Where Eagles Dare - Helicopter?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Bravo2nothing, Apr 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just settled down with some beers, dismissed the wench and kicked the brats in to touch.

So there I am watching Where Eagles Dare and a Helicopter shows up, WTF?

Can anyone explain whether this is 'correct' or just Hollywood re-inventing the wheel.

2. according to wikimadeupshit:

The luftwaffe had these:

Flettner Fl 184 prototype reconnaissance helicopter
    Flettner Fl 282 Kolibri (Hummingbird), reconnaissance helicopter
    Focke Achgelis Fa 223 Drache (Kite), transport helicopter (prototype
    Focke Achgelis Fa 266 Hornisse (Hornet), helicopter (prototype)
    Focke Achgelis Fa 330, helicopter (prototype)
    Focke Achgelis Fa 336 scout helicopter (prototype), 1944
    Focke-Wulf Fw 61, helicopter (prototype)
    Focke-Wulf Fw 186, autogiro reconnaissance aircraft (prototype)

I remember seeing one in a museum somewhere but it escapes me.......

3. I'd say its a bit of both mate.

4. It's not really correct although there were some early helicopters flying. I don't think anything was near to being operational.

5. I know the scene you mean Never understood why it was in the film anyway

6. "Goofs for
    Where Eagles Dare (1968)
    advertisement Anachronisms: Although helicopters weren't widely used in military operations until well after World War II, the US and Germany had both experimental and production helicopters, but the helicopter shown landing inside the German compound was a Bell model 47 which did not see production until 1947"

Knew the 'copter in the film was a septic, I just thought you ment in real life.

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

8. I'd taken that as a given.

9. I think you will find that a number of FA-223 Drache helicopters were operational particularly with the alpine units although not seeing much action they did do recovery/rescue missions including self recovery when they spanked in which they were prone to doing

I think the eagles dare thingy is homage to that rather idea rather than truly accurate - or as we would like to say Hollywood B****ks!

KDB

10. doent mention the bit where they climb out of the river and the "snow" melts into the water......it was salt and goes gloopy when wet! "speshul efects" ...eh?

11. The Luftwaffe had operational heilcopters in WW2. I think from 1943?

12. IIRC, the helicopter in the Alistair McLean novel is a period Arado helicopter. but there aren't any surviving examples so they just used a Bell 47 for the movie.

Still at least they made some effort. How many 60's war movies have Walker Bulldog and M16 half-tracks for Panzers and Hanomags? :D

13. True.

14. I may be mistaken but I zeem to remember ze Casedral was on ze uzzer side of ze square.....