Where could I buy a cheap 125CC Bike?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by DMan, Oct 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey GUys,

Im looking at getting a bike for commuting to Uni.

Any Advice?

Dman.

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've got an SMC YB125. It's a Chinese hybrid copy of a KTM/Honda motocross bike and many of the parts are interchangeable, fast enough, looks ok, does 1million miles to the gallon, sounds better than your average hairdryer and best of all, it cost £900 brand new.

[​IMG]

Edited to add: The bike is also marketed as a Galaxy XTR, there are reviews on the net about them and some close up pics:

Galaxy XTR250F Enduro - ::. UKGSer.com .::

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ebay? Biketrader.co.uk? Also, look in the back of the free car classified mags that you sometimes see in Garages - they often have a small section of bikes.

4. Yamaha YBR125. I get 110mpg out of mine, reliable as anything and top speed of about 65-70mph. Will cost you a bit more than the cheap chinese crappy makes, but will be worth it. Picked mine up for £1400 with 4.5k miles and in excellent condition.

Looking to sell it soon actually, sadly :(

5. My budget is around £700-£800 so i think the YBR125 might be out of the q

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, since you ask. Get a ******* haircut.

7. Gumtree lots of 125cc bikes for sale.

8. Already had one recently lol

9. Nothing to do with a new bike. But who the **** to I set up a new post? it says CMS section top right hand corner but I have "jobs" in there... not a *Wah*

10. And don't type 'lol' don't confuse here with Bebo.

11. won't happen again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Hello Sailor. New in town?

13. Yep I am. Only about 2 weeks but still going through the FAQ and not sure if I have to register with vbulletin etc. Bit of a greenhorn.

14. Nothing wrong with Chinese bikes so long as you treat them like disposable razors; throw it away when you're finished with it and buy a new one.

OP: Have a search in here: Bikes & Accessories - Bike Chat Forums

15. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That's the plan, the bike is a year old now and I've done about 2000 miles on it, it seems to be going nicely and I have changed the oil once. All the parts seem to be well made but it appears to have been assembled by.....well.......a Chinaman.

I'd recommend anyone who buys a Chinese bike to disassemble the thing straight away and then rebuild it putting loads of Locktite on everything.

As components start to fail/fall off on mine, I plan to replace them with the decent Honda/KTM bits which should last longer, then when it's totally fucked I'll whack some knobbly tyres on it and use it for blasting around the farm.