Complete Works of William Shakespeare...Abridged around the US.

2. Ok mate, didn’t manage to read your thread as It was as boring as watching a party political broadcast by the 'We are as dull as a very dull thing'party.

One question though, are you the poster formally known as jake?

If you are, take a D for originality.

To all others, this chap is a commy shirt lifter who writes for the evening standard, the enemy if you please.

If Im wrong, I appologise for ruining a relevant and informative thread.

3. When I was in the RVN many long years ago, I thought something artistic like Shakespearre would be good for morale. And maybe it would have. But, after I got my tour in, and got out, I forgot about that stuff real quick. I guess I'm just not a renaissance man, or an artsy-fartsy.
    In a war zone, the life of a bohemian or artsy-fartsy looks good to some of us.
    numbah_oneGI

4. 8O

5. No...but seriously....this is the Nation that finds Benny Hill funny....how they ever gonna figure out the Bard?

Hmmm....which gives me an idea :idea: ....anyone fancy forming up a touring theatrical company? I hear that there is good money in it in the States. :p

It could even give us entre into US politics.....

....and world domination :twisted:

6. I thought it was a great idea about the military having an entertainment bard, like that!

RangiRam, you are funny, I like that.....just like Monty Python's Flying Circus. A true humoursly funny guy!

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The Americans have already ruined a number of perfectly good British authors' works by Americanizing them.

Winnie the Pooh did not have an American accent, and neither did Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore or any of the other characters. It was a quintessentially English tale.

I imagine Rudyard Kipling rotating frenetically in his final resting place at the horrors that have been wreaked upon the Jungle Book.

Now they want to start on Shakespeare. Ah well, Hollywood's already had several attempts. Whatever next, Walt Disney's 'HMS Pinafore'? Just as long as I don't have to see it ....

8. Fcuk me! The Spams get visits from the dead :!:

Makes a change from Tony Hadley and a bendy woman I suppose. :D

9. You missed the humor in this. Alabama Shakesspeare Festival 8O

In it's original version:

“Is this a dagger I see before me,
    The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
    I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
    Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
    To feeling as to sight, or art thou but
    A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
    Proceeding from the heat-opprèssed brain?”
    --Act 2, Scene 1, Lines 33-39: Macbeth to himself

After the hillbillies in Alabama get a hold of it:

"That there a knife i sees in fronts of me,
    The handle facin' my mit? Let me grabs hold of its.
    Damn get me another beer, cause this moonshine is messin
    with my peepers.
    Fcukin' hot out today."