Where can I end up?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by LostInTranspiration, Jan 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, firstly I should probably explain that as much as I know about useless Military facts, I know little about the organisation of the British army and rather than continue to look at the armyjobs.mod.uk thing I thought I'd ask you lot.

1. If you sign up at/come from a spesific town or place can you only be part of regiments from there?

2. How much can you pick and choose what/where you join as long as you've got the qualifications?

3. I've got 10 just above average GCSEs and pretty much nothing else. What can I do with that? Apparently I can try for officer but can I really? (I'd like to)
  2. Spend a bit more time on armyjobs.
  3. If you can't be arsed why should we?
  4. I thought maybe as you're in the army (I'd hope) you'd know off hand. I said I can't find it on army jobs.
    It keeps telling me to take a pathfinder and get a colour... I thought playing the equivalant of coloured bingo with myself is admitting defeat somewhat.
  5. Ok... whilst I can sympathise that the armyjobs site isn't the easiest to navigate, it does hold most of the answers to these questions so I'd recommend you do give it a shot. Failing that, try the search function on this site, most of these questions have been asked many times before.

That being said, in answer to your questions (bearing in mind I'm no authority on these things):
    1: No, nothing strictly stopping you from joining any regiment/corp. Whilst many regiments (particularly infantry) have specific recruitment areas, these are not compulsory and many regiments don't have them e.g. the Parachute Regiment
    2: Generally the Army have an interest in letting you join the unit you choose, subject to your performance in the selection process.
    3: The minimum requirements for Officer Selection are A Levels.

Hope that goes some way towards what you wanted to know.
  6. Thanks for the infomation.
  7. This link will tell you everything you need to know about the structure of the British Army (and more):

Most infantry and cavalry regiments will actively recruit from certain parts of the UK (although there is nothing stopping you joining a different regiment if you so wish). Corps recruit nation-wide and if you join one, where you come from will have absolutely no impact on where you will be posted.

Where are you from and what do you want to do in the army?
  8. You will have to try harder than that if you want to be an army officer, lad.
  9. Nice site, cheers wedge! :D