Where does the GOP go from here?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by KevinB, Nov 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, the septic election is over - and the septic republicans are regrouping. But, the question is, where do they go from here? Do they try to become more of a big tent party or do they move ever more to the radical right - or do they do something entirely different?

Originally, Barry Goldwater's GOP stood for fiscal conservatism and no government interference in private matters. But after Goldwater's presidential bid came to nothing, they decided to energise voters who had been politically apathetic - evangelical Christians.

Their efforts were funded primarily by large corporations, industry groups, and conservative foundations -- including R.J. Reynolds, Koch Industries, and the American Petroleum Institute -and a group called ALEC took a chain-restaurant approach to public policy, supplying precooked McBills to state lawmakers. In 2000, according to the council, members introduced more than 3,100 bills based on its models, passing 450 into law.

To me, sounds like legalised bribery. Anyway, in 1980, the term 'moral majority' was coined, and an intense push to get members of fundamentalist, Pentecostal and charismatic churches politically involved, was made by the septics.

And so thousands of fundamentalist preachers went to political training seminars that year and in turn, they got more than 2 million people to register Republican. Eventually, with this grassroots efforts, they unseated five very liberal Dems in the Senate and helped Reagan beat Carter. The sleeping giant had awoken - but one that could possibly destroy the very fabric of US society and its Constitutional basis.

This injection of theocracy has caused a dangerous schism in US politics - and amongst the US citizens themselves - that I don't think can be reconciled. Where to now, republicans?

2. A very interesting question - and you obviously know more about US politics than I do.

I think that as most people are pretty conservative in their attitudes, conservative parties ought to be in power much more often than not. All they have to do is play their cards right and display moderate economic and administative competence. I suppose Dubya's lot are a good experience of failing to do that. Americans seem to be much more individualistic than Europeans, too, and fewer of them seem to think that their happiness is the government's responsibility, so that should incline them away from the Democrats. However, the political establishment does seem to run on pork.

The Republicans will have to take a lesson from Cameron and detoxify their brand. Then they will have to accept that the US is where it is - attempts to put the clock back on, say, abortion, will not help them. And finally, they will have to find a really good candidate. Sarah Palin will not do, I'm afraid. They need a candidate that educated and open-minded people can vote for without embarrassment.

3. I don't follow the news that closely, but it seems Cameron isn't exactly the opposition leader everybody's talking about and can't wait to get in power. If he does win the next election, I think it'll be by default not because he's any good.

4. Where does the GOP go from here?

Nowhere.

As long as the diehards keep insisting that Sarah Palin is the future of the party then the GOP is stuck on neutral.

As Brits, you all need to realize the Tories have been out of power this last decade or so because they made the party a yatch club. If the same happens to the Republicans in the next few years it will make the next GOP loss even more devastating.

It will take a generation for the GOP to untangle itself from the mess they created this last eight years.

Unless the GOP finds a way to move forward without all the pitfalls of exclusiveness and arrogance that have defined it's existence since '00 then it has no future.

5. what's a yatch club?

and if I remember correctly, the tories did pretty well when to the right and anything but when more centrist and haven't looked anything like a serious opposition party since, trying to appeal to a minorities who would never vote for them anyway doesn't work

6. And you nailed the GOP's problem on the head :D

If the GOP continues down the current tack they will disappear up their own arrse.

7. concur!!

8. More interesting info about the future of the septics is that Obama's win may have knocked out the southern region of US from its importance to national politics for quite a while. The South voted for McCain in large numbers - but this made no difference. Its absence from Obama’s winning formula means it's backing may no longer be needed in order to win the US presidency.

9. I think Colin Powell outlined the problems with the Republican party in his endorsement of Obama, and his statements after the election. The GOP would do well to listen to him. The party needs to move back to the center

10. That's what McLame tried and it didn't work. Moderates are not worthy of any pandering, as they are an unreliable quantity.

Powell, McLame, Graham, Snowe, Collins, and all thre rest of the "centrist" in the party are not the solution they are the problem.

McLame lost because 1) he didn't inspire or talk to the base, 2) said nothing new nor did he sound any more different then Obama, 3) has the personalty of that crocthity annoying old guy next doort that yells at kids everytime they throw a ball in his yard.

What is telling is Obama had to move right in the last days of the campaign, abandoning his far left rhetoric for more right leaning rhetoric. Not that he will enact any of the right leaning policies, they were just a means to his ends.

11. Don't pander to electoral lobbies, put up some principles and stick to them. If people don't elect you, it does not necessarily mean the principles were wrong...

12. or just elect the "other guy" :D

13. But if they don't win elections, what is the point? They will not have the power to implement any of their agenda, and that is the essence of politics.

Seems to me the GOP has moved as far right as it can - but if it moves towards the middle, it risks losing those supporters. However, if it doesn't, the backing of these fundamentalists no longer seems enough to ensure a win.

14. The GOP has to realign themselves in the manner they did when they performed that contract with America stunt... basically position themselves to be a viable option once the public is sick of the new crowd of jokers they elected into office. Won't take long for the honeymoon to be over in fact... Obama is doing a real shocking job of appointing very contentious types to key positions in his cabinet.

15. Where's the change? All his cabinet appointments are pretty much a mirror image of the Clinton Era mixed with typical failures like Daschel and other scrotes from the democrat party under belly.