Where Eagles Dare 151755z Jan 12

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Goatman, Jan 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...is on ITV 4 (Freeview 24) TONIGHT at 1755.....' Broadsword calling Danny Boy,over'....
  2. Thanks for the tip off. Missed the start but it's on again on Saturday, same time, same channel.
  3. Never got the ending, where the Colonel only finds out in the Junkers that Richard Burton had removed the firing pin in his sten before departing on the mission.

Are they really insinuating that pie-eating double agents didn't check fire their weapons before going over enemy (friendly) territory?

Up until that point it's a rivetting yarn and totally believable. Ruined by the denoument.....
  4. Thanks Goatman.

This is my favourite war movie.
    Watched Das Boot yesterday, so I'm on a roll.
  5. Wouldn't it be noticeable to remove a firing pin in a Sten? IIRC isn't it fixed to the bolt which is probably half the weight of the weapon.
  6. I thought that as well, fixed wasn't it just as it was on the Sterling? I suppose you could knock it off with a chisel or file it down though.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pre-op checklist. Sten, mags, rope, knife, angle grinder .........
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Was good film up to the point where the chopper enters. Now, I suppose its perfectly feasible that they had Helos in WWII, its just lost all its credibility for me then. It just didn't seem right.
  9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well the font of all things accurate (wiki) lists some 26 helicopters or autogyros used by the Germans during WWII. So it's not beyond reason that such a craft wouldn't have been available to Eastwood and Burton's opposition.
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Yup ....seems that both the Russkies and the Luftwaffe operated small (Bell Sioux!) bellypoppers from about 1944 onwards.......God I remember seeing that film at the Kinema with my old man ......rattlin good yarn thobut .....Clint has a certain way with bundles of dynamit nicht wahr ? :thumright: hee hee

Well ripe for a remake though !
  11. The German Kolibri was the first helicopter to enter military service in 1942, granted it was only a single seater.
    Flettner-282 | Aircraft |
  12. The very best thing about 'Where eagles dare' is that Richard Burton stated that when he had made the film, his family reckoned he had arrived as an actor; he had been in a film with that proper star Clint Eastwood!
  13. Admiral Rolland gives Colonel Wyatt the sten. There is an exchange of dialog where Smith reminds Wyatt that Rolland personally ensured he had the correct weapon.
  14. I'm sure the Germans used gyrocopters on a cable to help surfaced U Boat packs locate Allied convoys
  15. the thing that impressed me was when Burton unscrewed a light bulb in the cable car WITH HIS BARE HAND!!!!
    That is one hard bastard.