Where should I start

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Kabala, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a 23 yr old dude who was born in the civil war of Somalia and now a British citizen. I recently heard there were British boots on the ground there and just want to help out the armed forces any way. The one thing that can hinder me is the fact that I was sectioned off a couple of times due to my mental health suffering and currently on anti-psychotic medication (olanzipine). I just want to know the hurdles I face to be a serviceman as I am fluent in another language and I believe I am stable enough to pass the medical.
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

Do you just want to go back home or is there a desire to be a soldier, have you looked at being an interpreter?

the meds will probably exclude you unless you try the TA route and see if you can move across.

the FCO might also be a move for embassy/consular staff or the UN and aid agencies.
  3. Grumblegrunt, I think you handled that very well. My reply would have been a little more explicit.
  4. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

It is the same medical criteria for the TA as the regulars so your meds will stop that route as well
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I was going to say something similar. I've met a Somali civilian who was working for the yanks as a translator. He found the work he did to be rewarding as he felt that he was in his own way helping to stabilize his mother country, even though he was also going through the process of becoming a US citizen. He was also being kept very busy, so I'm sure that the opportunity is there.
    Good luck with your next step.
  6. 23 years old, Sectioned a couple of times and on a anti-psychotic, polite answer is attend your local AFCO and present the aforementioned facts, they will give you 'sound advice'.
  7. Sure I wouldn't being a soldier and sort of trained myself for the two minute tests before I realized I might not get in because of my mental history. I'm looking in to the TA route like you said but what's the FCO? Never heard of it.
  8. The TA is not really an option for you, as others have said.

FCO is the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, which deals with all our country's overseas affairs.
  9. Just to reinforce a point. The Medical requirements for the Regular army and the TA are exactly the same.
    The process now is to fill in an electronic med questionnaire, of course it is possible to lie on this form but they do get checked and your doctor will be consulted. There is also the medical at recruitment centre where you will also redo the psychometric tests. TA isnt an easy path into the army, the standard is the same.
  10. Thanks everyone! Got the info I needed and will be seeing the FCO. Really appreciate the help and will be posting to see how I'm getting on.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.