Where did the MT go?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ugly, Apr 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Anyway I have been offered a 1970's 3/4 ton LWB Landy. 5 new tyres, new tilt, tax exempt from an old soldier as he doesnt use it any more, only did 43 miles last year in it.
    It will need engine work to get it going and brakes checking etc but apart from a little dent in the front wing (no FMT 3) I'm wondering if its worth £1.5k. I probably am too fat to fit behind the steering wheel nowadays! :oops:
  2. From your description it's probably worth half that - £1K at the most.

Nice though - I'd like a 1/2 ton lightweight myself.
  3. Hi, sorry for the quote but i wanted to see what you wrote so i dont forget while i reply.

The wagon is worth £750 - £950 if the magazine i browsed earlier can be relied upon. the new tilt will have cost a reasonable amount, but wont really affect the book price on it ... it will certainly be offset or worse by the need for engine work. Major things to look for is corrosion to the chassis and outriggers, whether the engine is original / modified, and to check the bulkhead for corrosion too.

Sounds fantastic otheriwse, I would like it!
  4. what magazine was it? LRO is a great magazine but the quotes in the back pages are always a bit funny and quote a lot less than what everyone seems to pay.

There's a lot more to tell us about the wagon too. Which engine is it? Is the chassis galvanised? How much rust is there elsewhere (wheel arches, footwells, and bottoms of doors are prime rust spots)?

If you're after a nice ex-army Rover there's always Series 3's going on various sites for great prices... or buy a civvi one and militarise it... I did! (turned a 1984 110 into a wolf replica, complete with 300Tdi!)
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'll pass on it but knowing the chap as ex reme and his son too its probably in reasonable condition, it has odd brakes and needs a new carb as far as I know thats all it needs mechanically!