Where have they gone????????

Fines and Detention for a single offence? I don't recall that. 'Either / or' I think but no matter. Where else but jail could you get tucked into bed by a power crazed lancejack RP whose sole aim in life was to become a council parking warden after his 22?
No, ISTR while in Detention the soldier forfeited his pay.

Many years later I had breakfast in HMS EXCELLENT on Whale Island which was using PAYD. The food was dire, the presentation was poor, and the creature serving it looked like he had the plague. No wonder SODEXO was complaining that they couldn't make a profit from the cookhouse. It was a horrible place, no wonder all the singles just abandoned it and would eat down town or in their rooms.
Well what do you expect for a £1.42(ish?) cereal+toast+fry-up+tea breakfast?

It sounds like it's on a par with a cheap airline breakfast. My BiL went into a private hospital for a job on his pipes requiring a stay of a few days and I called in to see him. By chance, it was teatime and a lady pushing a trolley came into the room and plonked down a tray of what was essentially the same as the breakfast meal served by the airline I work, to the extent that some of the food was the very same. He's in a place costing a few grand a night and gets a two-quid meal. Plenty of profit margin built in.

Always made me chuckle when the new guys on KP duty made the puffing billy bark when on exercise. The cooks did a good job though for the most part.

M2 Burner unit gasolene.jpg

I may have been very lucky on several occasions but I never did get locked up.
About 70/71 the green jacket regiment stationed in Celle had the biggest pig farm and richest Kitchen in Baor,, but they had regimental cooks ,some were survivors of the zulu wars who were as thick as the pigshit the unit farms produced by the ton!! as I have mentioned before, a chef makes a mistake it ends up on the midday hotplate for everyone to ridicule, but mechanics , storemen ,orderly room staff and not to forget MT sgts can always cover up their cockups, and deal with their cockups in house.

About 70/71 the green jacket regiment stationed in Celle had the biggest pig farm and richest Kitchen in Baor,, but they had regimental cooks ,some were survivors of the zulu wars who were as thick as the pigshit the unit farms produced by the ton!! as I have mentioned before, a chef makes a mistake it ends up on the midday hotplate for everyone to ridicule, but mechanics , storemen ,orderly room staff and not to forget MT sgts can always cover up their cockups, and deal with their cockups in house.
My first battalion posting in 1973.

Somewhere along the line someone worked out you could do away with employing masses of chefs etc and pay less for a shit company to do it instead .
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin

We still have regular RLC Chefs, however, in much smaller numbers.

Most of the PAYD contracts have them written into them. For example “ X number of chefs working in the cookhouse at any one time”. Helps cover the cluster when the civvies dont turn in.

We have meant to retain enough to support exercises and the first turn of the handle on deployments. But as has been pointed out above, we probably rely on the reserves in reality.
@CAARPS has got it

Army chefs still exist to go on operations etc, and catering contracts have the use of CCM Core Catering Manpower written in to them, so that when not on operations they can do the job of cooking.

PAYD gets mentioned as the milestone, but that’s only when your food money was added to your pay packet. Contract catering was in long before that happened

Pre PAYD the kitchens budget was supplemented by those who didn’t use the diner or mess, and their uneaten food could go to bigger portions or the chef could make the money pay for better ingredients. With PAYD the ingredients only get paid for when you buy it, and you get the right portion size, which is typically less then you had pre PAYD, and only provides the right calories defined by JSP if you take every meal.

When PAYD was first introduced the soldier was paid the same amount that had previously been paid to the contractor, however as it is now charged at point of sale for prepared / cooked food then VAT is due, which means the caterer could not supply the right quantity & quality at that price. Only recently did VAT get taken into account in soldiers pay and now the price increase means they can —— either the price went up and the soldier got a bigger meal, or the price went up and the soldier got the same meal but the contractor didn’t make the loss per serving

Meals should be cheaper than you can buy elsewhere as the MoD subsidizes staff costs at mealtimes. Under the previous round of contracts the contractor was meant to provide x number of staff - whether you ate there or not.
Under the new HESTIA contracts the contractors quoted how much they will charge for running mealtimes, but they are not dictated to as to how many staff give cover, this means they can reduce the people and have longer queues - or if you aren’t eating there then have almost nobody there to serve - in which case they can profit by not selling food

That would be 1RGJ. My Regiment (QOH) stationed just up the road in Hohne worked with the Green Jackets on several exercises. They were a bloody good Regiment to work with.

No, ISTR while in Detention the soldier forfeited his pay.
Nice one Trig... see post #52.

You clearly don't understand the difference between fines levied for an proven offence and 'forfeiture' of pay whilst in detention.

The reason that pay was 'forfeited' was because for the duration of detention, a 'S.U.S.' wasn't actually giving Her Majesty any value for money. He wasn't doing the job he was engaged to do and Her Majesty, gawd bless 'er, didn't like that at all so she hung on to his pay.

No so much forfeiture of pay as 'not paid' as you were not performing your job whilst in jail.

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I can't be arsed to quote all the items that I want to respond to, so here's my tuppence-worth;

1) '72 whilst between ships with 20 Maritime regt. I was not allowed to work in the cookhouse at St Georges as it was staffed by civvies - I spent a week sifting spent rounds from the sand in the 25mt range.

2) 71' I was a silly billy with an SMG - I know, cooks and guns a recipe for disaster (pun intended) I subsequently spent the next 19 days as a resident of the guardroom. On the plus side, no bugger was shooting / nail bombing me. There was a shortage of cooks so I spent my day on shifts in the cookhouse where I assumed responsibility for preparing guard rations for the night. I stole all kinds of goodies and stashed them in the ration boxes so come the return to my 'secure' accommodations I was well looked after as a valuable asset and not a scrote. Didn't get paid for those days though.

3) I absolutely loved field cooking. The smell of petrol in the morning, singed eyebrows, hot brew always available for the lads and last but not least - egg banjo's!

4) After the Regs I was TA (ACC) 3 WFR for 5 years. Enjoyed it immensely - weekly piss up's.

That's it for now, time for my meds.

ACC Sgt H***** cook house Sgt at 10 sigs, went out of his way to accommodate all his " Customers"in that Shifts coming on, and off overlapped all day, this was apart from the permanent staff, and those in transit, and on many occasions, visiting troops from far away places. and from the two concems one on camp and one in Whitehall, on one occasion I asked if their was any chance of Kippers, more in jest, about a week later, kippers for breakfast, top bloke. this was about 1973-4. Many years later I heard that he had words with RAOC Conductor B****, also based at 10 Sigs, and it was he who procured the kippers.
That brought a memory or two back. Don't know if you remember, but the CO was fond of Regimental pub lunches, in the Bruno Club, usually on a Friday, with the off-duty bods at the two commcens (which were actually London Central at Horse Guards and the MOD Commcen) plus MT and Radio Troop, all from 1 Sqn, 2 Sqn from UKLF Wilton and 3 Sqn (WRAC) from Aldershot. The RSM tasked me with organising one as cheaply as possible, basically because there was no money.

The WOI Conductor you mention was the WLAS Messing Offr, and I played golf with him occasionally. I also knew Sgt H casually and those two had my back. On the Monday after the occasion, after probably 60 or more sitting down in the Bruno, I tabbed smartly into the RSM, handing him a bill for £12-50! I was flavour of the month!

That brought a memory or two back. Don't know if you remember, but the CO was fond of Regimental pub lunches, in the Bruno Club, usually on a Friday, with the off-duty bods at the two commcens (which were actually London Central at Horse Guards and the MOD Commcen) plus MT and Radio Troop, all from 1 Sqn, 2 Sqn from UKLF Wilton and 3 Sqn (WRAC) from Aldershot. The RSM tasked me with organising one as cheaply as possible, basically because there was no money.

The WOI Conductor you mention was the WLAS Messing Offr, and I played golf with him occasionally. I also knew Sgt H casually and those two had my back. On the Monday after the occasion, after probably 60 or more sitting down in the Bruno, I tabbed smartly into the RSM, handing him a bill for £12-50! I was flavour of the month!
...and the keep comcen. upstairs housed the SIB and the green slime, one of which( A dead ringer for "Where's Wally?) would dress up in full jock regalia, and at sunset, usually in the summer months, slowly walk back and forth on the crenelated roof ramparts playing the bagpipes, much to the amazement of the local population, mostly Indian, whose houses were just yards from the front gate. I was radio troop under Sgt Mell Gowling, who tragically died in 1977 in BAOR, I have seen his name on the wall of remembrance at the national memorial arboretum in Staffordshire.

Last edited:
...and the keep comcen. upstairs housed the SIB and the green slime, one of which( A dead ringer for "Where's Wally?) would dress up in full jock regalia, and at sunset, usually in the summer months, slowly walk back and forth on the crenelated roof ramparts playing the bagpipes, much to the amazement of the local population, mostly Indian, whose houses were just yards from the front gate. I was radio troop under Sgt Mell Gowling, who tragically died in 1977 in BAOR, I have seen his name on the wall of remembrance at the national memorial arboretum in Staffordshire.
The Keep was - ground floor, my boss, me and the tel exchange, plus its Post Office maintainers. First floor, commcen, working hours only, staffed by three civvies, a First Line Supvr (FLS, roughly equivalent to Cpl), a middle-aged woman who was always off sick, and a 'wife of' trainee, plus the exch ops' rest room. Top floor, as you say, the Slime, including a WRAC Offr known as 'The Royal Loo Lady", as she had to inspect any bog set aside for Her Maj on any visit to the Mil Estate in Londist - for security, natch.

I knew Mel quite well, did not know of his death that close to leaving 10 Sigs.

The Keep was - ground floor, my boss, me and the tel exchange, plus its Post Office maintainers. First floor, commcen, working hours only, staffed by three civvies, a First Line Supvr (FLS, roughly equivalent to Cpl), a middle-aged woman who was always off sick, and a 'wife of' trainee, plus the exch ops' rest room. Top floor, as you say, the Slime, including a WRAC Offr known as 'The Royal Loo Lady", as she had to inspect any bog set aside for Her Maj on any visit to the Mil Estate in Londist - for security, natch.

I knew Mel quite well, did not know of his death that close to leaving 10 Sigs.

Do you remember "mr" Lassiter, a elderly officer, or senior WO, I cannot remember which, at 10, the only bloke on camp (BLC) who had fought in WW2, what became of him?

Provided only one sausage was enough to keep you going. I’ve seen blokes almost lose fingers as the metal spatula swung over the counter to discourage them from trying to take two sausages.
Hi rgjbloke
You had me pi$$ing myself there, I got whacked by a ladle was told one sausage cun*
chipped a bone in my knuckle ( bastard )
In my civvy job I often use the canteen, it's amazing what you can hide under 2 bits of potato bread and a dollop of beans.

Contrary to rumours we were not allowed to strike customers onthe other side of the hotplates, burn or scald their fingers with porridge or tea was acceptable, in the ORs dining room at Middlewallop it was not uncommon for repeat offendersto recieve an accidental belt in the head from ernie warburton ,as he squeezed passed to go to the cooks table.

TBH I think the ACC did a pretty cracking job given some of the conditions that they had to work in. Some of the shitholes in NI and places like the rat invested sweat box of a cookhouse at Airport Camp. In NI they always had hot scoff on the go for us when we got back in from patrol.

Thinking back I believe the only time I had a cack meal from them was at South Cerney when we had to transit because the crabs broke the scareyplane. Also at Christmas time and other regimental functions, the buffets they laid on wouldn't have looked out of place in any five star hotel.

I would never have done their job even if they had tripled the money they paid them. IIRC their pay wasn't that good either.

ugly

LE
TBH I think the ACC did a pretty cracking job given some of the conditions that they had to work in. Some of the shitholes in NI and places like the rat invested sweat box of a cookhouse at Airport Camp. In NI they always had hot scoff on the go for us when we got back in from patrol.

Thinking back I believe the only time I had a cack meal from them was at South Cerney when we had to transit because the crabs broke the scareyplane. Also at Christmas time and other regimental functions, the buffets they laid on wouldn't have looked out of place in any five star hotel.

I would never have done their job even if they had tripled the money they paid them. IIRC their pay wasn't that good either.
XMG under the Hampshires, their cooks were definitely not Chefs.