Where is he now? 10th Anniversary of the Baron of Castleshort

Taking another look at it, it appears that the Baron or his acolyte/s have attempted to make the Baron appear younger by smoothing his hands and forehead, and tried sharpening the rest of the image.
Certainly took the smile off his face...

You do realise that QSOH is probably less realistic than Emmerdale?
Next you're going to shatter our illusions and tell us Emmerdale isn't a documentary set in a rural village, full of everyday farming folk

Reading through the Walter Mitty Hunters Club, I am struck by how much effort some of these wannabes put into it. Befriending genuine Marines or Paras on Facebook so that they may refer to it later. They'll buy certificates, uniforms, fake medals - the whole nine yards.

What is it that drives these sad, sad men to these extremes?
I'm perplexed. And I speak as someone who has walted as a member of the royal navy, attached to 148 Bty and have even pretended to shag munters in both Plymouth and Portsmouth (I drew the line at Gosport).
Nobody would walt as having shagged anyone from Gosport or Rowner...

I actually had a quite productive career in charge of the paddle boat pond at Pontins in Southport.
Well, I say in charge... I was I/C "your 3 minutes is up!"

Last edited:
I'm perplexed. And I speak as someone who has walted as a member of the royal navy, attached to 148 Bty and have even pretended to shag munters in both Plymouth and Portsmouth (I drew the line at Gosport).
Nobody would walt as having shagged anyone from Gosport or Rowner...

I actually had a quite productive career in charge of the paddle boat pond at Pontins in Southport.
Well, I say in charge... I was I/C "your 3 minutes is up!"
Yellow coat, gold epaulettes, gold braid on cap, with a whistle Wow :D

You might appreciate this. A mate told me how, after I left, we sent a close Recce (Recon) troop to join the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards battle group in the Balkans. Scots DG wear grey berets (because they're descended from the Royal Scots Greys). 15th/19th Hussars wore blue. In a mixed mess, an American guy asked who these strange people were, with an even less understandable accent than the Scots?

"They're our reconnaissance troop." Thereafter, every time the 15/19H passed by, the Americans clapped and cheered.

The jocks didn't have the heart to tell the Americans that in our army, reconnaissance is a cavalry task, not SF.

Edit. The story came up on the regimental Facebook page. I had to explain to our lad why they were clapping and cheering. He was just bemused.
Same here.....Ex Purple Star 96. Myself and 5 others were on the pre-pre-pre(!) advance party. Landed at Cherry Point which is a USMC base....massive! But even then British mil mixing with our Stateside cousins was not exactly the norm to the point when we walked into the "chow house" Royston Vasey outsider stares had nothing on the 500 odd Marines! Of course we were wearing our normal dark blue berets. Well to the US guys we were British Army and SF....in the US mil they associated Army with dark blue berets in working dress as SF. We rode on the back of that for a few days until the other 2000+ British "SF" turned up which even the US know could never of fitted on the balcony!
Oh and my job on the advance party....take over 200 gas bottles and sign for 30 hire cars!!

Same here.....Ex Purple Star 96. Myself and 5 others were on the pre-pre-pre(!) advance party. Landed at Cherry Point which is a USMC base....massive! But even then British mil mixing with our Stateside cousins was not exactly the norm to the point when we walked into the "chow house" Royston Vasey outsider stares had nothing on the 500 odd Marines! Of course we were wearing our normal dark blue berets. Well to the US guys we were British Army and SF....in the US mil they associated Army with dark blue berets in working dress as SF. We rode on the back of that for a few days until the other 2000+ British "SF" turned up which even the US know could never of fitted on the balcony!
Oh and my job on the advance party....take over 200 gas bottles and sign for 30 hire cars!!
A great exercise, did you take part in the flag waving parade at the end?

The fun of bringing vehicles into the country for that exercise. We must have washed the ambi' down half a dozen times (it was like a pre- block leave inspection) before they believed it was free from all foreign soil.

Parade, no. But going to Morehead City port and being given the keys to the next vehicle that came off the ship and told "follow the vehicle in front and take it to Cherry Point" was fun....FMT 600 Pah!! But i think the washing of the vehicles and subsequent inspection was nothing to do with creep crawlies but more to do with the 2000 US camp cots that were stolen from tent city at Cherry Point.
US mil "thanks for coming over boys, we put 200 tents up for you and there are 20 camp cots in the middle of each, just collapse them when you leave".
UK mil "collapse? Im sure he said steal"!!!

I hope my service hosted you nicely and made for a good trip!

Parade, no. But going to Morehead City port and being given the keys to the next vehicle that came off the ship and told "follow the vehicle in front and take it to Cherry Point" was fun....FMT 600 Pah!! But i think the washing of the vehicles and subsequent inspection was nothing to do with creep crawlies but more to do with the 2000 US camp cots that were stolen from tent city at Cherry Point.
US mil "thanks for coming over boys, we put 200 tents up for you and there are 20 camp cots in the middle of each, just collapse them when you leave".
UK mil "collapse? Im sure he said steal"!!!
I understand the mess silver also went missing.

The fun of bringing vehicles into the country for that exercise. We must have washed the ambi' down half a dozen times (it was like a pre- block leave inspection) before they believed it was free from all foreign soil.
The area of the US where you came in is highly agricultural so there is a pretty big concern about "exotics" being inadvertently brought in.

The area of the US where you came in is highly agricultural so there is a pretty big concern about "exotics" being inadvertently brought in.
By exotics do you mean people that haven't married their cousin?

A great 2 weeks had there. I am sure I let a wee bit of spunk out watching the 26 C130's landing one after the other before we all got on them. Left long before any flag waving though.

I hope my service hosted you nicely and made for a good trip!
To be fair they were good lads. One thing we did notice is back then and not so much now our Marines get pretty much up to date kit. With the USMC lads they were saying they get the US Army hand-me-downs and not always decent kit. I think like ours thats changed now but they certainly loved our rations, stable belts and berets!

To be fair they were good lads. One thing we did notice is back then and not so much now our Marines get pretty much up to date kit. With the USMC lads they were saying they get the US Army hand-me-downs and not always decent kit. I think like ours thats changed now but they certainly loved our rations, stable belts and berets!
That was certainly the way it used to be but not at all now I understand. Glad you had a good visit.

We got a massive brief about it. However their inspections of vehicles were utter bollocks. Vehicle washed, inspected and rejected. Washed again, rejected. Sprinkled water on the roof. Rejected (but apparently much better) a couple more sessions of us not washing it and suddenly ' that what it should have been the first time'.

The Russian ship we'd used was probably a bigger risk than any amount of Aldershot soil.

Last edited:
Massive thread drift but one of our lads on Purple Star was arrested for drink driving just outside Bogue Airfield. Well i say arrested, he was picked up driving some womans car after he deemed her too pissed to drive it so being the gallant Brit (and eye on the fact he was going to get his end away) his level of drunkenness was a lot less.
Needless to say his weaving caught the attention of the local constabulary and was duly pulled over. Of course this was seen by the other lads on the pish and they came back to the airfield to report it....to me!
CO and RSM roused of course....British Soldier arrested for DUI ! Everyone was running around like headless chickens at 3 in the morning until aforementioned soldier walks into camp! So the story goes he gets lifted by female and male cops in separate cars. Female tells her companion she will take the errant soldier back to the cells whilst he deals with the car and still drunk woman.
Well i think you can guess what happened.....obviously a Brit soldier thinking on his feet, bit of banter with the female gun toting officer and sure enough he did not make it to the small town cells!
But of course being dropped off with a smile and "all charges dropped" caused a bit of a problem with what was now becoming a bit of a story as it was being reported up the CoC. The lad was marched into the CO's office and the RMP's said unless the civ police do anything then its nothing to do with them. CO was livid and apparently (i was not in the office but outside) he stood there with a slight grin as the CO ranted at him.
Days later we had a bit of R&R and i hired a Camaro, when in Rome and all that. But i had to hand it back early on the Sunday and the hire place was closed. So i asked the local cop shop next door if i could leave the car and keys with them. They said no worries but in return we had to leave them "so of your awesome rations"...fill your boots fella. But no word of a lie, a female police officer walks into the reception and the lad next to me (not the now famous non-criminal lad though) clocks her and starts grinning. She obviously realises why and goes bright red.....i would like to end the story with she was stunning but alas she was not!

Latest Threads