Where next?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by tommo16, Mar 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where will the boys and girls go next?? Will they go to cover the Fire Brigade still looking at striking? Will it be covering the Prison Service? There voting for strike action?? Will it even be another falklands effort- Argies at it again making waves literally in British territorial waters?? Oh forgot to mention to Iraq, Afghanistan and Kosovo and Bosnia! Lets hope Blair can find the troops i seriously doubt it. he'll have cadets on standby soon!!

2. At the moment tommo we have the smallest number mobilised than we have had since Telic 1 kicked off (if I'm wrong about that would one of our APC contributors please set the record straight). I reckon the name of the game is to recruit, recruit, recruit and then make sure the new recruits are forced through enough trainin to get tehm Fit For Mobilisation as fast as possible. I am very comfortable with the belief that the vast majority of those joining now expect that to happen anyway.

Having proven to the World that by reinforcing the Regular Services with Reserves we (i.e. UK PLC) can do "More With Less" I don't see any political or high-level Military will to return to our Cold War establishments and warfighting mindsets. Therefore even if Blair did find more troops he wouldn't do "Less With More", or even "Same With More" - he would do "Even More with a Bit More Than Less".

Our job then (at least whilst not mobilised ourselves) is a simple one of Force Generation.

3. That one's going up there alongside Rumsfeld's 'Known unknowns/unknown unknowns' quote!

4. Abacus,
    I don't doubt that "at the moment" we have a smaller number of warm bodies deployed than we have had for a while but I hope you'll forgive me suggesting that you've used a rather (Wah-generating?) selective turn of phrase. I think that if we consider those recovering from ops and add in those warned off and preparing for ops, the true figure is rather higher.
    Oh, and for a wider readership, as for the Argentinian thing, please wait out for the Foreign Office to say theres nothing to worry about before we do!

5. You may have no idea what I'm talking about but I am completely in the dark! :lol:

Rickshaw, agreed absolutely on recovering. Key point is to make sure that those ineligible for mobilisation because they are not yet back in the 3 year window actually get the 5 year window they were promised (and which seems not to be mentioned very much now :roll:). To do that we need to generate an alternative pool of warm bodies ready, willing and able to go.

6. Dear Deirdre,

My friends all make fun Donny Rumsfeld because he talked about "known unknowns" and "unknown unknowns". But I understand exactly what he was on about. Plus, I think he is dreamy: I loved his Long Haired Lover from Liverpool.

What should I do?

Fretful of the "Death Star"