Where Eagles Dare 151755z Jan 12

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ah yes...Heidi , bless her....a Hammer Horror regular apparentely ....
Ingrid Pitt - Biography

According to her, she was in a Kz for three years as a child....sadly wrapped it in 2010.

as for hardman Burton boyo handling hot lamps bare handed - TCHAH!.....why, Clint was riding that BavariaMotoWerke combo* through a sub-zero Austrian winterscape with NO GLOVES.....

Erin Dawes had only just commented on the lack of mag changes - when damme both Clint and Mary Ure calmly reload their MP38's - AS IF THIS WASN'T HOLLYWOOD.....

Bet they had a ball making it.

We also loved the fact that although everyone was supposedly speaking German, only the BAD Germans like the stalwart Anton Differing had to put the accent on...hee hee, great film - and an affectionate but sincere remake is a definitely on the cards ....have to re-title it though....

On the locations I'm sure the airfield shots at the end were Innsbruck....or was it all done at Pinewood ?

* could have been a Cossack I 'spose - they were selling them up till about 1995 - direct copy of the 1941 Wehrmacht bike.

Ah yes...Heidi , bless her....a Hammer Horror regular apparentely ....
Ingrid Pitt - Biography

According to her, she was in a Kz for three years as a child....sadly wrapped it in 2010.

as for hardman Burton boyo handling hot lamps bare handed - TCHAH!.....why, Clint was riding that BavariaMotoWerke combo* through a sub-zero Austrian winterscape with NO GLOVES.....

Erin Dawes had only just commented on the lack of mag changes - when damme both Clint and Mary Ure calmly reload their MP38's - AS IF THIS WASN'T HOLLYWOOD.....

Bet they had a ball making it.

We also loved the fact that although everyone was supposedly speaking German, only the BAD Germans like the stalwart Anton Differing had to put the accent on...hee hee, great film - and an affectionate but sincere remake is a definitely on the cards ....have to re-title it though....

On the locations I'm sure the airfield shots at the end were Innsbruck....or was it all done at Pinewood ?

* could have been a Cossack I 'spose - they were selling them up till about 1995 - direct copy of the 1941 Wehrmacht bike.
Yes, which explains Clint's lack of gloves. I stand by my admiration for the indomitable Mr Burton. :)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ingrid Pitt could probably have had both of them over that desk till they BEGGED for mercy.....twice........nails....

And as for locations....Donnerwetter!...Achtung Schweinhund.! ....Nicht Schiessen kamerad..Der Americanische hat hundkuchen in der Tasche ! :

Where Eagles Dare ( 1968 ) - Filming locations

Filming locations for Where Eagles Dare (1968)
Aigen im Ennstal, Steiermark, Austria
(airfield)

Bavaria, Germany

Borehamwood Studios, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, England, UK
(studio)

Ebensee, Upper Austria, Austria

Lofer, Salzburg, Austria

MGM British Studios, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, England, UK
(studio)

Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria

Samedan airport, Samedan, Kanton Graubünden, Switzerland

Schloss Werfen, Salzburg, Austria

Werfen, Salzburg, Austria

It isn't the number of mag changes that cracks me up, it's the apparently inexhaustible supply of spare mags and bundles of gelly with tripwire/timer devices that they are able to carry in a couple of daysacs.

"Whistle up a Pathfinder squadron of Lancasters with ten ton bombs. I don't think anybody in that castle will ever talk again."

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Nah, that's WERTHER's ....this is the << FESTUNG HOHENWERFEN >> - AKA 'Schloss Adler'

A fortress becomes an attraction
Following the secularisation of Salzburg, from 1803 the castle changed over to Bavarian rule and was allowed to fall into disrepair and ruin. Between 1824 and 1833 Archduke Johann, the emperor’s brother, had the medieval castle repaired and restored for romantic and nostalgic reasons. The castle was then mostly used as a hunting base. In 1898 Archduke Eugen purchased the castle and expanded the complex into a stately home and added a large collection of art and weaponry.

In 1931 the main building in the castle complex was completely destroyed by fire. During Nazi rule the castle was used as a military training centre and from 1945 to 1987 it was used by Salzburg’s police school. Since 1987 the fortifications have been developed as a tourist attraction
The Austrians are characteristically coy about what it was used for '39-45.....given the later Police connection I imagine it was an S.S location.....Austria was very much part of the Reich war machine and had a number of POW cages in and around Innsbruck and Salzburg. Innsbruck was regularly clobbered by both RAF and USAAF.

Yup ....seems that both the Russkies and the Luftwaffe operated small (Bell Sioux!) bellypoppers from about 1944 onwards.......God I remember seeing that film at the Kinema with my old man ......rattlin good yarn thobut .....Clint has a certain way with bundles of dynamit nicht wahr ? :thumright: hee hee

Well ripe for a remake though !
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, a remake to meet today's standards would have be diverse and non-elitist. How do you see that working in terms of characterisation. cast, storylines etc

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, a remake to meet today's standards would have be diverse and non-elitist. How do you see that working in terms of characterisation. cast, storylines etc
The Richard Burton role would be played by Mel Gibson. Admiral Rolland would also be an American played by Samuel L Jackson, though the treacherous Colonel would of course be played by Jeremy Irons or Alan Rickman.

The women would still show cleavage, but would also be black-belt ninjas and would rescue the men at least once. The cable-car scene would be replaced with a battle between Me 109s, one piloted by Heidi and another by Mel Gibson, against three Luftwaffe sqns. At one point, Gibson would leap from his crippled fighter, land on the canopy of another plane, pull the German out and take over his plane before turning the battle and rescuing Heidi.

Does anyone know if the tree with 'RB 68' carved into it is still there? They used to include it as part of the tour for anyone daft enough to climb up the mountain overlooking the Scholss.

Posh public -school accents would have to be ditched in favour of regional ones which would affect the casting, there would have to be some ethnics in the mix and, of course, there would have to be at least one disabled person. That Junkers would have to go for not being wheelchair-friendly.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Stop spoiling my illusions ya buggers.....I was musing on 'diversity meets historical fact' issue for the fillums the other morning...

true dit...back in 2002, along with about 500 other people I queued up to be a background artiste ( extra) on the Spielberg 'Band of Brothers' mini-series...bloke in front of me had spent 9 years in the Royal Green Jackets, including Kosovo and NI....probably seen more muck and bullets than the entire cast and crew including the mil adviser, a Nam veteran called Dale Dye put together ....however given that the Unit portrayed (516th PIR, 101st Airborne ) was exclusively WHITE this lad , who was from Eltham, had no chance.....

Hollywood should get it's head around the sad-but-true fact that the United States Armed Forces were officially segregated up till the end of the Korean War ......

As for disabled serving - take your pick from Lord Nelson to Capt Danjou, Douglas Bader and dozens more....historically not an issue .

The Richard Burton role would be played by Mel Gibson. Admiral Rolland would also be an American played by Samuel L Jackson, though the treacherous Colonel would of course be played by Jeremy Irons or Alan Rickman.
With your cast it can be named 'Diehard 5'

Stop spoiling my illusions ya buggers.....I was musing on 'diversity meets historical fact' issue for the fillums the other morning...

true dit...back in 2002, along with about 500 other people I queued up to be a background artiste ( extra) on the Spielberg 'Band of Brothers' mini-series...bloke in front of me had spent 9 years in the Royal Green Jackets, including Kosovo and NI....probably seen more muck and bullets than the entire cast and crew including the mil adviser, a Nam veteran called Dale Dye put together ....however given that the Unit portrayed (516th PIR, 101st Airborne ) was exclusively WHITE this lad , who was from Eltham, had no chance.....

Hollywood should get it's head around the sad-but-true fact that the United States Armed Forces were officially segregated up till the end of the Korean War ......

As for disabled serving - take your pick from Lord Nelson to Capt Danjou, Douglas Bader and dozens more....historically not an issue .
Majority of the big budget war films from Hollywood in the 50s 60s, forgot about the segregation law.

Harold Russell was one of the first disabled actors to appear onscreen postwar.

For that surely Bruce Willis "John McClean" would be needed somewhere still in his dirty vest, sorry, cold weather issue thermal underwear.
He could play Richard Burton's (Gibson can direct) role resplendent with British accent.

The final scene would be:

BW: "I've taken the liberty, Colonel, of removing the firing pin"

AR (Alan Rickman): 'CLICK' "oh cock, 't'is the winter of my discontent' AR then exits plane mitout 'chute.

BW: (whilst retaining upper class british accent): "yippee ki ya motherfucker".

Closing credits

Oh it's only in the bag, let's do it - ARRSE productions presents.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
If Mel Gibson directed , then the Brits would be portrayed as cold-hearted but essentially chickenshit bastards who have to be rescued by the fearfully gallant Fifth Cavalry ( who would never dream of urinating on on Boche fallen) ....I often wonder what the the hell UK did to that twat to piss him off so....mind you - he's a failed Aussie ......nuff said.