Where do you hid your spare car key.

I live in fear of losing my car keys, but as I've generally run older cars I've always managed find a little hidey-hole to safely put a spare key in should I need it. My two previous cars were Ford Focusesss and they had a snap on/off panel on the exterior front doors which would accommodate and conceal a key.

But my latest car has a very economical design and I can't find anywhere to put one.

I've seen these little magnetic boxes you can buy to attach to one of the panels, but they don't look reliable.

Be interested to know what others do.

MM

I live in fear of losing my car keys, but as I've generally run older cars I've always managed find a little hidey-hole to safely put a spare key in should I need it. My two previous cars were Ford Focusesss and they had a snap on/off panel on the exterior front doors which would accommodate and conceal a key.

But my latest car has a very economical design and I can't find anywhere to put one.

I've seen these little magnetic boxes you can buy to attach to one of the panels, but they don't look reliable.

MM
In the past before remote control fobs were a thing, I used to electrical tape a key to the drivers side control arm. It held the key there a lot better than those magnetic boxes ever did, and the key never got rusty.

MM
get a locksmith to make you a flat 'door opening only' key, which you keep in your wallet.
keep a spare key inside the car in some hidey hole

4(T)

LE
I put a key in one of those magnetic boxes and placed it underneath the car near the spare wheel moulding at the rear of the floor pan.

I subsequently drove about 120k, including all over Europe on potholed roads, etc.

When i scrapped the car twelve years later, the box was still there, hanging on for grim death....

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
my spare keys are in my neighbours safe his are in mine .

But then you've got to go and buy a damn iPhone.

True. Phone addicted children tend to be irresponsible with things like keys but unlikely to mislay their little electronic security blankets.

Adults don't have that problem so the issue is moot.

Latest Threads