Where have they gone????????

My lad is starting phase two next week and asked me .....where have all the army chefs gone ...I asked why ...he said it's sodexo this sodexo that ...the foods cheap limited menu .so there you have it ...where have they gone

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well, I've retired, not sure about the rest of them.

They all used to spit in the chip fat anyway.

Who want’s to eat grub that’s been spat in? :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
They all used to spit in the chip fat anyway.

Who want’s to eat grub that’s been spat in? :)
Funnily enough, most of the Army when it didn't mean handing over cold, hard cash.

I might be dumb but what is Sodexo? I ain't in the army yet :D
International company which provide food service contracting for anything from military to prisons , schools , hospitals etc .

Somewhere along the line someone worked out you could do away with employing masses of chefs etc and pay less for a shit company to do it instead .

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Funnily enough, unless on operations or exercise, when was army food ever free?
I didn't say free, i said handing over cold hard cash. Pre PAYD, the money for food was taken at source (ie out of your pay as a deduction) so you never missed or accounted for it, walk up to the hotplate, pick your food and eat. After PAYD, you had to have cash to be able to eat, walk up to the hotplate, pick your food and go to a cash desk/till to physically pay for it before eating it.

I didn't say free, i said handing over cold hard cash. Pre PAYD, the money for food was taken at source (ie out of your pay as a deduction) so you never missed or accounted for it, walk up to the hotplate, pick your food and eat. After PAYD, you had to have cash to be able to eat, walk up to the hotplate, pick your food and go to a cash desk/till to physically pay for it before eating it.
So in actual fact, you didn’t get the chance to hand over cold hard cash because they’d already taken the money for food and accommodation in advance before it even got to your bank account!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
So in actual fact, you didn’t get the chance to hand over cold hard cash because they’d already taken the money for food and accommodation in advance before it even got to your bank account!
You're coming across as one of those who complained that he was paying for food he didn't eat because he went home at weekends, hence why the Forces now have the clusterfuck that is PAYD.
Also before the payrise in the early 70s, food and accom was free.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I might be dumb but what is Sodexo? I ain't in the army yet :D
Sodexo is the organisation [from outside the forces] that feeds the forces today. In the old days [when most of us were in], in the Army we had the ACC, who were the Armys chefs and soldiers themselves [term used loosely]. They weren't "Royal" Army Catering Corps because they were mostly thieving dirty bastards and not considered worthy :wink:

Last edited:
You're coming across as one of those who complained that he was paying for food he didn't eat because he went home at weekends, hence why the Forces now have the clusterfuck that is PAYD.
Also before the payrise in the early 70s, food and accom was free.
My thughts on where save as you starve came from too

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sodexo is the organisation [from outside the forces] that feeds the forces today. In the old days [when most of us were in], in the Army we had the ACC, who were the Armys chefs and soldiers themselves. They weren't "Royal" Army Catering Corps because they were mostly thieving dirty bastards and not considered worthy :wink:
We weren't RACC because it sounded too much like WRAC when pronounced using only the initials. ;-) But, we did get to wear a crown although not "Royal".

Funnily enough, unless on operations or exercise, when was army food ever free?
Before the Military Salary was introduced in 1970, food and accommodation was free for singlies, but pads' net pay, enhanced by Marriage Allowance, married LOA and stuff, could be up to three times as much for the same rank and job, so Mil Salary, with the food and accn charges that came with it was introduced on the usual April Fools Day that year.

Edited to add 'net'.