Where did Labour get my name and address?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by colton, Apr 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had some gawky teenager put a letter though my door at 1pm on a Sunday. I asked him what it was and he just kept going and said "read it, it's important".

It was addressed to me personally, but Ive never voted, been a member of, supported or contacted Labour in my life so how did they manage to get my name and address correct for house I only just moved to?? I just registered to vote here and the only utilities that have changed over is gas/electric/phone and my banks so where did they get my name and address?!

The letter is anti-tory spin, all about why the tories are bad and nothing about why labour is good. People round here seem to be old hardcore labour pensioner types, who have become disillusioned and are starting to change their minds.

Heres the letter -

Dear Mr XXXX

Let's stop the Tories damaging Scotland again!

I am sure you will remember the damage done to Scotland by a Tory government. Few people want to go back to that, but a Tory government is a real threat.

David Cameron's Tories are committed to:

A tax cut of £200,000 for the richest estates in Britain.

And to help pay for it, they will:

End tax credits
    Freeze child benefit
    Slash funding from our local services here in Renfrewshire
    Enforce a pay freeze on some of the most modest paid workers

So I ask for your support to stop the Tories damaging Scotland again. You may be unhappy with some aspects of Labour policy. Or indeed you may normally vote for another party. However, I ask you to remember that a vote for the SNP, Liberal Democrats, any other party or not even voting will all help the Tories to return by the back door.

I know you want change in our country and that chance will be achieved by building our economic recovery and investing in skills and people. The Tories offer a plan which will increase hardship to benefit the wealthiest. Please help us to stop them!

With your support, I will do my best to ensure Scotland is safe from a Tory government and can continue to build a recovery from which the many can benefit, not just the few.

Yours sincerely

Jim Sheridan
    Labour, Paisley & Renfrewshire North

ps. Please remember, voting SNP or Lib Dem will actually help the Tories get back in.
  2. That's nice of him. Therefore, it's only right and proper that you write back to him:

Dear Jim,

Your Great Leader is functionally illiterate.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Local Council run by Labour, is it? :wink:
  4. Political parties get access to the full electoral roll, so it's your voter registration that did it even if you opted out of the commercially saleable list.

5. No, SNP (17) + Lib Dem (4) coallition. Against Labour 17 and Tory 2.

MP and MSP are both Labour. MP is usually considered a very safe seat, but there has been an SNP rising and the SSP appear to be gaining some support.
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

...but fuck your principles and vote for us anyway.

7. Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale area is the only Tory seat to my knowledge.

The Torys gaining control of Jockland is about as likely as pushing shit uphill with a rubber fork.
  8. Given that the constituency has been rock-solid Labour for the entire post-war period, the implication that a vote for someone other than them will let the Conservative party in rather flies in the face of electoral history.

And that's before you realise that Labour are getting most of their policies from the Tories, so by voting for them you'll actually be guaranteeing government according to the principles of the Tory party.

Contemptible, indeed.