Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where can I get this?

That’s interesting, I read online they can be cheaper than a van if re-registered as a camper. Presumably because the assumption is that a camper will only be used occasionally.
I think it maybe something to do with repairing if accident damaged?
As there will be no off the shelf spares available. I have an autotrail scout which is virtually the same premium as my car and reasonable.my friend who has a ducato self build cant even get close premium wise.
Good luck with it anyway and post some progress photos.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Some great responses folks. I love Arrse (no, not in that way). I spent nearly an hour googling and got nowhere. You guys get results in minutes. :)
that's cos google is run by a bunch of techno sprogs

whereas we are old and wise with beards of grey

Awol

LE
I had a Mercedes 407d that I gutted and modified parts of a caravan interior to fit.

I dropped a lot of weight from the original bodge by binning the oversized (metal) water tank, the bull bar style bumpers, removing all the 30mm ply and the baffling array of very thick metal supports/brackets
Years ago (1990ish) I bought a 1976 Bedford CF van that was bare, but had been fitted with a lifting roof and a couple of windows. I fitted out the back with a couple of seats and a table (converted into a bed), sink unit, loo, cooker etc and with the BBIM (bastard bitch I married), traveled around Europe twice. It was fantastic with some truly great memories. Sadly the old CF dissolved into the ground and I’ve been looking for a replacement ever since.

wheel

LE
I think it maybe something to do with repairing if accident damaged?
As there will be no off the shelf spares available. I have an autotrail scout which is virtually the same premium as my car and reasonable.my friend who has a ducato self build cant even get close premium wise.
Good luck with it anyway and post some progress photos.
Tell him to try Adrian Flux.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I suppose it is down to what you value the van at.

if you place a silly value on the internal build it would be high.

Awol

LE
I suppose it is down to what you value the van at.

if you place a silly value on the internal build it would be high.
I’ve only insured it TPFT anyway so the value of the internals won’t count.

The insurance was the same as my car insurance, no problem there, but the tax was a nasty surprise, nearly £300.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Chaps, Today I’ve just bought myself a humungous Iveco van to convert into a camper. Although it’s essentially an empty van, a previous owner has kindly fitted a proper camper shower and toilet, a hot water heater, a cold water tank, electric sockets and external 240v hook ups.

I plan to make all the internal furniture and, to save weight, have decided to use this stuff (covered in Formica type stuff) for the non-load bearing bits, (cupboard doors etc).

View attachment 491880

It’s a cardboard honeycomb type material and weighs less than a beetle’s bollock. In a previous job it arrived as a packing material in 5ft square sheets and was skipped as worthless to be recycled.

The trouble is I don’t know where to get it (my old employer is 400 miles away now) and I don’t even know what it’s called to be able to carry out a Google search.

Anyone got any idea?
internal doors are lined with it
if you get flush ones you could use them as is for work surfaces
otherwise 3mm ply with 20,, by 20mm timber sections glued it to re inforce

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s interesting, I read online they can be cheaper than a van if re-registered as a camper. Presumably because the assumption is that a camper will only be used occasionally.
install a decent tracking device
even home converted campers get nicked
the travelling element like to strip them and sell the fixtures
PM me if you need info

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Or have a mooch down to Howdens and see if they're throwing any old units or doors out, cut to suit.

Or even leave a note for a kitchen fitter, if they rip a half decent kitchen out take a couple of the units and doors etc?
Not a good idea, too much weight too high, can make the vehicle very unstable, and it can fail the MOT if the tester thinks it is out of balance
thin and light is the key, like a boat

Chaps, Today I’ve just bought myself a humungous Iveco van to convert into a camper. Although it’s essentially an empty van, a previous owner has kindly fitted a proper camper shower and toilet, a hot water heater, a cold water tank, electric sockets and external 240v hook ups.

I plan to make all the internal furniture and, to save weight, have decided to use this stuff (covered in Formica type stuff) for the non-load bearing bits, (cupboard doors etc).

View attachment 491880

It’s a cardboard honeycomb type material and weighs less than a beetle’s bollock. In a previous job it arrived as a packing material in 5ft square sheets and was skipped as worthless to be recycled.

The trouble is I don’t know where to get it (my old employer is 400 miles away now) and I don’t even know what it’s called to be able to carry out a Google search.

Anyone got any idea?
Buy a shitheap scrapper caravan and strip the lightweight furniture out of it. tow the empty shell to the local scrapyard.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve only insured it TPFT anyway so the value of the internals won’t count.

The insurance was the same as my car insurance, no problem there, but the tax was a nasty surprise, nearly £300.

if you fit a wood burner do your emmisions go up?

You could also look at Wedi board, ultra light weight, very strong yet versatile. I have used it for many DIY applications in the past

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Not a good idea, too much weight too high, can make the vehicle very unstable, and it can fail the MOT if the tester thinks it is out of balance
thin and light is the key, like a boat
which is why you fit the water tanks underneath.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

You could also look at Wedi board, ultra light weight, very strong yet versatile. I have used it for many DIY applications in the past

how easy is it to control the demons you summon accidentally though?

View attachment 491880

It’s a cardboard honeycomb type material and weighs less than a beetle’s bollock. In a previous job it arrived as n idea how well it catchesa packing material in 5ft square sheets and was skipped as worthless to be recycled.

Anyone got any idea?
Great idea from a strength vs weight standpoint. If you do find any, I'd be tempted to try burning a piece to get an idea of how well it catches. This woman had the idea of using 1" thick honeycomb cardboard for emergency shelters. Unlike your requirement she intended two layers to be used with an infill of sand, gravel or soil. They double dip the board in fireproofing liquid, before spraying to make them waterproof.
Colorado Woman Invents Cardboard Shelters For Disaster Areas
I wonder if you could use old pallets for the internal frame. It's a bit rough and that softwood burns with a hell of a heat though so needs proofing too. You don't want to build a Wicker Man van.
Have you tried GumTree? Sometimes stuff is advertised for disposal or a small amount of cash.

Latest Threads