Where do the words Biff and No Duff come from?

Discussion in 'ARRSEpedia' started by Runner, Sep 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the origin of the word Biff as in Biff chit or 'he's a right Biff'?

And why 'No Duff' for a real casualty as opposed to a cas. sim. victim?

Just curious that's all. Should I get out more, d'ya think?
  2. "No Duff" (I think NODUF in siggy notation) was the proword to identify any real event which might otherwise be confused with exercise events, typically some emergency but not just for casualties.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

No Duff from "not duff information"
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Proword NoWah.

Biff comes from the disease spina bifida. If you happen to suffer from this you are a complete biff.

Noduf (note the one F) is an old (ww2?) signals code for "No Direction finding equipment to be used on this message as it is not an exercise transmission"
    • Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 3
  5. No Duff or NODUF is, as correctly stated, not duff information, i.e. true.

Biff comes from the congenital medical condition Spina Bifida. I can't be arrsed to list all the signs and symptoms here but google it and you will see why certain people are described as "right biffs".

And, yes, you do need to get out more...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The proword 'NODUF' was taken from the shortened version of 'No Direction Finding', meaning that it was a real message and shouldn't be used to DF the exercise location by the 'enemy'.

Once the idea that if something was NODUF or 'Not Duff' it was real took hold, it would have been a short step to assuming that the opposite of good information was 'Duff' information.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  7. While we are on VP, does anyone know why we say "Roger" meaning message understood or agreed?
  8. From an RN perspective a BIF was an international student at BRNC Dartmouth - stood rather obviously for "Britain's International Friends". It took on a rather derogatory meaning though as many were of Middle Eastern origin and some of them had little interest in being there. I think the term was subsequently changed to IS "International Student". Or that's what I recall anyway!!

The RN uses something called the "Safeguard Rule". Before a major exercise onboard a pipe will be made stating "The Safeguard Rule is now in force". All subsequent pipes are taken as "For Exercise". If a real emergency takes place, the pipeis preceded with the works "SAFEGUARD! SAFEGUARD! SAFEGUARD!". At the end of the exercise a pipe is made "The Safeguard Rule is no longer in force". It works very well.
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  9. Morse R .-. means - received.

R in early phonetic was Roger (now Romeo)

Got taken across when we became able to talk down the wire and not just send bleeps.

Has morphed a bit from the original.
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  10. That may work in and environment where everyone is on a ship and can hear the 'pipes'. On a radio network however sending a similar message would mean that callsigns joining the net late or 'out of comms' at the time would not be aware that the 'Safeguard Rules' are in or out.

Having a set proword which is used at the beginning and end of any non-exercise traffic works without any real problems..... just wish they would stick to one proword.... NODUF/'BULLDOG'/Real Message anyone?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. NOPLAY perhaps?

Is that one still in or was it binned?
  12. Very good point!

Or one word across all 3 services, especially with combined and joint ops. With the RN having Safeguard (Also used socially in the same way that Noduf is), the Army whatever you decide upon and the RAF, I haven't a clue what they use, it could lead to confusion.
  13. Just to reinforce Steve and Plant Pilot:

High Frequency Direction Finding (HFDF) was known as Huff-Duff. During exercise, speech safety-critical messages were preceded by 'No-Duff'. Dunno what was used on CW tranmissions.

EG exercise briefing interrupted by WO2 at last minute: "The following is No Duff, the guards are carrying firearms but the exercise will still proceed".

R for Roger would nowadays be R for Romeo, but Romeo has taken on a new meaning in some circles. (not the bloke who was sh4gging the 14-year old in that play)
  14. Used to love noduff messages - everyone listening to the net with glee to whatever disaster had befallen someone :D

Officers grimacing as they waited for the impending disaster to be told :D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. And another: WTF is durch? As in soft durch, etc?