Where does the term “choggie” come from?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by TheCheerfulSubbie, Oct 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being a bit of a nosey sod, I’m always curious to know the meanings behind a lot of old Army words. I understand “dhobi” and “char” are old Indian Army words, that are still used today, and I remember the Falkland Islanders being called “Bennys” and then “Stills”. But after visiting my local choggie tailors here in sunny Iraqistan, I realised I didn’t have a clue about the origins of “choggie”, and neither did anyone else.

Is it slang? Worse, is it a derogatory word, like the “n” word? Any suggestions?

:?

TCS

2. Cheers Cypherman, I already had a read through that, but it still doesn't enlighten me on why the word "choggie" is used!

3. Brilliant. Tells you everything you wanted to know except the answer to the question. :roll:

Most probably naval slang from "ChinkyChonky Chinaman" to Choggie isn't too far a move.

Thats where I was told it came from anyway.

I am sure the mighty brainpower of arrse will enlighten me.

4. Quick google brings up this:

Linky

Naval saying - A Chinaman

Short and sweet just like me.

5. Choggie is a naval term. Choggie to a naval homo simply meant "chinaman"

to add: But clearly beaten by Stumpy!

6. Makes a change for me, I'm one of those ones who ploughs through a thread waiting to make my point only to find it's already been made...twice!

Wonder if our ipod wearing surrender monkeys still use the term? All the main searches on Google bring up army references/links.

7. When we were in HK (!!) Cheog was a term for Chinese but deemed insulting by them.

8. I used to know a bloke called Chogy King (initial P). One of the duller lads (probably put up to it) asked him why. Quick as a flash, his oppo replied "'Cos he's fcukin' nosh!"

9. Ref FI,-Prior to "benny" and "Stills",they were known as--Hobbits.

10. If you drop a g it brings up this:

Chogie

11. just for reference, the Falkland Islanders are now known as Andy's, they worked out what "Still's" were
    (And 'e's still a benny)

12. They were called Bennies because of the woolen hats, they looked like Benny in crossroads, they were ordered to stop calling them Bennies (pc reasons) so the lads started calling them SB,s when asked about this, they said because they're still Bennies :lol:

13. If I remember correctly, some of the older regiments had thier own specific Choggie, in the 'Fighting Forty Twa',(1 BW RHR), in the early 70's, the shops in NI were run by a family who's top guy was called Goolum Nabi. This went a a long way back in regimental history to the days of the raj.

This could be a load of bolloxs, but it's what I was told as a young whippersnapper.

CTC