Where is the black outrage over Thusha's shooting?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gadgwah, Apr 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mods.

Move this as need be,

I did not put this in the NAAFI as I did not want this to go "weapons free".

Here's the link Where is the black outrage over Thusha's shooting? - Comment - Evening Standard

I know I am banging my head against a brick wall with this.

OK, comments please, (and I am still sunburnt, so go easy on the flaying :eek:) )

I have copied and pasted the article below.

This week’s report into last summer’s riots found that the shooting of Mark Duggan was apparently the last straw for a black community under siege from the Met and its stop-and-search tactics. But this week has also seen the conviction of three young black men for shooting a five-year-old girl, Thusha Kamaleswaran, through the spine in an attempted gangland hit.

The killing of a known criminal and gang member in Tottenham triggered an orgy of looting; many community leaders leapt to Duggan’s defence. Yet the paralysing of an innocent child hasn’t elicited a peep of condolence from such leaders, let alone outrage at those responsible. And not one pair of Nikes has been stolen in protest.

The two cases highlight the hypocrisy that frames our discussion of race and crime. About a thousand people attended Duggan’s funeral, as though his death were akin to the assassination of Martin Luther King. How many of them will contribute to Thusha’s appeal fund as she contemplates life in a wheelchair?

While there should be concern about and full accounting for any killing by the police, the black community should be more concerned about the chronic degree of gun crime committed by its own members — a primary reason for the police being armed in the first place.

Stabbings and shootings by black youths in London are regular occurrences. Yet the main effective means the police have of tackling them — stopping and searching suspects — is derided as racist and oppressive.

Were stop-and-search to end, the black community would suffer most as the number of black victims would sky-rocket. This fact is lost amid the sanctimonious complaints from the likes of former City Hall race adviser Lee Jasper and Stafford Scott, a Tottenham-based race consultant. Both have made hay since the riots in their attempts to portray the police and society at large as racist.

At times their double standards have been so blatant, it’s staggering. Interviewed on Radio 4 last year, Scott decried black MPs David Lammy and Diane Abbott thus: “I see them as white people.” When historian David Starkey made a similar kind of accusation on Newsnight discussing the riots (“the whites have become black”), he was vilified. Scott, who’s black, wasn’t censured in the least. Funny, that.

One amusing sight during the riots was of a young man wearing the uniform of the urban gangster — a hoodie, gold teeth and jeans slung low, snarling war-dog in tow — castigating the police in his patois for treating him with suspicion. It was a protest akin to donning a white coat and stethoscope and then complaining that you’ve been mistaken for a doctor.

Rather than blaming society, such characters should criticise the gangster culture and its celebration of semi-literate, criminal machismo that undermines inner-city life.

And they should march in the streets of Thusha’s Stockwell neighbourhood to shame the gang members, the people who value black lives cheapest. For black gun crime is a far more lethal menace to black people in London than the Metropolitan Police will ever be.

Thusha Appeal Fund: HSBC account number 12239108, sort code 40-07-30.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. One policeman represents the entire police force, the government and the racism inherent to it. A few black individuals don't represent anyone else, so why should anyone offer any apologies. Oh yeah, this applies to muslims as well. Come on, don't you know these things.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Unfortunately, the harsh reality of the society we live in today
  4. More to the point
    Where is the white outrage over Thusha's shooting?
    Are we so afraid of the politically correct minority that we dare not say what we are thinking?
    • Like Like x 5
  5. To be honest I'm not outraged. Scrotes have been shooting at one another since guns were invented, and innocents have been getting caught in the crossfire just as long. If we all succumbed to paroxysms of outrage every time someone was injured or killed as the side-effect of criminality, we would all suffer nervous breakdowns inside a month.

If the malefactors had been enabled to evade justice through corruption or ineptitude, or had been handed derisory sentences, then I would be outraged I suppose.
  6. Didn't Starkey quote some statistics in his famous Newsnight analysis - 95% of gun crime is black-on-black?

Anybody able to verify that?
  7. I normally agree with you on most things but not this time. It is exactly that, frankly appalling, attitude that makes our streets unsafe. Instead of just tutting and saying "Well, what can you do?" We should be outraged, we should be disgusted and we should be demanding of our MPs that measures are taken to stop this kind of thing happening.

It's high time we stopped all this political correctness and set out with a will to actually tackle these problems and if that means stopping and searching more people then so be it. As it is we have a community using 'race' to avoid being policed. They are using the threat of racism to make themselves untouchable and that is an unacceptable situation.

We are all subjects of the Queen and we are all equally responsible for our behaviour and the bahaviour of our children. Why should one section of the community get carte blanche to act as they want when others aren't? Perhaps if they changed the narrowness of their perspective and stopped looking at police actions in a racist way there might be more cohesion between communities? Don't say, the majority of people stopped and searched are black, say the majority of people stopped and searched are between the ages of 15-20 and of various ethnicities.

It's high time we stopped giving in to people who cry 'racist' to control others' behaviour and we handed the onus back to the police to crack on and do their job in the knowledge that those who are law-abiding in all communities will back them to the hilt.
    • Like Like x 8
  8. Yes that seems about right.

Nothing surprises me these days. Most economists argue in favour of economic migration but what we have in Britain is welfare migration - i.e. people traversing the globe to draw on the welfare state.

The country is in dire straights. Or is it straits?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Its really very simple. We need to adopt a US model of firearms control. Make gun ownership easy for non-criminals but have a fast track to jail for those who have been banned from possessing firearms due to a previous criminal conviction and subsequently found with one.

I would also like to see increased protection for homeowners/business owners who use force to protect their property from those with criminal intent and anyone else acting in justifiable self defence. I would also like to see entry of property with criminal intent mean immediate and automatic loss of any rights to make any form of compensation claim against the property owner.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. How will this help little girls gunned down in a shop by black gangsters?
  11. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

The majority of people stopped and searched aren't black in, say, Sunderland or Glasgow.

It's called intelligence-led policing - exactly the phrase rolled out when the last government had to pretend it wasn't profiling Muslims when it came to blowing up aeroplanes and the like.

It's much less to with race than with perceived culpability - and how many of those stopped are complicit in other's actions by not saying anything?

The race card is an easy one to play. I read the Standard article and thought it was pretty fair. In fact, I sat on the rattler on the way home and thought that the writer had made himself few friends in certain communities for writing what he did. But the truth is that for certain communities it's long overdue that they clean up in their own back yards.

Will it happen? Doubt it.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. "One amusing sight during the riots was of a young man wearing the uniform of the urban gangster — a hoodie, gold teeth and jeans slung low, snarling war-dog in tow — castigating the police in his patois for treating him with suspicion. It was a protest akin to donning a white coat and stethoscope and then complaining that you’ve been mistaken for a doctor."

I did used to love that patois when the nearest they'd been to Kingston was the one in KT1 & KT2 (Zone 6-that's pretty hard core).

Many moons ago (OK, about 2003) there was an nightclub that catered for the IC3 studend crowd i Kingston. After it had kicked off in there (without police involvement) for the third night running, the local plod went and tried to arrest some people.

It ended up with urgent assistance calls and units coming from Croydon.

Mahoosive crowd of them chucking bottles and anything to hand at us. Pigs, going to kill you, etc. Someother stuff in patois I didn't understand (I speak a properly formed and elegant foreign language, rather than that shit). I didn't have a shield or any public order kit as it was just another night duty.

Anyone, the Duty Inpsector that night clearly was fed up. Gave the order to form a line, "Show of force" (ie, batons racked and held in the air-don't think they do that anymore) and then gave the order to clear the street. Do you know, by the end of the time we'd got halfway down the brave young lads hand run away.

Anyway, one lad jumped out of a kebab shop and decided to punch a dog handler in the back of the head as he walked past, so I decked him and arrested him (didn't occur to racially abuse him).

I've always wondered if we had a few more guvnors like that if London would be in the state it is now.

(But don't worry, when the Winsor review has it's rapidly promoted inspector and super's in place they'll sort it out.....
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Well, what measures do you suggest they take?
  14. Pyianno, It will help beacuse the gang members will either be in jail or far more reluctant to carry/use firearms in a public place.

It is noteable that, in the US, gun crime is far lower in areas with higher levels of (legitimate) gun ownership.

The current situation in the UK is the result of firearms being almost exclusively in the hands of criminals.