Where have they gone????????

If it's orange and beside the tea urn, there's a good chance that it isn't tea! You were infantry, weren't you?
My bad, well spotted. I tended to get confused as the tea and coffee seemed to taste the same.

You lost your pay as you were deemed to be not soldiering as such. Do your detention and then soldier on as it were. You did get issued two cigarettes per day (at your own expense in my time) and you also got to make everything lovely and shiny... endlessly.

Mind you, if you refused to soldier while in detention or even under close arrest, life went rapidly down hill even further and faster than just being in jail.:):):)
Yes I remember now. You could usually spot someone who had just come out of the nick because they were sporting a Golden Virginia baccy tin that that was formerly green but now looked like polished chrome.

ugly

LE
As a matter of interest when large numbers of troops deploy to some far flung theatre of operations who knocks out the scoff? I'm pretty sure I saw 'Army' Chefs in Basra last November..

The BBC has outsourced to a company called Servix (or some such)..
Gone are the days of the Old Dear in the BBC canteen shovelling on more unrequested chips:
'Go on, Love before that fat git (insert name of presenter) get's their hands on 'em..'
The staff canteen in Rail House Crewe used to offer a half plate of chips, feck me it was a full plate, I dread to think what a full plate consisted of.

ugly

LE
Yes I remember now. You could usually spot someone who had just come out of the nick because they were sporting a Golden Virginia baccy tin that that was formerly green but now looked like polished chrome.
Toothpaste tubes and boot polish tins too. If any of our lads thought they were due a stint of stripey sunshine they would prep the tins ready!

We did that dance in Crab air - get rid of the cooks and MT drivers - civvies are much cheaper......

Try telling a civie they're on guard/fire picket/Crash guard/burning contaminated cows
Try deploying a civie to the Falklands/Afghanistan/Iraq at five minutes notice
Try sending a civie to a warzone without tripling his/her pay and asking nicely

I'm sure someone got a promotion and a nice job with the contractors out of it

ugly

LE
We did that dance in Crab air - get rid of the cooks and MT drivers - civvies are much cheaper......

Try telling a civie they're on guard/fire picket/Crash guard/burning contaminated cows

I'm sure the senior officers answer was LEC.

Yeah, it was very civilised to stroll down the cookhouse of a Sunday morning, having got a paper from the NAAFI first, and dig into a gargantuan brunch.
I liked the scoff generally, sometimes the simplest things worked really well - like the soup we had on a couple of night shoots with a tin of boiled spuds chucked in. Bloody marvelous!

Agree 100% , they did superb stuff on Ex with us.

Always liked the m as a whole.

However hated the job of waking them up during guard duty at Harrogate, we had to wake them up at about 3:30 and it was quite scary as a 16 year old having to wake up the huge hipocrockopig as her room stank like the drains, fat and oil. She allegedly used to shag some of the ATs.

Poor bastards.

It was not too long after that when Iraq happened. PMC or AFPAA or whatever they were called at the time were calling up reservists - a whole branch was created to award money to them to compensate them for lost civvy earnings and goodness knows what.

I happened to see a list of those they were trying to get hold of for a given month. Almost exclusively MTDs and chefs they had made redundant over the preceding couple of years. Although a few told them to poke it and headed for the hills, others successfully appealing, the majority answered the call.

It immediately occurred to me, "What happens next time? These guys will be too old and the sausage machine is not replacing them." AFAIK, nobody was addressing that.

ugly

LE
I happened to see a list of those they were trying to get hold of for a given month. Almost exclusively MTDs and chefs they had made redundant over the preceding couple of years. Although a few told them to poke it and headed for the hills, others successfully appealing, the majority answered the call.
You have answered the question, with ech becoming a reserves tool the MoD is hoping that shit jobs will be done a fortnight a year, calling people up for regular reserve service for Telic and Herrick was insane and possibly illegal. I see no one has been prosecuted for not attending so why was it even attempted? Neither were national emergencies, the MoD failing to plan for expeditionary bush wars hardly classes as a national emergency!
Its all gone to hell in a hand cart.
Look at the recent thread regarding national service and you will see the arguments against any form of compulsion. Compulsary military service is wrong, it could however work if on leaving school at 18 the half a million kids were offered military service (strictly voluntary) for a year with free trade training for those electing to stay for 3 years but with a legally binding reserve commitment or civic duties/peace corps type stuff for those not wishing to don uniforms.
I reckon you would get about 100 000 recruits annually of whom about 20 000 would elect to go longer term.
Its a massive commitment to the MoD but it would allow a return to having Bns as cadres rotating through training depots for a couple of years at a time.
This would give us a steady supply of tradesmen to ensure we had the skills that dont seem attractive for a military career but would be useful for civ div after service!

.......and of course RAF caterers had to keep the kitchens open during exercises, night flying and 'incidents' without demanding overtime or flatly refusing....... 'cos it's not in the budget/contract

The guard force always had extra rats - because the caterers did guard themeslves

ugly

LE
.......and of course RAF caterers had to keep the kitchens open during exercises, night flying and 'incidents' without demanding overtime or flatly refusing....... 'cos it's not in the budget/contract

The guard force always had extra rats - because the caterers did guard themeslves
I have only seen our chefs on guard once, in Belfast as we were stretched beyond belief. The Guard always got extra rations because the army scaled the rations to include 24 hour camp guards. Our chefs were busy enough without asking for camp passes on the gate.
That said our BnHeavy weight boxer known as Tiny was an ACC Chef. Begged us for a month to take him out on a footsie at Macrory park in 1983.
He got his wish, earned his medal and never asked again.
We in return had steaks instead of banjos that night!

I liked the scoff generally, sometimes the simplest things worked really well - like the soup we had on a couple of night shoots with a tin of boiled spuds chucked in. Bloody marvelous!
3PARA cookhouse in Bruneval Bks was great. I had the same lunch every day. Sausage roll, chips and beans.

Easy to please, me.

Theoretically of course the money saved by them being far cheaper to employer compared to a military chef would be more than enough to pay that overtime. Although that would of course require efficient budgetary management & some of that saving to be earmarked for overtime, which is where the plan falls apart

Agree 100% , they did superb stuff on Ex with us.

Always liked the m as a whole.

However hated the job of waking them up during guard duty at Harrogate, we had to wake them up at about 3:30 and it was quite scary as a 16 year old having to wake up the huge hipocrockopig as her room stank like the drains, fat and oil. She allegedly used to shag some of the ATs.

Poor bastards.
And yet... she was probably under 35 and smeared with Mazola, quite alluring. Probably worth it for the extra sausage she’d obviously regard as a fair exchange for the extra sausage you were serving up to her.

That explains everything, who else would put milk in squash?
I did once to make an orange milkshake, but that was during my infant days. Too young and bright to add ry to the end.

Didn't work in case you were wondering.