Where do military nicknames for stuff come from?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by 1stgulfmac, Jun 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this should be in "Cooking" or here. Sitting last night egg yolk bursting out of sarnie and youngest looks at me and asks, where does the "banjo" of egg/bacon/jam banjo come from? And also is it only cooked stuff 'cos I've never heard of a jam banjo only a buttie.

Which then led me to what other names are out there and where did they come from?
  2. Mate... Easy one... The Banjo comes from the actions on biting into soft yoke and discovering half of it down your front then moving your arm like your playing a banjo to try and clean it off... Would expect its the same for jam or any other runny substance.
  3. When you get extremely hot runny egg on your fingers what does your hand do?
  4. Grips the slop's throat.
  5. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. This is sooo hard to resist that I won't even try...

• Like Like x 1
  7. So the answer is....
  8. And the next one is .....screech! :D

9. Next subject...Stating the bleeding obvious :wink:
  10. Yep saw all that esp the bit about rubbing it of a la 'banjo playing' but still getting wah statements. Any one know the origins for real?
  11. Er. That is the real origin.

Just because it's stupid, doesn't mean it isn't true.
  12. Bloody convicts will try to claim the credit for anything. Worse than the Jocks, and that's saying something. "Och aye we invented the telephone, and the barrel and the decimal point and the Television and the word scrotum and the solar system, the noo".
  13. I donlt buy the joke explanation about fanning the dribbly egg. I suspect its a word from soke oriental language sounding like Banjo but meaning sandwich.
  14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Well you go away and research it and when you prove your case you may feel smug and shoot down an army (if you'll pardon the pun) of us who recognise the banjo-playing name derivation learned by each of us the first time we ate one after a patrol in NI ... or wherever.