Where are the Bustards?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Victorian_Major, Dec 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right. Where on the Plain are the Bustards? Because:

1. Last year was Goose, the year before, Turkey. Now the Victorian family fancies something a bit more exotic.

2. It's the ultimate free-range bird (geddit?)

3. It is highly unlikely that there is a feckin' Nigella/Hugh/Delia/Mary Berry recipe for one. So Mrs V_M can be pointed discreetly at the sherry and told to go forth and entertain.

4. I'll make Bill Oddie cry which is no bad thing.

5. They are practically illegal immigrants.

So - six figure grid please and I'm also taking orders.

2. SU091460

3. Apparently not VM, Mr Hugh Fernley Whittingtw@t has one...

In the UK the Turducken is commonly known as a three-bird roast. English chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall expanded this into a ten-bird roast (a turkey, goose, duck, mallard, guineafowl, chicken, pheasant, partridge, pigeon, woodcock)

The largest recorded nested bird roast is 17 birds, attributed to a royal feast in France in the 19th century (originally called a Rôti Sans Pareil, or "Roast without equal") - a bustard stuffed with a turkey, a goose, a pheasant, a chicken, a duck, a guinea fowl, a teal, a woodcock, a partridge, a plover, a lapwing, a quail, a thrush, a lark, an Ortolan Bunting and a Garden Warbler. The final bird is small enough that it can be stuffed with a single olive; it also suggests that, unlike modern multi-bird roasts, there was no stuffing or other packing placed in between the birds. This dish probably could not be recreated in the modern era as many of the listed birds are now protected species.

Just need to get yourself down to the nearest Aviary for the Ortlan Bunting

good eatings VM..

JR

4. V_M, what you are proposing is absolutely disgraceful to a wonderful bird.

Will it be roasted or creamy mash potatoes with it?

5. Ah, yes...would that be meleagris gallopavo, first domesticated for food by the Aztecs and brought here by the Espaneesh?

You're better off running down a badger if you want a British main course. :D

ETA: Sarcasm apparently harder for Yanks to detect online! :oops:

6. Thats why I put the word native in single quotes

7. Or do it the authentic Victorian way with a couple of Jack Russells and a cricket bat.

8. Ha Ha Ha.

No not the Biker Pub/Trailer Park complex.

The pub smells of wee and I once got a black eye from a little old lady in the trailer park!

9. 54. Bustards [and cranes].
    Roast them like stork; eat them with fine salt. Cranes likewise.

10. I'm just trying to imagine who the guy was that looked at the stork and thought, "Screw the cow, I bet I can get a lot of meat off that baby."

11. [quote="TankiesYank]
    I'm just trying to imagine who the guy was that looked at the stork and thought, "Screw the cow, I bet I can get a lot of meat off that baby."[/quote]

Yeah but look at the size of the drumsticks you'd get :D

12. I'm just trying to imagine who the guy was that looked at the stork and thought, "Screw the cow, I bet I can get a lot of meat off that baby."[/quote]

Must have been the same guy who saw something drop out of a hen`s arse and thought, `Hey, I`ll boil that for three minutes and have that with some toast!`

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Traditionally one stuffs a bustard into a swan. Be sure to send a picture to Bill Oddie and Her Majesty?

14. Are they wearing CBA? No matter a 0.44 Black Talon will still take the feckers out :twisted: