Where do you get your news?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by js374, Jan 13, 2010.

?
  1. BBC

37.5%
  2. ITV

0.9%
  3. Channel 4

0.9%
  4. Sky

8.0%
  5. Telegraph

9.8%
  6. Daily Mail

5.4%
  7. Guardian

7.1%
  8. Independent

2.7%
  9. Sun (or other red tops)

0.9%
  10. The Metro

1.8%
  11. Right here on Arrse

25.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering where people on here get the majority of their news from or what you would consider 'your' newspaper to be.

Personally I go for the Telegraph for news and the Guardian opinion section for something to disagree with. That said I am a regular reader of Arrse for military centric news.

2. Ever thought about the Radio or the Internet as other options. shhheeeeesssshhhh

3. Or formed opinion from more than one source?

4. Just voted but wouldn't allow me to vote for 2 options.

I tend to rely on my news coming from Channel 4 to be objective and read the Independent. For instant news I switch on to Sky and get news updates through on my mobile.

5. Sorry I should have stuck in an 'other' option (and the Times). I based my list purely on the most common sources from article that get posted here on a regular basis. If I listed every possible source the poll would stretch to hundreds. My list was in no way meant to be exhaustive.

Nor were the two I mention personally my only news sources. Private eye, Guy Fawkes, The Register, New Scientist and Scientific America being some of the less mainstream sources that I read.

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I use the BBC for news, Eye for mirth (and bitingly accurate observations)The Times for comment and Bloomberg for financials.

I is a edumacated and rounded individual, me :)

7. Currently reading The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly, it mentions some top U.S. Newspapers going down during the recession, although a work of fiction it is still loosely based around a few truths and makes you wonder just how long newspapers as we know them today can last, what with the internet and smaller and smaller internet based gadgets coming out on the market, news for most of us in ARRSE is undoubtedly initially web based.

8. Unless by "News" you mean celebrity gossip, inane summaries, no commentary, dumbing down to the point of idiocy, forget the BBC.
    If, on the other hand, you want to learn what's going on in the world, try Sky, CNN, Russia Today or even Al Jazeera.
    Papers-wise the Telegraph is good, any of the red tops rubbish, and the Daily Sport an insult.
    'Eye is always entertaining and does a great job keeping tabs on the "great and good"'s antics.
    Best all rounder though, I think, is Channel 4, who provide news and comment, and aren't shy of going after MPs (for example) that never answer the question asked. As for on-line, ARRSE every time.

9. BBC for news, Guardian ( and observer) for sport, The Register for entertaining geek stuff.

That said, for really really breaking news it's gotta be arcanine. Eg if US and A nukes iran, it'll be there first.

10. You Mods are probably aware, but there's an option in the site's software to allow 'voters' to choose as many options as they like, instead of here, where you're effectively only allowing them to vote for one source of news. I read or watch at least five of the options on offer, and I doubt I'm in any way unique in this respect.

11. Only 1 vote, I get my "news" from a variety of sources. Be they TV, radio, print and internet.

Bah humbug.

12. I get mine from NAAFI break gossip, not always accurate but always worth listening to and Big Brother is never mentioned.

13. Apart from Arrse, various TV channels and the internet.

14. C4 for TV news
    BBC and Arrse for online news
    Guardian, Observer, Economist and Eye for print

I would never go near:

Sky
    Daily Hate
    ITV

15. Al Jazeera, Pravda, The Voice of Truth,