Where did the Infantry lead you in life?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by carlbcfc, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im having a nightmare picking my 1, 2, 3 at the moment. I know 1, but struggling for the rest due to lack of options right now.

Being 27 with kids, the sensible option is to make use of time away and get a trade. As of today I see it as a career, although things can change in life.

My question is what has/can being an Infantry soldier gain you that is transferable to civvy life?

Reason I ask is I know ex Inf that work in factories now, not where I want to go back to.

Edited....er...maybe this is best in the Infantry forum?
  2. I know a few go into the civvi police.
  3. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I went from infantry to a trade then into industry. I am now middle management in a major defence business.
  4. i know a few that went into the prison service!
  5. Got a mate who's with the old bill. He was with the Royal Fusiliers before he left to become join the piggy wiggies.

And a couple of the lecturers at uni were ex INf too
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It will take you where ever you want to go. Nothing in life will be handed to you on a plate (unless your Mum is Queen).

As said before some have joined the Prison service. On the same tack, some have ended up in prison on the other side of the door.

You are obviously attracted to the infantry life so try it. If you don't like it after a few years, transfer.
  7. My first choice is Comms System Operator. If Infantry is 10 for contact, where would Comms be?

I know Afghanistan is dangerous for all at the moment but if you understand what I mean.
  8. best to assume you will get nothing transferrable to civvy street when joining the infantry, then graft when your in to make your situation post service more attractive to employers then you will be suprised at what you come out with, I dont think Infantry as an individual service offers you much but as a part of the army you are capable of achieving plenty despite not gaining transferrable skills from being an infantryman, long story short there are plenty of opportunities whatever service you choose so pick the one you think suits you most,not what you think you will get out of it after..

9. Found this quite inspirational..!! Will take heed. Nice one Dollsteeth :)
  10. I know a few that went to prison!
  11. I'm still serving but I'm also a qualified teacher, project manager, I have had some of the best managerial experience imagined and can generally turn my hand to almost anything because that is what the Infantry has taught me - self sufficiency, motivation and the ability to strive for success.

I think for someone who left school with next to nothing I haven't done badly. The reason for this is I've bothered my arrse to do something about my education and got the Army to do something about it too, as well as pay for it. I've also got the Army to pay for a degree level course which I'm studying at the moment.

The good thing about the Army is, if you have the ability and motivation to improve yourself they will help you.

It's very easy to sit on your backside and do nothing but it won't get you anywhere, I wish I'd done something about it earlier.
  12. Surely if you are 27, you will already have some skills and a career history that you can fall back on should you leave after six years?

I joined at 22, after working in sales, and that's what I went back to when I left.

The job market is not the same as it was for our parents generation, where you get stuck in one career stream. So a change of scene in the infantry, would not necessarily stop you going back to what you did before.
  13. The infantry gave me the self confidence to move on, transfer to another corps, learn new skills and I now have my own business.

I am also still proud of having been an infantryman first and foremost!

14. The Infantry has helped me firmly establish myself in my new career as the Town Drunk.

I can consume vast quantities of cheap alcohol, sleep in the gutter without discomfort and I don't panic when I wake up in a cell with no memory of how I arrived there. I am a superb scrounger, talented tea leaf and when it comes to random fisticuffs with complete strangers I usually emerge victorious. Magistrates who don't already know me, tend towards leniency when I stand to attention in the dock and address them as 'Sir'.

Seriously though: If you serve in the Infantry you will (have the opportunity to) emerge determined, flexible and unshockable. You will be able to pick yourself back up when life knocks you down, and you'll stay calm in situations that would give other people immediate heart attacks. You will develop a mindset where the job gets done regardless of difficulties and lack of resources. If you have the strength of character to lead and win the respect of a section of Infantry soldiers, you will never lack for confidence and authority wherever you go in life.

Don't believe the stereotypes of thick ex Infantry soldiers working for minimum wage as security guards, factory hands or warehouse staff - plenty do - but there is no inevitability to it.

Nor is the only other option to join the Police or Prison Service - many choose it because they think it will be similar in cerrtain respects to a job they have already enjoyed.

I've done all kinds of interesting and exciting jobs since I left - I also did a few dismal soul destroying ones as well - Civvy Street is a learning curve just like anything else.
  15. No mate, I dont want to go back to a factory, have you tried one??...brain dead work.

Sales?..double glazing, gas & electric....again, shite jobs.

So when your back home you can enrol on a course? How many days per week can you get away for that?