• Grad, TA or UOTC commission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non - Grad, TA experience

• Grad, TA experience

• Total voters
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I read through the OTC threads about the purpose of OTCs etc. What is not clear is what are the backgrounds of our officer corps. Shurely someone in Upavon can crack out some statistics about this - I want to make some up!

So what's your background:

Me non graduate and it has taken approx 37 mins to type this post.

barbs,

Do you mean just Reg or both TA & Reg?

For either or both, RCB at Westbury must have the stats as - other than LE - all Officers, Reg or TA must go through them prior to RMAS and have to submit fairly detailed background info in advance.

Of course, they may not have actually compiled the stats...

I have just noticed someone is a non grad with UOTC experience 8O ???? how can that be? if they are an undergrad in the UOTC then they are not an officer, only a cadet until they join a real org such as Regular Army or TA.

Vonshot said:
I have just noticed someone is a non grad with UOTC experience 8O ???? how can that be? if they are an undergrad in the UOTC then they are not an officer, only a cadet until they join a real org such as Regular Army or TA.
Not quite; they can earn a Type 'B' commission whilst still an undergrad. This would usually put them in their third year.
Scary, huh? 8O

I s'pose they could have gone to uni, been in the UOTC and then leave before getting a degree thereby being non-grad with UOTC commission or experience.

Or are you suggesting that degrees are now so worthless that all you have to do is knock out three years' attendance :D ?

Thats me non-grad with UOTC. I failed a programming module in my final year and as a result amm still a non grad hoping to fix this at open uni but I commisioned group b while still in OTC did a year there and off to a group A unit as a sprog 2lt now Lt doing MK1 with JOTAC sometime this year.

barbs said:
Ladies and Gentlemen,
What is not clear is what are the backgrounds of our officer corps. Shurely someone in Upavon can crack out some statistics about this - I want to make some up!
The section of flesh removed during male circumsicion is hung froma nail with a weight attached. When it has stretched sufficiently, it is sent away somewhere and commissioned.
Sorry if this does not sound 'made up'

Old Red Cap

I think you'll find that isn't entirely accurate - my understanding (given to me by my first pl sgt) was that you could not be circumsized (or in your example, just a foreskin) to be an officer as the requirement was to be a complete pric*.

Barbs

barbs said:
Old Red Cap

I think you'll find that isn't entirely accurate - my understanding (given to me by my first pl sgt) was that you could not be circumsized (or in your example, just a foreskin) to be an officer as the requirement was to be a complete pric*.Barbs
Sorry - In my day we had some respect for officers and realised they would not be complete prycks

A class B commission :roll: thats second best then? :D I was always of the opinion that the OTC was just that, a "Training corps" some with potential, some snotty sh1ts who needed a clip around the ear :D

What about the large number of officers who have previously served as toms before commissioning?

Do they not fit into your conception of the Army? How sad.

Calypso said:
What about the large number of officers who have previously served as toms before commissioning?

Do they not fit into your conception of the Army? How sad.
I must admit Calypso that I had overlooked that particular grouping as I was concentrating on something else... :oops:

Quite interested in what is the favoured deliberate route into the commissioned ranks (I don't think many people deliberatley choose to join as a private soldier in order to become an officer in due course anymore - if they ever did, other than those completing O Types etc).

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
On the TA side quite a few people join in the ranks with the intention of commissioning. I guess you are not really talking about TA in this thread, which is why I didn't answer your poll.

I also know several people who have joined the regular Army in the ranks having passed RCB, but who have to establish residency in the UK. One being my brother-in-law who served in the same Battalion after commissioning as he had served in as a soldier.

I think it also mentioned as a reason why someone can go to RMAS more than 1 year after passing RCB.

sknn

You'd be surprised how many turn up up to 8 years after passing RCB (rules used to be a 4 year limit - but its now open season) - hence 21 year old passes but when he's 28 year old and turns up feels a little out of place and a little off the pace.

Babs
Quite interested in what is the favoured deliberate route into the commissioned ranks (I don't think many people deliberatley choose to join as a private soldier in order to become an officer in due course anymore - if they ever did, other than those completing O Types etc).
The other possible route is encouraged by boss as decent sgt to apply. I went this way against my better judgement but chickened out after passing off square at Mons OCS. In retrospect, was right decision as service from sgt to WOI was just perfect for me.