Where do officers come from?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by barbs, Mar 25, 2005.

?
  1. Not an officer, leave me alone.

21.5%
  2. Non-Grad, no prior experience

15.4%
  3. Grad, no prior experience

6.9%
  4. Non - Grad, UOTC experience

3.8%
  5. Grad, UOTC experience

17.7%
  6. Non - Grad, TA or UOTC commission

8.5%
  7. Grad, TA or UOTC commission

13.1%
  8. Non - Grad, TA experience

2.3%
  9. Grad, TA experience

10.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and Gentlemen,

I read through the OTC threads about the purpose of OTCs etc. What is not clear is what are the backgrounds of our officer corps. Shurely someone in Upavon can crack out some statistics about this - I want to make some up!

So what's your background:

Me non graduate and it has taken approx 37 mins to type this post.

2. barbs,

Do you mean just Reg or both TA & Reg?

For either or both, RCB at Westbury must have the stats as - other than LE - all Officers, Reg or TA must go through them prior to RMAS and have to submit fairly detailed background info in advance.

Of course, they may not have actually compiled the stats...

3. I have just noticed someone is a non grad with UOTC experience 8O ???? how can that be? if they are an undergrad in the UOTC then they are not an officer, only a cadet until they join a real org such as Regular Army or TA.

4. Not quite; they can earn a Type 'B' commission whilst still an undergrad. This would usually put them in their third year.
    Scary, huh? 8O

5. I s'pose they could have gone to uni, been in the UOTC and then leave before getting a degree thereby being non-grad with UOTC commission or experience.

Or are you suggesting that degrees are now so worthless that all you have to do is knock out three years' attendance :D ?

6. Thats me non-grad with UOTC. I failed a programming module in my final year and as a result amm still a non grad hoping to fix this at open uni but I commisioned group b while still in OTC did a year there and off to a group A unit as a sprog 2lt now Lt doing MK1 with JOTAC sometime this year.

7. The section of flesh removed during male circumsicion is hung froma nail with a weight attached. When it has stretched sufficiently, it is sent away somewhere and commissioned.
    Sorry if this does not sound 'made up'

8. Old Red Cap

I think you'll find that isn't entirely accurate - my understanding (given to me by my first pl sgt) was that you could not be circumsized (or in your example, just a foreskin) to be an officer as the requirement was to be a complete pric*.

Barbs

9. What about LE's?

10. Please, someone bite

11. Sorry - In my day we had some respect for officers and realised they would not be complete prycks

12. Its a sad reflection of how times change!

13. What about officers who do ''in service'' degrees?

14. A class B commission :roll: thats second best then? :D I was always of the opinion that the OTC was just that, a "Training corps" some with potential, some snotty sh1ts who needed a clip around the ear :D